quick question

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by WishICould, Nov 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WishICould

WishICould Well-Known Member

If I were to tell my CPN that I knew when where and how, would they lock me up?
  2. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

it depends where you are. in canada, yes, that would be enough to put you on a form 1 under the mental health act (considered a danger to yourself). not sure how it works where you are. i think they just want to know if you are in imminent danger. sounds like you want to tell your nurse. maybe a part of you is reaching out for help.
  3. may71

may71 Well-Known Member

you might want to check out www.befrienders.org

They will have a list of hotline numbers and webpages.

If you call a hotline, you can ask them what their policies are on confidentiality. They in turn would be able to tell you about the confidentiality policies of health care providers.

Hope that you feel better, and please feel free to tell us what is going on as well!
  4. boo

boo Well-Known Member

Yes they would. If they don't intervene and you end up killing yourself then they are hold responsible.
  5. WishICould

Well how am I supposed to have an honest and open conversation with any professional whether it be a CPN or a shrink?

How on earth am I meant to find help when as soon as I tell someone really how bad my mental state has got, they will make it worse?
  6. GA_lost

GA_lost Well-Known Member

Why would being in a hospital make it worse? The hospital is not as bad as you think, and it may save your life.
  7. WishICould

My father was sectioned just before he died of natural causes - It broke my heart. He begged me to get him out. I couldn't possibly go there - It really is a horrible, dank and depressing building.

And then there's my children. Social services would have a field day.
  8. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

you are worried about your children and social services but think what will happen to them if you go through with killing yourself. the hospitals here can be pretty desperate places as well, i've been in 5 times in the last 2 years. it's just to keep you stable until the new meds kick in. i've never regretted going in although when i was in i hated it. i'm sorry your dad had such a bad experience but keep an open mind.
  9. may71

may71 Well-Known Member

I think that some of the hotlines have a policy of not telling anyone unless they have your permission.

You could also try talking about what's going on here.

You could talk to your CPN or shrink, but just leave out the when where and how part.
  10. CatherineC

CatherineC Staff Alumni

Actually if you're in the UK, then I'm not convinced they would. Have you seen the state of the NHS? Particularly the mental health provision.
    I've told my psychiatrist that I knew when, where and how and she put me on valium for two weeks and suggested the crisis nurse called in every day. I refused the crisis nurse cos the last thing I needed was someone calling in every day. I don't even answer the phone when I'm ill let alone the door. I resent the postman turning up everyday.
    I also told my GP (who is a fantastic GP and has kept me alive for years) He thought it might make things worse if I went into hospital so put me on weekly visits to the surgery to talk to him and a weekly prescription so I didn't have enough pills in the house to do anything stupid.
    You need to be honest with your CPN, you're not going to get anywhere if you're not.
    Tell them you don't want to go into hospital and see if they can increase how often you see them instead.
  11. avp

avp Member

This is why I cannot go to mental health people anymore. You cannot be honest without them jamming you up worse.
  12. boo

boo Well-Known Member

They will make a distinction between someone who poses an immediate danger to themselves, and someone who is engaging in "suicidal ideation". Both are equally important, but they won't send anyone unless they think you pose an immediate danger to yourself or others. If they DO send anyone, it will be the paramedics...not the police.
  13. WishICould

Sorry I didnt get back to this thread as quickly as I should have. I really appreciate all of your replies.

Depression is a strange illness. Having counted down the days to zero, I awoke feeling so much better and the day passed without me realising I was on zero. Guess I dodged yet another bullet.

I have an appointment to see a physciatrist on 22nd. I think my CPN has long given up on me now, he hasnt contacted me for around 3 months and I know my GP wrote to him.

I started taking meds again this week, will give them another try. I'm just grateful for the few days respite I think I will get now, I know it wont last long but on the back of a 3 month solid downer without a single minute happiness even when asleep, a few days seems like a dream holiday in the sun to me.

Had to quit college which is a shame but perhaps I'll try again next year.

Thanks guys.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.