Question to all poets.

Discussion in 'Poet's Corner' started by georgeo10yal, Aug 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. georgeo10yal

georgeo10yal Well-Known Member

I've always had a hard time trying to get my ideas to paper. Any suggestions on how to do this successfully? I'd appreciate anything. If you do want to read any poetry I've written I did post a poem on here I wrote about 6 months ago.

Here's the link: http://www.suicideforum.com/showthread.php?t=94062

2. Speedy

Speedy Staff Alumni

I enjoyed reading that and have one question: Have you found more love since that poem was written? Are there any changes you would make to that poem if you were to amend it today? :hug:

As for suggestions to help you get started writing poems... I have no idea. Good luck with the future responses. ;)

3. georgeo10yal

If I were to revise it today nothing would've changed. Maybe it would be a little more positive but no love, still in the same position 7+ months after writing that. In fact I feel some days it's worse. I need to stop hanging out with people in relationships that seems to help some days.

EDIT: Well I can't say that I haven't found love. I love someone but I've attempted multiple times but she says she only considers me a best friend/brother.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2011
  4. Julia-C

Julia-C Well-Known Member

George, I havn't had time to read your poetry yet. I will though.

When I decide to write a poem I decide what the message, emotion, or story is that I want to get across to the reader. Usually with me that message, emotion, or story can be further broken down into specific points. Each of these points with me generally make up a verse (stanza) in the poem. Many times before I write I will decide on the number of points I need to make to get the entire message, emotion, or story told.

I further decide If I want this to be easily self personalized by the reader. Basically do I want the reader to feel like they are a character in the poem, or a reader of my story or another's story. If I want to draw them in and evoke an emotional reaction from them I will be less specific about the details and tell the story or describe the emotion in general terms so that they can more easily personalize with it. If I intend to tell my story I give more details.

I will usually write a super rough draft which isn't poetic in any shape or form. I will usually write a few sentences for each verse (stanza) that describes that verse.

The second draft is written in a crude poetic form that has the basic idea, story, emotion, and layout. I will often use overused cliches like "till the end of time", but in the next draft I will replace the overused cliches with something more unique. Example "till life's last breath". I also am in the process of deciding if I want the poem to rhyme at this point. The reason why I wait is because for me the story line is more important then rhyming words. I often get trapped in a rhyme and have to change the story if I want it to rhyme. That's why most of mine don't rhyme.

In the 3rd and final draft I basically go through and polish the wording and syllable count. I have found that syllable count (timing) is very important for flow especially with rhyming poems.

I hope that can help.

5. In Limbo

In Limbo Forum Buddy

Hi George,

I should say at this point that I write sporadically, but if you want to find my stuff then search my started threads on my profile - my stuff is on there - I've also had a bit of poetic back-and-forth with Sadeyes on a couple of her threads in that section.

A few thoughts on this - and some of what I'm about to say will probably completely contradict Julia's excellent post above - but I guess that just shows that everyone's methodology is different.

Have a central theme/image/story in mind - you can explain this to your reader as much or as little as you like within the piece - but if you have a feel for where the write should go, I find it tends to lead to less faffing around.

Don't force things: If an idea's not working at the time then leave it - you can always come back to it.

Don't try to crowbar in rhymes - that's not to say that all rhymes shouldn't be done - but sticking them where they don't belong can be frustrating and leads to one stretching the things too far. This is why so much of my work tends towards poetic prose - I'm not comfortable getting too hung up on something.

Read your stuff as you write. Read it aloud and to yourself - does it work how you want it to?

Read your stuff retrospectively - sometimes a break of a few months or even a year can mean you look at your own stuff much more objectively. Particularly if like me, it takes a while for you to remember what each piece is about!

Happy Writing!

6. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

I will suddenly get a line go thru my head, usually triggered by something occuring in life, this is when a pen and notebook come in handy.
    I you always carry them and u do get a sudden poetic muse strike you can jot it down and then work on it later.

7. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

Ditto Terry's post.

For me, I usually get a line or an idea out of the blue and I build the from that.

A fun idea for getting yourself "inspired" or started is to use a Magnetic Poetry Kit. The kits provide a lot of words, and some stray letters to build more words with. When we are limited by the words we can choose to start off, it can focus us to find what we really want to say. Google "Magnetic Poetry Kits" and try some of the links to learn more about the kits.

I read your poem. It is very intense. I wish you have more love in your life now than when you wrote it. Your contrasting one element against another is a nice technique. Very strong ending, as well. Keep writing!

8. Sais

Sais Well-Known Member

I don't like methods, so I would only say be honest and free. Plus, poetry is not written with ideas but with words :D

You can actually tell if someone didn't feel what he/she wrote, even if the style is perfect. Like the difference between a part of meet cut from your body and you just thinking about it.

9. georgeo10yal

This happened to me last night about a half hour after I posted this. http://www.suicideforum.com/showthread.php?t=104374 That's the poem I wrote.

10. DLBach

DLBach Well-Known Member

I have been writing poetry for more than 30 years. I started because I was a very shy 13 year old and didn't have a voice. In English class the teacher did a segment on poetry where we learned various styles. I learned that through verse, I had a voice. It is my way of writing and saying what is in my heart. I have many times (most recently this past Thursday by my psychologist) been accused of "for a writer not being able to voice what I really mean".

If you are looking for form, then spend time studying various forms. I recommend just reading other peoples work. As a writer in general, I do this a lot. It is the first thing you are told to do when you decide to be a writer - READ. Read the classic, read the contemporaries. Then just let your pen take control. It will come when it is ready.

Most importantly, be true to you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.