question to all the positive responders

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by subt, Jun 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. subt

subt Member

why do you give positive advice?

2. GaiaMischief

GaiaMischief Well-Known Member

Because I believe that many people here can hang on and find happiness. I want them to believe change is possible, and that the problems they are facing are temporary and don't require such a rash and permanent solution as death. I believe everyone here has so much potential and are great people, and they could have such a great life ahead of them if they just held on a bit longer.

3. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

I believe everyone that comes to this forum has come with the hope that there is some way they can find comfort and support and some understanding for their situations. If I can somehow help them tap into that hope and give them some relief then the things I have been through that allowed me to understand where they are will not be wasted. We all need something to hang on to. Every life is worth living. It is the quality of life that needs to be changed, not the existence.

4. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

because i've been depressed myself, even attempted three times. because i have been wrong in my beliefs about myself (that i am worthless, that i am a loser, that i am alone). what i need when i feel like this is someone to tell me that it will be okay, and to know that someone -even a stranger- cares.

i am here, offering positive advice, because i want to give back some of that support that i received when i have been at my lowest.

5. thedeafmusician

thedeafmusician Staff Alumni

Quite simple. There's always hope. By offering positive advice, maybe one more person might see it. And then that one more person might tell another person about it, and that other person might tell someone else about it... and it spreads. Positivity is contagious.

TDM

6. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

Because I like to help people. If I can make even a little difference in someone I will feel like I acheived my goal for the day. I know there are others here that feel the same way. You get that warm fuzzy feeling when you help someone. That is why I am even here talking to others. By helping them I am helping myself...:chopper:

7. frankie626

frankie626 Active Member

For selfish reasons.. Maybe if I can lie to myself and think that I may have made a difference for someone else I might have a reason to continue living..

8. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

hey frankie626, it's not a lie! you do make a difference.

9. Steffz11

Steffz11 Member

Giving positive advice is probably the main thing this forum can offer, it's the purpose of it, to try it's best to improve the overall view of the person commenting. I personally respond positive because there is nothing to be gained from negative posting, it gets us no-where.

10. middleofnowhere

middleofnowhere Well-Known Member

I suppose there are some people who use this forum to write their suicide note to the world, but by far, most come with at least a shred of hope, looking for others who understand our problems from their own experience, not just from studying a psychology text. I've found that giving encouragement can often be more productive than receiving.

11. Panther

Panther Well-Known Member

Depends on what you mean by positive and what you are looking for really - me personally having been through hell and come out the other side, I refuse to believe that anyone is beyond help.

12. XXXXX

XXXXX Antiquities Friend

Good question - made me think anyway :tongue:

I guess 90% of what I write are positive responses to other people, or at least not negative.......

Why? Well, I tend to stick to posts that resonate with me (for one reason or another) and I respond cos' I figure some who posts would find a response useful, no matter what the content of the response.......but not so good on the simple offering a hug thing :unsure:

And I like the sound of my own "voice" :tongue:

But a lot of the time I read and can't be bothered don't feel like responding......but I try not to vent by being negative towards others here.

Thinking about it a bit more, interesting that most of my posts are responses.............Dr Freud where are you??!! :rolleyes:

13. touglytobeloved

touglytobeloved Well-Known Member

Probably because it's all we can offer and get here. But, speaking for myself, I can say that I dont give positive responses, I just try to give less negative responses, even I cant deny that there are a lot people here who really need positive and motivational responses and they can really help them, and also there is still hope for most of the members of this forum. So, if someone has hope, I think no one has right to take it away from him. If someone doesnt have hope, we can try to give him some hope. My point is: if you cant help yourself, try to help others.

14. Melancholy

Melancholy Well-Known Member

Because I know that personally, those few kind words could stop me attempting, and maybe succeeding. And for me that could only be a good thing. Because deep down, I don't believe I want to die. If a few words could be the difference between life and death...seems like a no brainer to me...

And I never give messages I don't believe myself..

15. lifeisashedog

lifeisashedog Well-Known Member

Because I can't give chocolate candies through the computer screen.

16. XXXXX

XXXXX Antiquities Friend

TRY HARDER :tongue:

17. janie

janie Well-Known Member

lol

my responses are based on a mix of impulsitivity, acknowledgement of awesomness(as in this case), mild insanity and a sense of caring. They're positive because i dont show my negative side here since i figure it probably doesnt help

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.