Quick Advice?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Zebras Eat Cake, Apr 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zebras Eat Cake

Zebras Eat Cake New Member

Hi,

Basically, I have to see my GP every week because of my seriously low moods and suicidal feelings. Last week, if my mum hadn't come home when she had, I probably would have done it. I feel like I need to tell him this but I dont know how to. Any tips?

2. weegee

weegee Active Member

just talki about how you have been feeling then say what happened. i know its a bit uncertain on how he will reacte but its usally best to tell a profeional.

lil intoxicated if you cant tell :dry:

3. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

if your doctor is any good they will be fine with whatever you tell them, probably they will refer you for some other supports or an assessment.

i started my conversation like this "i've been feeling low, very low" ... well he asked some questions... and i just stared at the carpet until i could get the words out... "all i think about 24/7 is ending my life..." he was very kind and supportive, asked some more questions and told me "help is on the way" which was just the right thing to say as i was feeling so vulnerable.

you can write down some key points (i took my notes on the back of an envelope) and then refer to your notes if you have to.

good luck!

4. mortdesinos

mortdesinos Well-Known Member

Whether you tell your doctor or not is up to you. It may or may not help you in the long run. You might be advised to go to the hospital, or you may get heavy doses of medication thrown at you. In any case, feel free to share with us. I am sure there are people here who can relate to you.

5. Hazel

Hazel SF & Antiquitie's Friend Staff Alumni

I would say be honest with your GP, he isn't going to judge you, nor is he going to throw you into hospital, he may well organise some extra support for you, he may start you on medication (if you are not already on some).
    The fact that he is seeing you once a week shows that he is interested and wants to help you, the way to get the best care possible is to tell him how you really feel and what you are thinking.
    As Dazzle suggested writing it down and even just giving him the piece of paper is a good way if you can't bring yourself to say it.

Let us know how it goes.

Hazel x

6. ThoseEmptyWalls

ThoseEmptyWalls Well-Known Member

Good luck to you.. I have had only bad experiences with sharing my thoughts with a doctor, therapist, or another mental health expert. I have got nothing but thrown in hospitals or had unwanted medication threw my way. I hope your experience, if you decide to talk, is better.

7. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

my experience talking to my doctor was great. it's gonna depend on your doctor, but if you like this doctor (and see him every week) then perhaps you will trust them.

only *you* are in charge of your recovery and your wellbeing. do not give that power away to another person, whether a doc, your parents, or a partner.

if he offers medication you can ask a bunch of questions before you agree to try it, like how does it work, how long should i be on it, what are the side effects. the idea here is that you are an informed consumer - that is true for your mental health as well as in every other area of your life. if he offers a referral to mental health services, by all means ask more questions. hospitalisation is always possible, but if you are meeting with him weekly anyhow, and if you believe that with some more intensive supports you will be okay, say so.

of the many treatment options available, it will be *your* decision to choose the ones that work best for you. good luck.

8. Emptysoul

Emptysoul Well-Known Member

I hope whatever you decide works for you

Whenever ive go to a doctor when ive been feeling really depressed I get told that im making it up and to go away and stop wasting their time, hopefully thats only happned to me and no-one elce because it dosn't help and it isnt nice

9. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

spike - what a terrible doc - did you get a new doctor? i wanna come over there and slap some sense into him/her....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.