Questioning my beliefs?

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by Matt93, Jan 9, 2011.

1. Matt93

Matt93 Well-Known Member

I love it, when someone calls me narrow minded for believing in one thing, that contradicts what they believe in. Aren't we entitled to our own opinions? I accept yours and don't question why you believe in them, so please, don't call ME narrow minded, and then question my beliefs. If you question my beliefs and call me narrow minded for not being willing to accept something else, I think, I can say, you're also narrow minded.

I don't believe in Religion because I, being the person I am, require proof and answers. Science gives me such proof and answers. They haven't been wrong so far, because every time they have been wrong, another scientist comes up with something that's correct. Religion requires me to believe something that can't be explained or proved. Yes, I suppose that that proves I'm slightly narrow minded.

But, you don't question someone's beliefs when they differ to yours and then call THEM narrow minded. They're just as narrow minded as me if they question, then dismiss someone's opinion, because it's not theirs. The world today entitles us to our own opinions, so don't question mine when I'm willing to accept yours.

End rant.

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

YOur right we are all entitled to our own beliefs hugs

3. 1izombie

1izombie Well-Known Member

tbh i think that doesnt make you narrow minded as you just said above that you are willing to be wrong and make changes based on our every expanding knowledge and as explanations change so does yours. I think narrow mindedness comes from claiming to know it all and having all the answers. Science as you said doesnt know it all and says that many times. Unless I'm putting words into your mouth, I'm sure if someone were to demonstrate to you the existence of god/religion scientifically, you would be reasonable enough to accept those findings. How does that make you narrow minded?

The chances of someone proving god/religion in any falsifiable way is minuscule at best in my opinion. I think its very reasonable to maintain a worldview thats consistent and supported by facts/reality. Science gives us the best way in which to accomplish that imo, by letting the facts speak for themselves.

4. Matt93

Matt93 Well-Known Member

You're not putting words into my mouth. If someone could do just that, I am very willing to accept such findings.

5. 1izombie

how very narrow minded of you to be willing to change your beliefs on religion/god if provided with evidence... lol ;)

6. Matt93

Matt93 Well-Known Member

Which was my exact point.

Cheers for the replies 1izombie :D

7. 1izombie

cheers to you as well :)

8. ansdr

ansdr Well-Known Member

Thing is most beliefs could never be scientifically proven because they revolve around emotion. It's like if I had a belief, 3 is a special number. That's a belief. Science always has a logical goal in mind. Beliefs do also, but they focus more on life interpreted through human emotion rather then just science. Now saying theres some powerful alien that exist, who believes 3 is special and will harm you if you don't believe the same thing is a whole other story.

9. nolonger

nolonger Well-Known Member

How are you narrow minded for not 'pinning' yourself to an organized religion?

Lol.

10. feathers

feathers Well-Known Member

Lol... Dude, it's a formspring troll :/

11. doityourself

doityourself Well-Known Member

I think everyone should be allowed any opins that they want. If you dont believe in reiligion well then its your life who am I to judge.

Hold your head high and be proud to be you.

12. Kaos General

Kaos General Well-Known Member

People have every right to question your beliefs just as much as you have every right to question theirs, but no-one has the right to call you or anyone else narrow minded. If you believe in something and are unwilling to accept criticism for your beliefs though then thats a different matter.

For example i dont believe in religion but if someone came to me and started a argument and i refused to even entertain their beliefs or ideals then i would be narrow minded which to some degree i am. Anyway if someone calls you narrow minded just ignore them or explain why you wont accept their views

13. houseofcards

houseofcards Well-Known Member

If you were narrow-minded, I guess i'd have to be as well. :p