Questions on Klonopin

Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by WhyMeWhy, Dec 21, 2007.

1. WhyMeWhy

WhyMeWhy Well-Known Member

I'm starting 1 mg. clonazepam twice a day today. The docs classify it a benzo like lorazepam(ativan). However, they also say that the clonazepam takes time-maybe weeks-to work into your system, it's not fast acting. The docs also say that clonazepam works more effectively than lorazepam because it's effects are longer lasting. Does anybody know if this info is true or false. It may depend on the person, so does anyone have any experience taking this anxiety medication clonazepam? I'd like to know how long it will take to start affecting me. Will it be weeks, months or what? I strongly suspect that my doc is giving it to me because it's not as strong or addictive as the other benzos. I just hope it works, I'm quite tolerant to benzos, having been prescribed librium at one time, and thorazine at another time. Based on these facts, would 1 mg. clonazepam even affect me at all?

2. VALIS

VALIS Well-Known Member

they're lying to you. seriously. it's a fast- acting anti-anxiety benzodiazapine a little weaker than ativan and xanax. I don't know why they're lying, I think you mentioned you were on ativan or xanax before and klonopin is just a weaker form of that- takes about 30 minutes for me before I fall asleep (if I don't need it) or calm the fuck down (if I'm having a panic attack).

don't know whats up with ur docs but the stuff doesn't build up like an ssri that's why its for panic attacks, it hits you when you need it. "take as needed"

3. WhyMeWhy

Thanx for the info... my doc is obviously a quack in the purest form. It's not workin immediately like it's supposed to for me though. So I'm going to take it in combonation w/ benadryl(which does work quickly for me). Maybe this will help? :confused:

4. ToHelp

ToHelp Well-Known Member

Valis this is incorrect. The closest comparison to other benzodiazepines is Xanax, but far longer lasting. It (clonazepam) does not hit fast, takes about one-half hour to 45 minutes to take effect, is very potent, and clinically active for +/- 8 hours on a single dose.

5. brokensoul98

brokensoul98 Well-Known Member

omg....i sooooo hate those things...i took one of those percribed to me and i was walking in the walls..i never took another one...and very highly addicting from what i hear..

6. ToHelp

ToHelp Well-Known Member

Broken -

Thank you. :tongue: I missed that. This stuff (like all benzos, only more potent [read: worse]) ideally should not be taken than 7-10 days, though there are many conditions it is used to treat which requires much longer treatment periods.

The hardest thing to understand about the these drugs is that, while they are so effective for many disorders the first few months, those few months is time enough to become terribly addicted to them: Tolerance develops, effectiveness decreases, and a strong biochemcial dependency forms.

WMW: By all means, follow your doctor's instructions; this post is not intended to go against your doctor's trained care. :smile: But if you find yourself wanting to increase your dose, just be sure let him/her know your feelings as soon as possible.

ToHelp

7. rojomi

rojomi Banned Member

here's my limited knowledge. in the us, benzos,(like narcotics) are all addictive and each has different effects. i have taken xanax for 20 years-too long, so it doesn't really work anymore, but you can't just STOP taking it. the docs, primary care & p-docs have tried every drug on the market to get me off it. at one time i took 8 mg. a day-now i'm down to 2 or 3. the half life of any drug is what you look at to determine effectiveness etc./ xanax's half-life is very fast, thus it works quickly, but works out of your system faster than other benzos. the benzo with the slowest half-life is valium i think. in fact, in the uk a lady doc did clinical trials switching people over to valium from xanax, then lowering the dose because valium lasts longer. one doc wanted to switch me to clonepin, but another said NO- no benzos period. now i live in fear, knowing some day the xanax will have to go. but nothing else works. what a fucking fan-fabulous-tastic:dry: drug addicted world we live in!

8. WhyMeWhy

Thank you all for information you may have provided. I've switched doctors-who has switched drugs-valium lasts longer you say? Good. My new doc obviously knows what he's doing then. And I'll give you a little info regarding the price of Klonopin.....
    A Wal-Mart pharmacy(typically the cheapest where I am) offers the name brand at almost $150.00 while the genereic I got was lower than $30.00 for 60 pills.

9. ToHelp

ToHelp Well-Known Member

Rojo, that's GREAT, really. Are you comfortable with it?

Addictionology & pharmacology are my forte if you will. With over 20 years of reading (long before the Internet!) I have a fair handle in the area so please don't take the following corrections personally, ok? :)

"the half life of any drug is what you look at to determine effectiveness etc."

