Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by becky82, May 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. becky82

becky82 Well-Known Member

Im hoping someone will be able to help me on this or at least tell me where i might be able to get appropriate advice.

Well at work a few days ago my senior noticed some cuts/scars on my arm. She asked me straight out if i did them myself and i didnt really know what to say to that so i made a joke out of it and changed the subject. Anyway nothing more was really said about it so i just kind of assumed that she'd forgotten. Today my manager calls me up to the office. She basically said to me that she knows im self harming. She wants me to get a medical report from my doctor to show that im medically and mentally fit for work. There are 2 things that i was wondering.

Firstly are they allowed to make me get a medical because of the fact im self harming. In my opinion it isnt affecting my work, and its not caused by my job so why should it mkae a difference. ive been there 2 years now and been self harming much longer then that so doesnt that say somethnig?

Also do you think they would have grounds to fire me if i refuse to get a medical? Im not keen on going to drs at the best of times and i dont really wnat to if i can avoid it. I kind of got the impression of my manager that it was a possibility if i didnt see a dr about it although she didnt say so.

I've looked through my policies that i was given when i started my job to see if i can find the answer but couldnt see anything in there and just wondered if anyone here might be able to help. Im in the UK if that makes any difference. thanks

2. Dragon

Dragon Staff Alumni

Just going off the top of my head, and not having done any research, I would say that they wouldn't be allowed to fire you because you self harm because you could take them to court for discrimination against you... Not sure though. If they see you as a 'danger' that could be grounds for it.

~ Fee
  3. ~Nobody~

~Nobody~ Well-Known Member

I think there's a law around to protect people who are ill from being forced to stay in a job they can't handle.

Therefore, it may well be that if you don't get a certificate from your doctor saying you're fit to work, then your employer could be in trouble. That is, if they know you self harm, but aren;t seen to be encouraging you to get help, they might be accused of exploitation or making you more ill.

That's just speculation, but I'm sure after my mum had an op last year she had to have a certificate saying she was well enough to go back to work before she was allowed to. I know someone else who had cancer, but successful chemo etc, and they still weren't allowed to go back to work until they'd had six sessions of therapy about it. Even though they didn't feel it was necessary.

I'm in the UK, so I think there's a fair chance that there is some kind of law that fits the above.

I certainly don't think they'd be within their rights to fire you. Unless you aren't doing your job properly (i.e. unless you are making mistakes, staying at home a lot, etc) then it's unfair dismissal. Self harming shouldn't make you less capable of working. Depression/whatever might do, but really that's your call.

I take it you are dead against going to your doctor?

Are you having any counselling or anything already?

Sorry you're in this situation :hug:.
  4. Nelka

Nelka Member

Laws vary depending on where you live. I'm afraid I'm not familiar with what the rules are in the UK. I assume the HIPPAA laws aren't quite the same as they are over here.

They might be making this request for their own protection. Employers want to cover their asses from lawsuits. Having something in writing simply means they did their part and if anything happens, they're not responsible.

Frankly I don't see the harm in getting the medical report. I imagine most doctors understand SI and will agree that you are fit to work. I would also make sure to get a copy for yourself and keep a record of any discrimination you might experience from now on.
  5. becky82

becky82 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replys

Im not sure about going to see a dr. I havent even registered with a dr since i moved house becuse i dont like going to them. The thing is that even though im not keen on my job it is the only thing that keeps me vaguely sane. The majority of the time its the only time i see anyone, its the only reason i leave the house and im scared about what would happen if i lost that. If i went to the dr and he did sign me off then i really dont know what to do.
    Im not seeing a councellor or anything and im not sure i want to. Im really scared about whats going to happen. :cry:
  6. Sil

Sil Well-Known Member

I think they want be reassured that you are not "mentally troubled". Maybe they think that you are a sort of crazy because you're self harming, and want to be sure if they can rely on you. I would see the dr, to show them that you can do your work perfectly. I think it is just a precaution, so don't be scared :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.