Question to those who have attempted suicide

Discussion in 'After Effects' started by Entoloma43, Sep 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Entoloma43

Entoloma43 Well-Known Member

My question is, if you were put in a psychiatric facility or whatever you want to call them (basically forced therapy), after your attempt, did it make you any better or worse?

For me, I just developed homicidal thoughts and still have suicidal ones.

The lesson I learned was to throughly and properly research methods. Well, and I learned to sleep easier sitting up :) Helpful in school sometimes

2. belle

belle Member

I feel psychiatric treatment does help.It varies from region to region (I live in the UK). If you're developing homicidal feelings I feel support and help from people is needed. I'm not judging you- from your post it sounds like intrusive thought's and you need help with these

3. I was in a psychiatric hospital for 28 days.
    It didn't help.
    It made things worse, infact.

4. Insignificant

Insignificant Account Closed

i got out of the hospital almost a month ago now and i was in there for two months and it was very helpful to me. it's all what you make it i think. just a personal opinion. please take care

5. scared_child

scared_child Account Closed

it made me alot worse, because i felt as if people didnt understand me and thought i was insane...

6. White Dove

White Dove Well-Known Member

did it do any good?? -- NOPE

They did not know what was wrong with me... said i was borderline??????

well duh... wonder why they did not know... because they were taking things my nieces ( all 3 of them ) had typed up on my computer so they thought or rather diaginoced me as either having multiple personalities or borderline skitso or whatever.. it just took me long enough to find out what all my nieces had did but i finally found some.. but only after i had to have my hard drive worked on.. which i dont know all that happened and who knows what all i was accused of but it doesnt matter..

No it did not help me.. i never was given any meds.. never have taken any meds.. my niece in florida has been on prozac before but i have never been on any kind of meds except heart pills, cholestriol pills, high blood pressure pills, asthma meds, and now the cancer drug... but no it did not help because they could not understand why i attempoted it.. was there 3 days... well duh i told them i would do it.. but hey they thought it was attention seeking, thought i was playing a game, well i showed them just how much i wanted to die and you know what?? i succeeded cause i now have cancer thats killing me.. just dragged it out is all i did..

so nope.. it did not help

7. mango_goose

mango_goose Active Member

I was in 2 times... the first time SUCKED, it was an Adult ward, and there was nothing to do.... I missed out on going to a main stream school cuz of it as well...
    The second time was better but it didnt help much... It was a youth ward so it was alot better than the adult one...

Although i think that it would have helped more if i had wanted help... at the time i didnt want help i just wanted to die....
    I seen a psychiatrist since i was 16 n im 13 now.... nothing she said did or gave me helped until i was 22.... And sudenly i figured out that i DID need help.... But also that other people couldnt FIX me.... It had to be ME working with them...
    I still have suicidal thoughts and feelings sometimes... Sometimes i still want to self harm.... I know what to do though when i feel like that....
    I have other options that dont hurt me. and i use them

8. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

So far, 2 GOOD, 2 BAD, 4 NEUTRAL. So far, therapy has my vote. Sounds like 6 people o.k. or better and 2 worse than before.

9. WhyMeWhy

WhyMeWhy Well-Known Member

I've been in the "treatment center" multiple times.... only the drugs helped. But they are no longer giving me the librium or thorazine that I recieved there.
    Being locked in with other people doesn't help me.

10. amylou

amylou Well-Known Member

I went into one volentairly it kind of helped to start with but in a way I hated in there as well. I managed to get my lighter back once and set my leg on fire not to die at that time but just to do some serious damage but my point is hospitals like prisons are not always the answer. For me when I got remanded for my own saftey It was not the right answer it just made things worse when I was in prison and it didnt stop me trying to kill myself it only made me do it more.

11. firelizardee

firelizardee Active Member

I've been in the psych ward after a suicide attempt and sometimes it does help to clear the head, especially if you are feeling confused. It can help cos there are professionals you can talk to.

12. tilly

tilly Member

I think it depends on the shrink. Some are good and really listen and care, others just want to give you a label, put you on pills and then go home and forget all about you. I've met both.
    I also believe it depends on the patient. If he want to get well badly enough, and is willing to just keep trying, eventually he will start to feel better. No one else can do the all hard work for you. Unfortunately, the problem belongs to the patient. Its tough and you will get knocked down again. Everyone does. Even those painfully happy people. The thing is to keep getting back up and trying, for your sanity and your life. Never give up. There is a light at the end of the tunnel, but sometimes you just have to dodge the traffic coming the other way.

13. aloneEliza

aloneEliza Active Member

Everyone acted mad at me (they still do) because I caused them trouble.

It made things way, way, worse. Now all I do is plan so I will be successful next time.

14. Ruby

Ruby Well-Known Member

I agree. When I think of suicide and then the possibility of being discovered and spending time in the dreaded psych unit, I make sure that my method will be fool proof.

15. Sephaus

Sephaus Well-Known Member

Being admitted to a psychiatric facility didn't help whatsoever, really made things more strained between myself and my parents, and everyone around me. If I have suicidal thoughts, and if I soon attempt it again, I most definitely will not be as careless about it as I was the first time.

16. My first time, it didn't help. Admitting me just caused more family trouble and issues with school. They wanted to keep me there for a while, but I was released a couple days later due to school. Of course, they didn't really know what was wrong with me. Clearly the pressure broke and i just cracked for one day.

17. mb75

mb75 Well-Known Member

psychiatric facilities make everything worse

18. another thing to note. While there i felt like a zombie. They drugged me up so much. Also some of my possessions that were brought in, were stolen.

19. i was detained for 6 months in a psychiatric hospital and have had four other shorter admissions to psychiatric hospitals, and yes, it has saved my life so many times. the last one, which im still at technically, has made the change, above all they generally keep you safe. without hospital i would be dead right now..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.