In truth, a drug's "half-life" can be deceiving. This number reveals only part of the story and does not take into account volume of distribution, individual rate of metabolism, and other factors. It's a good general guide to how long a drug will be pharmacologically active.

"xanax's half-life is very fast, thus it works quickly, but works out of your system faster than other benzos."

The half-life of Xanax is (I believe--I'm not Googling this stuff! lol)) about 10-12 hours, and clinically effective for only 3-4 hours. ALL benzodiazepines work in exactly the same way. Metabolically, they differ in three areas: Rate of absorption, duration of action, and rate of elimination.

But how fast it "works" has no relation to how long it will remain effective.

WMW, good for you! Be aware that Valium is far less strong (potent) than Klonopin and you might want to discuss this with your doc. Keep him/her apprised if you feel "withdrawal" from the Klonopin you were taking... If you're about good about communicating with him/her, you'll do fine.

ToHelp

10. rojomi

rojomi Banned Member

My docs in FL wanted to switch me to klonopin. Reason-lasts longer i think.
    If its better than valium, I'd be in heaven. So far the docs here have been unresponsive to the suggestion. May need to take a break back in FL and check in w/ my MD there.

11. WhyMeWhy

The clonazepam does nothing for me & is told to be stronger than lorazepam(ativan). However, I have a high tolerance to those only. This is because I spent 2 weeks time in a hospital where they proceded to put an IV in order to pump liquid meds. It was every 4 hours for around 2 weeks I was havin liquid ativan mainlined into me. Now those pills don't affect me at all. :WTF:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2008
  12. ToHelp

ToHelp Well-Known Member

What's the dosage and how many times a day? It's entirely possible they (the docs) are being too conservative.

Rojomi, I'm not sure what drug you talking about lol, in comparing to Klon.

"If its better than valium, I'd be in heaven. So far the docs here have been unresponsive to the suggestion."

It's a dual-edged sword man. The doctors who don't want to may be wary of addiction. "Addiction" is undesirable in part because of tolerance (you need larger and larger amounts).

Like all benzos, Klonopin is inherently addicting. There is no "population" immune to this problem.

Further the stronger it is, the worse the addiction. Somebody on this forum said "don't strive to be an addict." You can never know the hell of addiction unless you've been there; we can only try to educate ward off. :)

ToHelp

13. rojomi

rojomi Banned Member

It was me that said "Don't strive to be an addict", and I meant it. I guess what I was trying say was, if Klonopin is longer lasting than what i now take-xanax, which i'm SLOWLY getting off of, it would probably be a faster route to getting off the benzos completely. Not that i wanted to start taking
    more benzos, IMO they're all poison(benzos) and i rue the day they were ever prescribed to me. I don't talk about this stuff to the people I know here, except 1 close friend & docs. But I knew a couple of people in FL who were so HAPPY they'd found docs that gave them xanax & percoset & darvocet. It's difficult to explain to someone like this; that's not REALLY a good thing. I tried to explain the rough road of getting off dope like this. Fell on deaf ears- but at least i tried.
    I'm somewhat well-informed-the US gov'm't (Medicare's) guidelines are pretty specific. They don't want people on this stuff long-term, and for good reason. My insurance follows Medicare guidelines to the letter, so they won't cover 'em. Ohio has something called the Buckeye Card, and that lowers the cost substantially. Bottom line-I don't want to use them at all, but right now, I don't have that choice.
    Btw, I only took valium once and it lasted a LONG time, maybe cause I only took it once lol. But for me, that seems to be the key to getting off it-i.e., longest lasting=I'll forget to take it even more often. The alternatives have ALL had dreadful side effects. i'd rather just get off of it, and deal w/ life without ANY psychotropic drugs if possible.sorry for lack of brevity.

14. historyteach

historyteach New Member

I was stoned out of my gord on that stuff.
    I will NEVER EVER touch it again.
    Indeed, my regular doc has it listed under alergies for me, so I can never be given it as a mistake!
    It was a psych doc who had me stoned out. I was a mess. And, yes, I took it only as prescribed.
    Please be very careful and listen to your body.

Shalom!

15. ToHelp

ToHelp Well-Known Member

"if Klonopin is longer lasting than what i now take-xanax, which i'm SLOWLY getting off of, it would probably be a faster route to getting off the benzos completely."

