Quetiapine (Seroquel)

Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by Leiaha, Aug 6, 2009.

1. Leiaha

Leiaha Well-Known Member

I was just wondering if anyone else has been prescribed Quetiapine (Seroquel) and does it work for you?
    I am also taking Duloxetine (Cymbalta). I only started the Quetiapine 4 weeks ago but, I spend all day and all night asleep. Just cant keepmy eyes open! Also, I can't stop eating!!!

Lea x x :leiaha:

2. Aurora Gory Alice

Aurora Gory Alice Well-Known Member

Seroquel can be pretty awful for that, makes you eat like crazy! I've never tried it but plenty on here have and will tell you so. So keep as active as poss! :)

3. Little_me

Little_me Well-Known Member

Some get the adverse effect, no eating at all.

It is used for bipolar, right?

4. reefer madness

reefer madness Account Closed

I've been eating less and dropped a few pounds since I started on it.

5. Crue-K

Crue-K Well-Known Member

I have been on Seroquel XL 600mg for about 8 weeks, prior to that I was on the normal Seroquel 400g for about 12 months. I find it very beneficial, I used to be on Olanzapine which was horrible and didn't work.

6. The_8th_Wonder

The_8th_Wonder senior Member

I'm on 600mg of it. The side effects are terrible if you start at 300mg and don't eat properly like I did (1 meal a day with exercise). It calms your mind down which is very beneficial to me.. it didn't make me sleep though so I'm on something else for that.

7. Leiaha

Leiaha Well-Known Member

The sleeping all the time is starting to wear off now, but I'm still hungry all the time. I do feel a lot calmer on it, even totally chilled out occasionally lol. I just eat a shed load of fruit everyday to try to fill up. I find I'm drinking a lot aswell because, I have a terribly dry mouth since starting Quetiapine :unsure:

8. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

Yup yup Seroquel makes me tired and hungry but I'm so glad I can sleep now. I sleep like 10 hours a night or so on it. I take it and go right to bed usually so I don't eat too much.
    I think it has helped my mood somewhat as well.
    :heart:

9. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

I had to stop with XR pretty quickly, terrible insomnia and appetite. I'm on the fast acting stuff now, works much better, knocks me out good and clean and I'm not always hungry.

Work, though? Other than sedation, I don't see it doing a damn thing. Maybe it's blocking the manic phases... so I'm stuck in the depressed. :(

10. whale

whale Member

I took 25 and then 50 and then 100mg a day for bipolar. Worked like a charm, reduced severe obsessive episodes by 80%. However, triggered extremely bad hair loss - wouldn't stop even after i stopped the medication. Palpitation was another side effect.

11. whale

whale Member

oh and also very vivid dreams and nightmares. So vivid, i couldn't take the drug anymore.

12. reefer madness

reefer madness Account Closed

I'm on 200mg and haven't had any of those side effects. And I've lost a few more pounds since my last post.

13. SelfMadePrison

SelfMadePrison Banned Member

I had bounced around 25, 50 and 100 but only as needed to relieve anxiety.. I tried taking it daily at 25mg but it would knock me out, I could easily sleep 14-18 hours on this.

14. The_8th_Wonder

The_8th_Wonder senior Member

That's odd. I consider myself to be insomnic so my doctor gave me 300MG and said it would help me sleep. It didn't even make me drowsy so he gave me 600MG and some other pill. I don't even know what meds I'm even on anymore; My mom just gives them to me at certain times of the day. I haven't had the side effect of either hair loss or vivid nightmares. The first night I took it I slept for 20 hours but ever since I can get by on 10 but I'm worried for when school starts because I won't be going to bed at 8..

15. kg80

kg80 Member

I take 300mg, I take it at night an hour before I go to sleep. It makes me sleepy, and I often cant remember much the hour before I sleep, and the first hour of the next day. I take it to calm my mind, and help control frightening thoughts that were causing extream anxeity. I feel that it is a helpfull medication for me.

16. My_eyes_lie

My_eyes_lie Well-Known Member

I started on 12.5mg (half a pill). It knocked me right out. I was put on it for anxiety. As my dosage was increased I started to have blackouts. Needless to say I am off of it now

17. Mil

Mil Active Member

I'm on 25mg for Anxiety and Insomnia.

They said that I'd have an increased appetite but I've lost 5kg...

The dreams are strange though... so vivid. I'm not complaining though I think the dreams are funny. I had one about a hybrid ostrich/malaysian sun bear... Twas cool.

18. bluegrey

bluegrey Antiquities Friend

Nasty med in my experience. I'm still taking it but only 50mg at bedtime to help me sleep with all my chronic anxiety that makes my mind race so fast I stay awake for days.

19. Vangelis

Vangelis Well-Known Member

Personal experience, Seroquel is really really addictive. And your body gets resistance with each dosage every 3 months which makes the doctor increase dosage in order to give you a zombie effect each time. I went from 500mg to 2500mg in a year. By then I was too drugged up to do anything and my body grew resistant after I started taking 3000mg a day. It's a great pill to sleep with, but too addictive and easy to abuse.

20. Sidewalk Slam

Sidewalk Slam Well-Known Member

Threads a bit old sorry (this forum seems slow?) but I took seroquel just as a sleep aid, nothing else.. every time I took it it would make me PASS out like a rock. (I don't remember my dosage.. and I didn't take it every night. About every other night or so.)

So anybody taking this as a new medication for anything other than sleep, be careful when you first start.. make sure you take it at night. I know a lot of things have sleepy warnings but this one personally literally made me not able to stay awake no matter how bad I tried.