Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Tarr, May 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tarr

Tarr Guest

Just a question: how do you tell your parent/friend/doctor etc. that you feel depressed and think about suicide? Like how do you get the conversation started?
  2. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

i started the convo with my doctor like this: "i came to see you because i have been feeling low" he followed up with questions, like "how low" ... "how are you sleeping" and so on... him asking questions it made it easier to say "all i think about 24/7 is how to kill myself." i was so ashamed i couldn't look him in the eye but he was totally okay about it. told me not to worry, help was on the way, and that i had done the right think by talking to him. the fact that i'm here today has everything to do with his kind adn compassionate response.
  3. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

Doctors are trained professionals that hear things like this all the time, you can talk to your doctor about anything. My doctor usually asks me if everything's alright immediately after I sit down, so you could start from there if you have a similar doctor. You could say "Not really, I've been feeling very down lately and have started to have suicidal thoughts."

Good luck. :smile:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.