Questions for anyone who's been hospitalized?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by daisylea, May 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daisylea

daisylea Member

on Friday my mom is forcing me to go into treatment kindof. she plans on taking me to an er being that I truly don't feel safe im they'll keep me, right? my moms forcing me to go being that i attempted suicide earlier this week and just told her yesterday and if I don't go she's going to the cops about me stealing her prescription drugs & finding 200$ worth of marijuana in my room -__- so it'd be voluntary right? like I'd be a voluntary patient and can sign myself out whenever? I'm 19 years old btw..I don't have a drug problem the pills were just what I was using to od. how long will they keep me? I'll willingly stay I do feel as though I need help since I'm so depressed and this isn't a way to live at all however I don't want to be there for more than 30 days..I was hospitalized once when I was 10 for choking a boy at school (lol) but I'm sure this time will be different since I'm not a child .what's it like in the hospital? will I be allowed to have Internet? what about my family visiting? also I'm a huge girly girl and myself esteem has always been an issue so will I be allowed to bave makeup and other items like that? the only thing I really remember from when I was hospitalized when I was 10 was we weren't allowed to have headphones and having to take the laces out my shoes, strings out hoodies etc. and I remember making a lot of beaded bracelets and crafts haha. also I'm very social it'd be cool to socialize but I'm not sure of the people I'll be surrounded with? if anyone could answer these questions it'd be great and I am so sorry if this is in the wrong section!!
    also do you think they'll drug test me and/or put me in a drug program for the marijuana? my mom knows I don't have a problem with pills or anything i do smoke alot of weed though ad personally I don't feel as though someone can have an addiction to weed my personal opinion...but thanks to anyone who can answer these questions! the hospital I'm going to is westren psychiatric in Pittsburgh if anyone's ever been and can tell me from first hand experience that's be awesome too!! thanks a bunch ^.^
    and apologies if there's any huge typos r something I'm sending this from my phone..
    stupid question though are cell phones allowed? not even for social use lord knows I don't have any friends but my iPhone has all my music and games and stuff I can keep met self busy with...its a long shot I'm sure but still a question lol

2. MisterBGone

MisterBGone Well-Known Member

I can't guarantee specific answers to that given hospital, but I can tell you how it works where I live in the upper midwest (because I know that while some things are rather universal, others are quite individual). You have to be 100% suicidal to be admitted inpatient (overcrowding/understaffing). Of course, recent or new, fresh attempts will do just fine, too! What you do lose in my neck of the woods is your freedom. You turn in everything with regards personal belongings. You are in a locked down facility. You are monitored around the clock. It is short-term treatment (no more than a week unless committed). You can have friends and family visit. You cannot have your phone or computer for privacy reasons. You clearly cannot smoke: though nicotine patches can be provided, don't think that's going to help with the pot though... It can be difficult to communicate with some patients, as they are obviously quite ill as well. Certainly there are those that can be perfectly pleasant and borderline wonderful to talk to. It's just that you have to realize where you are and take that into consideration. They will give you your makeup and clothes/shoes back after the first or second day once you've visited with a psychiatrist. But it does get pretty boring if you don't bring a book, like to stay in your room, and don't care to sleep. Again: this is solely my experience in my hospital. I'm sure that there will be differences at yours. But there's nothing to fear. So, just try to be positive and hopefully you will feel better after you come out when you get some good help.

P.S. Oh, and yes! It is standard procedure to take your blood and urine--lots of chemical dependency patients...

3. daisylea

daisylea Member

wow! sounds really intense! I think things are different over here though, I really hope so because I don't know if I can handle that it reminds me of jail..but I had a friend who was in the place I'm going to (hes in jail now though) and he didn't hint to me that kind of atmosphere at all, it seemed as though he almost enjoyed it but he is a few screws loose if you know what I mean..I'm nervous about the whole ordeal lol..but since they do drug test and such would that change my course of treatment and how long I stay? I know for a fact I'll fail the drug test especially for the weed

4. Gimiq

Gimiq Well-Known Member

U only stay as long as it takes them to determine that well u agree with there assesment and are willing to follow whatever treatment plan they gice you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.