Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Downpour, Jul 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Downpour

Downpour Well-Known Member

I've had to talk to many medical and mental health professionals lately (doctors, psychiatrist, social worker, therapist). Every time, they suggested I go to the psychiatric emergency at the hospital after they heard what I had to say about my suicidal thoughts and actions. I never took their suggestion. This last time, though, I was almost forced to go. Basically, I was told to go voluntarily or I would be taken involuntarily even though I made it perfectly clear that I am not immediately suicidal, although I am apparently well on my way. I said I would think about going, and thankfully, I was not dragged down to the hospital. Of course, I didn't end up going.

What I'm trying to figure out now is what would've happened if I had gone. I don't understand the logic here. I was told, "go to the psych emergency, you'll probably only be there for a couple hours." Ok, so what's the point then? What more could they possibly do? I already am taking medication. I already have appointments with doctors and psychiatrists and groups and therapists. So what would be the point of getting yet another opinion, right? It's not like there's some secret treatment for depression that they have stashed away in the emergency room. From what I can see, the only purpose of making me go to the psych emergency would be to keep me there, and I absolutely do not want that. Am I missing something here?
  2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

They would keep you safe and observe your behavior and adjust your medication and watch you carefully as the changes are being made they will do all they can to get the suicdal thoughts from continuing If you work with the professionals they will help you but if you do not want their help then no one can force you to take it unless you are going to harm yourself or others
  3. Big M

Big M Well-Known Member

I agree with total eclipse, however, I will say that our mental health system ( at least in the United States) is lacking. It's basically admit you for a few hours, see how much of a danger you are, and then toss you back out on the street. I think there are too many people that are a danger to others (Colorado theatre anyone), and a danger to themselves not getting the help they need. That said, people can't read minds and you have to be up front about things and work with the doctors even if it all seems pointless. It's what we've got.
  4. flowers

flowers Senior Member

I agree with what has been said. But its hard to know. Its a case by case basis. eg I know someone who had to go to the psych hospital. It was the best thing that could have happened. Because they did get her on the exact right meds and regulated her. She left there so much better than when she went in. And she knew it. She knows it was the very best thing. So it is hard to tell what the benefit would be. It could be that a team that is set up for intensive care, all working in the same place might be beneficial. I dont know. I am glad though that you are getting lots of help. And I am glad you are posting here. If you want, keep talking here. Talk about whats going on.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.