Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Sa Palomera, Mar 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sa Palomera

Sa Palomera Well-Known Member

graphic, possible triggers

Okay this might be a bit of an odd question, but I'm kinda worried. I'm not like worried sick or anything, it's just been on my mind for a few weeks now and all.. Anyway here's the story (might be told a bit chaotic, but please bare with me):

I've always had like a high limit for pain. I don't feel pain too quickly. (For the record: I'm talking about physical pain here). For example if I wash my hands when I've painted or anything, I wash them rather hot, and then the person who washes their hands after me burns themselves or says the water's way too hot. I also am always the one who has to do the dishes, rather than dry them, because I can have the water warmer than others.
    My mate likes to bit people. When she bites me, I barely feel it, and by the time I does start to hurt and I tell her to stop it's too late and I end up walking around with teeth marks on me for over a week.
    Yesterday was another bad situation. someone wanted to hit my bum 12 times when it was midnight, so I was like "alright, hit it, full speed". The guy is really strong you know.. and he started hitting, not too hard at first but after the fifth hit he went full on, and at ten he had to stop for a minute, and his hand was all red and tingly. My bum barely was hurting at all. So then he did the last 2 hits and he did them as hard as he could.. and I felt it, but it didn't exactly hurt.. Then I had a look and my bum was all red and glowing, apparently.

This is getting on my nerves, because I'm afraid that one time I'll end up self harming too bad, because I can't feel it well enough. What if I go too far one day?

Is it normal to have such a high pain limit? Is it normal that you feel so little pain?

You know perhaps it has something to do with this other odd 'thing' I have? Like, I'm always warm. When I'm outside I can be chilly, but I'm never cold (except for when I'm ill). Like, this february, I went to lay outside on the grass in my bikini, I wasn't even chilly. In the middle of the winter I walk around in t-shirts and even go outside to smoke cigs in just a t-shirt, whereas my mates are standing next to me wearing shirt, sweater, coat AND a scarf...

What is wrong with me? Anybody got a clue?

I don't feel like seeing a doctor about it, because I've had this all for so long, and it's not like it's going to kill me, I'm just really curious about it, because I am scared of what I'll end up doing to myself, and I'm not talking about purposely (selfharm), but more about things that can happen accidentally, as I'm such an extremely clumsy person.
  2. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

Some people's nerve endings are not as close to the surface of the skin so they don't feel pain the same way others do. there are also some conditions that people can have that makes them intolerable to pain. If it is something you are truly concerned about then maybe you should have it checked out. Otherwise make sure you are conscious about being extra careful. As for the cold-I don't know. I rarely wear a coat even in below 0 F temperatures. Cold does not seem to bother me at all. So I don't think that is so strange, but people tell me I am crazy standing outside in a blizzard with shorts and a t-shirt, so....
  3. Bob26003

Bob26003 Well-Known Member

I like GentleLady's advice Ester. If it really concerns you, have it checked out. Just to put it in bed in yer mind if anything else.

Also, what the hell was that guy smacking yer bum so hard for?! :mad:
  4. Spearmint

Spearmint Well-Known Member

I also have an extremely high tolerance for pain..Like when I was in the hospital, they had to try and get an IV in me like 10 times(silly veins), and I didn't feel it at all.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.