Questions re-psychiatrist apointment

Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by Brian777, Apr 8, 2016.

1. Brian777

Brian777 Safety and Support Forum Pro SF Supporter

Hello everyone, I have an appointment with a psychiatrist tomorrow(Saturday) I went to one back in 1992 and was just prescribed medication, after a diagnosis of Depression with panic disorder, no other therapy was suggested. This doctor left town a few years later and my prescription was filled by my GP. Where I live it's difficult to get an apt. with a psychiatrist, there aren't many in the area. Just wondering if anyone could suggest what questions to ask, as this is new to me and this will be my first apointment. I'd like to get something more than a medication change or adjustment. I believe I now have an anxiety condition after losing my closest and only relative last year. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated, thank you.
    Brian

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Definitely bring up and changes that you are feeling and ask Psychiatrist if there are any programs that can help you with your anxiety group therapy in community also maybe some grief counseling would help

Brian777 likes this.
  3. Brian777

Thank you Total eclipse I'm writing these out so I don't forget. I always forget when I'm at a doctors. I was thinking about the different therapies available CBT and DBT, I'll discuss them and see what he suggests.

4. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Ask your psych if there are any groups in your area such as relaxation groups to address the anxiety or if therapy is an option, I wish you the very best of luck, please let us know how it goes. Be blunt and honest and to the point and get as much as you can from this psych appointment as you can :) good luck @Brian777

Brian777 likes this.
  5. Brian777

Thank you Petal, I'm going to write everything down so I don't forget, these are all good suggestions. I think I'd benefit from a grief support group and also anxiety and depression group. But you know what Petal......the people on this site have been the greatest support around, I can't express my gratitude enough for all of you and this site. It feels like I've found a family ❤️ Thank you everyone ❤️ for caring.

AlexiMarie7 and Petal like this.