Question

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by QuadLazer, Jul 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QuadLazer

QuadLazer Well-Known Member

If someone has a specific plan to kill themselves, but is still working out kinks such as a time, etc. would a therapist, doctor, etc. put them in a hospital immediately if they knew this, or are there cases where other alternatives (other than going to a hospital) are acceptable?

Thanks for any answers. =)

2. Bambi

Bambi Well-Known Member

I mentioned a time/date and that was the deal breaker! He knew I had means but when I started with date and would not agree to not committee....well guess who showed up. You can say you have a date but you want to try and I think that shows you want to try..but some doctors may not feel okay and call the cops.
    what has you so down?

3. plates

plates Well-Known Member

Where I live it depends on the doctor. I was in hospital out of physical exhaustion in the past rather than suicidal plans.

No having a plan isn't enough. I've been assessed really well recently and they had it right, I'd go nuts in a hospital, it would not help me one bit, so they have things like outreach 'Crisis Teams' to contain a crisis which I have used. They (are supposed to) monitor you in the community, rather than monitor you in a hospital.

4. QuadLazer

Nothing. This is simply a theoretical question.

So pretty much, if someone does find out someone has a plan to kill themselves, whether they have a set time or not, they have to be taken to a hospital?

5. plates

plates Well-Known Member

Not where I live.

Other countries, areas might have different procedures though.

6. QuadLazer

Okay, let me clarify. The United States.

7. plates

plates Well-Known Member

I have heard varied stories about the US because hospitals and people working there are all different. Maybe someone later will answer your question better.

I've heard it's similar to here. The person will be assessed by a psychiatrist and nurse in A+E. They will also listen to whoever has referred the person to hospital. They will then decide about treatment programmes, inpatient or outpatient.

Having a plan isn't enough for someone to be taken to hospital to be assessed. Time is important (it has to be immediate- right now) and so is, poor mental health, vulnerability, lack of safety, 'lack of insight,' lack of support in the community. If someone has a therapist they'll see this as a key support in the community.

Then again, some people do present themselves like this and are turned away from hospitals.

8. QuadLazer

Hm. Well, I'll be honest, this isn't so much theoretical.

I honestly do have a plan, and I probably need some sort of help. I'm not depressed at all, I'm actually pretty cool right now, just not really interested in life at this point. But here's the thing:

Not only have I been to a hospital like four times (once for a suicide attempt), but if I were to tell these things to a doctor or something and they were to put me in a hospital, I'd be losing several things. For example, I'd lose my job, I'd have to quit school (which I'm paying out the ass for), no one would be able to pay for it (I'm not insured), and worst of all I'd be out of a home because the family I live with already told me that they would not have things like this going on in their house.

So I'm pretty much fucked either way?

9. plates

plates Well-Known Member

That sounds tough, yeah.

Did hospital help you when you were admitted?

You mentioned a therapist in your OP, do you think maybe more regular appointments and exploring your feelings with him/her would help you through this period?

10. QuadLazer

No, the hospital didn't really help much at all. They don't shit but send you home on some pills and hope for the best.

I do have a therapist, but I've only seen them once so far. I've had to continuously cancel appts. with them due to work. I saw a doctor twice and they wanted to put me on some antidepressants, but since I'm not feeling depressed I just told her no thanks and stopped seeing her. I've gone through probably ten different therapists over 2-3 yrs due to me lacking confidence in their ability to help me.

I honestly want to go ahead and tell someone that I have a plan (and I did tell one close friend), not because I really want to (cause honestly I've really lost interested in life), but because it's the safest thing to do. But if I do this, well refer to last sentence of previous post I made... lol

11. plates

plates Well-Known Member

You sound like you know your own safety really well. When it gets to the stage where you know you're so unsafe, you have to ask what's more important your life (you seem to look after yourself well) or....the mess that looking after your life would leave behind?

I really do feel for you though. It sounds like a really difficult situation, and I'd personally do everything to keep myself out of inpatient-- as in outpatient or seeing a therapist more, but that's just me. You know yourself best. You can tell your therapist you have a plan and maybe your therapist will help explore the plan and diffuse it somehow? You never know. But telling someone of your plan sounds important to you and a good thing to do.

12. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Depression comes in many forms If you are wanting to end your life you are not happy with it so i would suggest you try antidepressants. The meds also help clear your fog thinking and help you cope better with life in general. Try the medication it will help you stay out of hospital and with your family and job and keep you in school. therapy and medication together are the best so try it what do you have to loose. take care.

13. QuadLazer

I know it'd be the right thing to do, but if I told my therapist this stuff she'd be like "Hospital. Now." and if I tried to convince her not to she'd just call the cops. I know they are only interested in my safety, but they look too much at the here and now rather than the consequences of putting me in a hospital.

Well, like I said, I really wanna tell my therapist because I really don't want it to come to this shit again, but if I do I'll just get fucking worse because they'll just put me back in the psycho hall thinking it's the safest thing to do, which really it is, but like i said...

Man this fucking sucks.

14. QuadLazer

Well there's several things I have to lose, most importantly my money. I think if I go back to when I first got put on meds when I was 16, I've been on a total of 17 different kinds of shit and none of it has helped because there is nothing wrong with my mind TO help dammit, those pills only make shit worse because they make me poorer and I am trying to save up money anyway. Forget that shit.

15. plates

plates Well-Known Member

I used to be in a similar position.

I'd think "I have a plan", but "I could risk being detained or in some messy situation." What do I do?

Talk about why I have the plan , think about what the plan means. What's the use of you dying? What does suicide mean for you?

Maybe you could explore how meaningless you find life at the moment with your therapist?

A psych ward can be unpleasant as you've gathered. Seeing you're at a stage of knowing you'll get worse (but not at that stage right now) maybe you could talk about what is making you plan to die with your therapist, if you feel scared of the consequences of going into hospital? I know that's a big thing to do if you've only seen her once.

If you do want to go into hospital you could just go ahead and tell her you have a plan. It does sound like you need support and safety at the moment- it's just finding out what to do in the difficult situation you're in with work, school and family. I feel the same about medication btw.

16. ashes_away

ashes_away Well-Known Member

if you want to die then you there IS something wrong with your mind!You are in denial.:sad:I don't blame you for your feeling overwhelmed with how to handle this as you want to maintain what you have going for you.But will you be able to hold on to your job for long if you keep up this way?You are in a duality it seems..it seems you want to live on one hand because you obviously want to keep your job and money..but at the same time you are so unhappy and are planning to end it.?
    If you will not seek more medical assistance,(please reconsider that) but you want to feel better...have you tried exercise?Exercise DOES help make people feel better.The more the better.Other activities to have a more active life?A change of scenery..of routine?A sport? Staying active and having people to talk to about this like here at SF are a good idea in any case.

17. QuadLazer

I'm not real sure why, like I said, I'm just simply not interested in life anymore. I don't think there's really any use in me dying, but that really doesn't change my mind that I want to.

I don't really find life that meaningless, I mean you get what you put into it.

It's just I know if I tell her I have a plan she'll freak out and call the cops. I mean, that's what they're legally obligated to do. If they didn't and I do kill myself, my family could sue her ass for so much it wouldn't even be funny.

I mean it wouldn't be so hard to be honest with the lady if I knew she didn't have that kinda obligation, you know?

18. plates

plates Well-Known Member

Yeah I know.

19. QuadLazer

No. If I was hearing a voice in my head telling me to kill myself then there would be something wrong with me. Just because someone kills themselves doesn't automagically mean "They must've been psycho." The only reason you say I'm "in denial" is because that's what you've been taught to believe by doctors or whoever the hell that only wants their patients drugged up. You ever wonder why doctors make so much money? Antidepressants are a fucking marketing scheme for an overdiagnosed condition. Period. If someone doesn't see that, then they're gullible.

And with my kinda job, it doesn't really matter either way. As long as I show up and haul ass this sorta stuff isn't really a concern. I'm actually kicking ass it right now, thank you.

And I do exercise. I go to the gym at least once a month, or at least I try to lol.

20. plates

plates Well-Known Member

You have a voice, you have a strong spirit, and you say you have a close friend you can talk to. Keep fighting and letting people know that you aren't going to be a guinea pig for medication that doesn't do FA when you know it doesn't help, and you don't like people assuming things about your life.

You're reaching out for help, have a lot of insight into yourself and you're looking after yourself. It's despicable though, that the help available isn't enough or anything of substance when your life is in danger, and I empathise.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.