Quick Question

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by m6254, May 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. m6254

m6254 Account Closed

Just out of curiosity, if I was planning to tell a friend of mine (that I see on a daily basis, actually a room mate) that I have been cutting myself... what would be the best way to go about it, and what would be the most productive conversation that could come of it?

Just some info... I think he knows that I have done it in the past, and he is also aware that I have tried killing myself on at least one occasion in the past. But that's about it.

Basically, I am not sure if I am yet at the stage where I want help (and even if help was readily available, I'm not sure if I could afford it either), but I think I am at the stage now where I'd like to talk to somebody about it. And even though I am not sure if I trust him or not, I really don't have anybody else in my life that would really care that much about it or that could talk about it without getting emotional. He actually works at a legal office, so I'm thinking I could possibly get a hook up on a possible therapist, but basically I want to make it known to him and maybe talk through some things.

I fear my biggest problem, if I did talk to him about it, would be the ever-dreaded "Well, why do you do it?" question as I have been cutting for almost a decade now, and even though it's been on and off through hospitalizations, seeing therapists on/off, etc. it's just kinda been one of those things that I've always done, and I feel that I always will do. No different than someone who smokes or has a regular hobby, etc. It's just one of those things in life that I can count on, if that makes any sense. It's really no big deal to me as I monitor it pretty well and would never hurt anyone else, and I keep it 100% private as far as anyone having any suspicions or worries. I just think maybe getting it out in the open with someone and just having a regular conversation about it might open up an opportunity for me.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. may71

may71 Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.