question

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Unreg, Oct 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Unreg

Unreg Guest

how do you cope with the fact that it isn't possible to help everyone?

2. fade

fade Guest

that everyone is there own person and makes their own choices, and in the end they must be the ones to take charge of their lives. You can only help someone for so far.

we are all individuals

3. jcat

jcat Staff Alumni

we help those that want the help. at least for me that is what i try to do. i can only help those that ask.

4. numberman

numberman Well-Known Member

The point of a forum like this is to help as many people as we can. The anonymity of a computer often means that people will open up more than a face-to-face liaison.

There are many people on here who have suffered black gloom and who have battled and fought for a long time and many of these have "come out the other side". The experiences of this can be invaluable in dealing with others.

Ultimately it is true that only those who truly want to be helped can be hepled but the simple fact that postings are made to this forum show that the "posters" are calling for help.

There is a saying in the jewish community that "if you can save one person you save the world" so no maybe unfortunately not everyone can be helped/saved but every person who can be is worth every second of the effort expended to do so.

5. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

I guess I have a differnt perspective on what is done here...I do not save, help or guide anyone...this may be the secondary gain of the interaction, but for me, I spend the time finding compassion for each person in each interaction...in that way, the goal is very different...if I have found my compassion and treated someone with grace and understanding, i have done all i can do in that moment...this is why the purposeful hostility, without request for forgiveness, stings when I read it...I have been as tortured as most, seen the worst of humankind, but maintain a premise, that to be unkind is to continue the abuse that I have seen...integrity is not to be bartered with...therefore the goals here should be small and include the notion of personal gain as well (even Mother T did not truly believe in altruism)...just my thinking, but I do applaud your sentiment, J

6. ~PinkElephants~

~PinkElephants~ Senior member

You just do. You have to realize that you can't help everyone and that at times you need to worry about you. Be a little selfish and make sure you're okay above all else :hug:

7. Unreg

Unreg Guest

i guess. but then what if because you help so many people that you get scared to ask for help because u have been living up to a larger than life thing all along? how do u not feel guilty for asking for help, or admitting that things are shit/

8. Blackness

Blackness Guest

I find that helping others helps me, people who know me I don't (like to) talk much about myself or my issues. I prefer to listen and help others and therefore help myself.
    Who said it's not possible to help everyone, we can sure as hell give it a go! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.