Question -- seeing tormenting images

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prinnctopher's Belt

Antiquities Friend
SF Supporter
Is there some disorder for having sadistic images streaming through your mind? I can't describe exactly what I'm seeing because it's too graphic and disturbing to post here, but think that this is what I'm seeing everyday. This morning I woke up, and for an hour I kept seeing the same thing. It's to the point where I'm seeing them in public and it's affecting me physically. I'll start twitching, cringing, frowning, and even crying as if I'm actually feeling the pain that I'm seeing.

Why is this happening to me?

Also, when I was an adolescent I was exposed to lots of violence and disturbing images, and after 9/11 it just got worse. Even before my adolescence in my childhood I had somewhat of a psychopathic trait. College distracted me for a while because I was drinking and doing perception-altering narcotics, or was busy studying or in an extracurricular activity. I've been out of school for two years, and only in the past six months or so have I started having these visions, and over the past couple of weeks they've gotten out of my control. And this is in addition to what's already wrong with me.

Does anyone know if this problem has a classification?

I used to deal with the same thing, disturbing images but I never found out what it was or what it was linked to. Over time the problem disappeared though. I'm sorry I couldn't be more help, but it might be worth asking your therapist if you have one and explaining to him/her what you are seeing.

bluegrey

Antiquities Friend
Maybe it is OCD related? OCD gives it's sufferers, like myself, intrusive thoughts and mental images which are more often than not terribly upsetting. A typically shared OCD experience is when cutting food with a knife and a loved one comes near, the intrusive mental image is the OCD sufferer is stabbing the loved one.

I was talking about my depression to my psychiatrist and how it is triggered by my OCD and she told me of a woman in her seventies she just admitted to her psychiatric ward who was suicidally depressed over the OCD mental image of molesting her toddler grandson.

Can you research OCD or discuss the illness with a psychologist/psychiatrist?

Nox Immortalis

wow I've never given it much thought, just thought I was a freak, but I know what you're talking about.. but for me, it's not so much sadistic as seeing myself and loved ones, scared, running, screaming, something. I can't see that much of it... dreams, too..

I have the same problem, vivid and graphic imagery both waking and sleeping and on a bad day nothing turns it down. Except I was never exposed to violence as a child, and I have stayed away from it as an adult.

I have a friend who is diagnosed OCD, and she was doing research (for me, because I told her) and she mentioned something called Morbid Compulsory Thought Disorder. Might be worth looking up, regardless of the cause, I think those are good words for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00