Go gentle, though. Overestimate the stress of a poorly planned withdrawal. And if you said Xanax would be a preferred benzo for getting off sooner, scratch that notion.

It's too potent, acts too quickly and disappears too quickly. It is very hard to manage a comfortable withdrawal from Xanax using Xanax, and a preferred approach is to switch to something with a nice, long curve of effectiveness.

Valium is one such drug and is preferred by many, but you have to know what you're doing. It is many time less potent that your Xanax. Plus, you'd have to be so lucky as to find a doctor in the U.S. who will even prescribe the stuff, let alone one who is schooled on how to this right.

Even a switch to Klonopin--ironically easier to obtain in the U.S.--would be better than trying to get completely off Xanax using Xanax.

Just remember that golden rule of getting shut of benzos: Slow and gentle.

You could literally just scrape off small amounts of each pill with a nice, sharp knife and wean yourself by 5% or less at a time, Rojo! In time, you'll be down to half a tablet and steadily decreasing.

Thinking in these ways can have you benzo-free on down the road, with you barely ever noticing a difference.

ToHelp

16. rojomi

rojomi Banned Member

thanks, To Help. As i stated, switching to the longest acting benzo,(don't know which it is), and gradual decrease of dosage seems to be the most humane way of breaking the addiction. In a case study in the UK, a doc switched xanax addicts to valium and achieved a high rate of success in tapering down & then off the drug. Here in the good ole US all they really want is to cruelly JERK people off of a drug they're addicted to. A friend of mine has recounted the story of his elderly aunt's withdrawal from valium.
    She was in a nursing home and it was decided that she was over-medicated.
    Instead of decreasing it, they simply discontinued it. She was in agony.
    Miracles of modern medicine. She always got her Ensure tho!

17. ToHelp

ToHelp Well-Known Member

Truer words were ne'er spoken.

U.S. doctors all the way up to psychiatrists are incredibly; inexplicably ignorant to matters of benzo-withdrawal. Professor Heather Ashton, likely the world-renowned person of whom you speak has herself exclaimed her befuddlement over why U.S. doctors almost uniformly refuse to Rx Valium or Librium. Both of these benzos are FAR and away more gentle and therefore more preferable than:
    • using a drug like alprazolam (Xanax) or clonazepam (Klonopin) in withdrawing people; or
    • initiating treatment in the first place (both drugs are incredibly harder to stop)
    Rojo I would sue the shit out of that nursing facility. Seriously, I would--this is NOT matter to be taken lightly. She was caused undue pain and suffering because of staff ignorance.

It's possible that you or one of her other relatives could take this matter to court on her behalf. Check into it; given the facts you cite, any lawyer would JUMP at a case like that. It's cut and dried, Rojo: You never CT (cold-turkey) a patient from these drugs.

ToHelp

18. ToHelp

ToHelp Well-Known Member

I see--she's not in your family. :) Well the friend should know this is a highly litigable (subject to litgation) case.

19. rojomi

rojomi Banned Member

The nursing home incident occurred quite a few years ago; she died in 2000@ 99 years old. You bring up litigation tho. A few years back I considered same against the doc who initially prescribed the xanax, not for that reason only,she was negligent in other matters. Most notably failure to advise me of known side-effects of meds she prescribed (this was before drug stores packaged Rx's w/ drug description,etc.). Had I known the side effects @ the time, I may have opted not to take the drug or requested a substitute.This applied most notably w/prozac-I have since been diagnosed as bipolar and I believe that prozac she prescribed was a major factor in causing the worst manic episode of my life.SSRI's are NOT recommended for bipolar patients who are prone to manic episodes, for obvious reasons. At the time, I was in a program to assist low-income peeps w/ supplies of needed asthma meds. She insisted on having the meds shipped to her office, where I had to pick them up. I discovered after speaking with her former office manager that she opened the shipments and gave the full Rx to other patients, and substituted samples to be given to me. There were other incidents, but the bottom line is, her behavior was criminal. Doctors have WAY too much power as a result of their political lobbies @ the local, state and national levels. Was she indictable?-hell,yes. Did I have viable witnesses?-you betcha. But due to a legal statute,(docs are only required to retain medical records for either 3 or 5 years); her out would have been to shrug and testify,"Who knew?". The fact that she had settled a wrongful death lawsuit out-of-court for a cool 1 mil would not have been allowed as evidence either. The lesson to me-assess the doc @ the same time the doc's assessing you. Check their credentials, education, and criminal background.