Questions you need an answer to

Discussion in 'The Coffee House' started by Tobes, Apr 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tobes

Tobes Well-Known Member

As the title suggests, this is a thread for those questions you have that you can't find an answer to.

I'll start with a question that I have always wondered:

Why is it that humans are so different from one another (appearance, voice, intelligence etc) and animal species are similar to one another?

If anyone has an answer to this, I would greatly appreciate it.

2. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

They aren't.

They look "all the same" because we're so different from them.

Look at dogs - all the same species, they can interbreed, but there's a ~70x difference in mass between the biggest and smallest, they come in many colours and shapes, they have different voices, and some are better learners than others. They also speak different languages - a European dog speaks a different dialect than a North American dog, for instance.

That's probably the most extreme example, but all species exhibit it.

However, humans ARE more differentiated than many species. The more widespread a species is, and the more isolation exists between groups, the more notable variation is. Humans and dogs are extremely widespread species and spent a long time in isolation from other groups so they demonstrate more differentiation than many other species.

3. Tobes

Tobes Well-Known Member

Thank you for your answer, it was very helpful. It's put my mind to rest regarding this topic.

If anyone else has a question, post it. Maybe we'll all learn a thing or two.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2010
  4. 2-D

2-D Well-Known Member

why do our hearts rule us, and not us rule them? (this is the non biological sence)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.