Questionaire... SUICIDE.

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by n_th_n, Oct 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. n_th_n

n_th_n New Member

Firstly, I would like to know if suicide still holds a social stigma? If so, how?

Secondly, Should suicide (not examples of how to commit it but the overall general concept i.e. the thoughts, feelings and help offered) be tuaght in schools? If so, from what age?

Thank you. N
  2. BioHomocide

BioHomocide Well-Known Member

Suicide will always be a social stigma in a world where people fear death.

When people finally accept their mortality and let go of false ends such as heaven or hell perhaps the fear will disappear..
    Maybe in the future suicide will be openly acceptable, but for now, and for a long time to come.... suicide will remain a immoral conversation.
  3. palmtrees

palmtrees Well-Known Member

It definitely holds a social stigma. A few reasons I can think of are:
    -some religions prohibit it and consider it a sin
    -some people avoid suicidal people because they don't want to be responsible if something goes wrong (of course the irony is that their avoidance may help contribute to the depression)
    -people who have never felt extremely depressed or suicidal aren't capable of putting themselves in that position and assume you're just like them only lazier, more negative, complain about everything

As far as whether the subject of suicide should be taught in schools, I think definitely. The fact that a lot of adults do exactly the opposite of what you're supposed to do when confronted with a suicidal person, even when it's basic common sense (i.e. don't judge, just listen, take them seriously, don't assign blame, get help, let them know you're there for them) suggests that early education is desperately needed. I think middle school/the years just prior to high school are the best time for this. For one thing, this is around the time suicide just starts to become a problem for students. For another thing, this is the time when a lot of kids already start to learn more about important heavy subjects like the Holocaust, slavery, sex ed, divorce, etc.
  4. HexenBexen

HexenBexen Well-Known Member

I would say suicide definitely still holds a social stigma. It's still considered a sin by the religious and some doctors will not address the issue with their patients because they don't want to be tied into anything if the person actually goes through with it.

I believe death should be talked about in schools because kids need to learn about this stuff. Unfortunately, suidical tendancies begin younger and younger these days and kids should learn about the help that's available to them or how to cope with a suidical peer. This stuff should no longer be swept under the rug. To me, it's as important as sex education. If you teach them nothing and send them off into the world, they're going to be lost and probably deal with it completely wrong.
  5. n_th_n

n_th_n New Member

Thank you for your opinions. They have been very helpful.

More would be appreciated.

Thanks. N.
  6. geolab101

geolab101 Well-Known Member

Suicide needs to be taught better in schools. Much, much better. My own personal experience would have been better if it seemed like more people cared back when I really needed the help.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.