Question.

Discussion in 'Rape and Abuse' started by Mama_Pills, Jun 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mama_Pills

Mama_Pills Well-Known Member

How severe does the event/events have to be before it counts as sexual abuse?

Mine was sort of minor, and I'm not even really sure it was abuse, but at the same time I feel like it messed me up somehow. I'm just not sure.

2. Domo

Domo Well-Known Member

In regards to laws i am not sure.

However i imagine if you feel you have been violated and traumatised then that would be abuse...

Have you spoken to anyone about what happened?

3. wheresmysheep

wheresmysheep Staff Alumni

If you did not consent or felt violated by it then in my eyes it was abuse. in regard to law I dont know where the line is.

4. TBear

TBear Antiquities Friend

It is sexual abuse if it is unwanted and you are being used for the sexual gratification of another...

touching you when you don't want to be touched, oral, genital, rubbing...doesn't require penetration

even without touch - forcing you to look at genitalia - or looking at you ... that too is abuse

The point is something happened that you didn't want, especially if it was a person you should be able to trust, or were dependent on....

Either way, talk to someone about it. Being uncomfortable with what happened means, at the very least, that you should talk about it with someone whose opinion you trust - in detail.

Usually that discomfort is given to us to let us know that a boundary has been crossed that shouldn't have - and it is valid to feel that way. Talking to someone else will help you decide what to do.

Take care of yourself - and trust your feelings, they are there for a reason. Try to figure them out....

5. Mama_Pills

Mama_Pills Well-Known Member

I told only a few people I trusted recently, after however many years of pushing it to the back of my mind, and I basically got a 'good for you' response before they stopped talking to me ...

I feel disgusting.

6. Viro

Viro Well-Known Member

You are not sick; you are not wrong. Just because other people have been through worse does not mean that your suffering wasn't painful.

7. TBear

TBear Antiquities Friend

Just because you feel disgusting - doesn't mean you are disgusting - you aren't....

The example I have used in the past is - if someone throws a bunch of stinky crap on you - it stinks and you feel gross, but you aren't....once the crap is cleaned off - you are fine.

So how do you clean it off - get some professional help - a counselor. Sometimes a good friend wants to help and just doesn't know how, so they listen but don't know what to do to be supportive. Takes time to clean up crap but it isn't permanent, just stinks when you are in the middle of it.

:hug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.