Quit smoking

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Petal, Jul 2, 2015.

1. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I have switched from cigarettes to an e-cig. Frightening pains in my lungs and wheezing has made me see sense finally. I hope this works out, they say days 1-3 are the hardest, so lets see where this goes... :) If anyone has any tips,etc..., that'd be great :)

2. Cicada 3301

Cicada 3301 Staff Member Safety & Support SF Supporter

Hey Lynn, good luck! I've only recently quit, maybe a month ago now. I used a hookah pen and threw out all my tobacco related products. Lighters, rolling papers, old cigarette cartons, etc. Basically anything that would remind me of smokes. I bought a whole load of fizzy pop, lots of different kinds (don't ask lol) and I replaced smoking with the shisha pen and different flavoured drinks. Being around people really helps too (non-smokers). I was with family when I quit because if I was at my flat I had a feeling I'd just walk to the shops and buy a pack of fags when feeling that urge. The last thing I did was to stay busy, because when you are busy you tend to smoke less. Go to places/shops with people and make sure they know not to let you buy any cigarettes.

Bob

3. Petal

Thanks hun, I have smoked but very little compared to usual and my desire to want to smoke cigarettes has declined greatly. Well done you, you are doing fantastic, i will admit its hard but i believe i will get there :)

4. Ima.robot

Ima.robot Senior Member

In general it seems to be that most people are more successful cold turkey rather than using nicotine replacement such as gum, patches or an e cig. Most of the studies that promote using nicotine replacement were funded by the people making those products. However some do quit this way, for sure. I am glad you are trying to quit either way!! good job!

5. Petal

Thank you for your input l3lue, I haven't smoked since last posting here, the e-cig seems to be cutting it and doing its job. I do agree with what you say but for some cold turkey is just down right impossible, i couldn't do it. My mom offered me cigs before going to work and she was so surprised I turned them down lol.

6. Sumerian

Sumerian Active Member

I laid off cigarettes about two years ago, for the same reason as you. I noticed my health got poorer.

I'm not one to give advice however, as I'm still a huge nicotine junkie. I started using snus almost immediately after considering myself done with cigarettes. Snus is pretty damn bad for you too (and supposedly more addictive), but to me it sure beats breathing toxic gas into your lungs.

I tried the e-cig too, but it didn't really cut it for me. I didn't appreciate the looks I got from people, hehe.

Best of luck quitting. Laying off cigarettes hurts no one, except possibly the tobacco companies, which I'm frankly not losing any sleep over.

7. Petal

Thank you for your well wishes and I am really glad you quit too and have managed to stay off them. I'm still off them, i know it's not a long time but it is a long time for me if you know what I mean :)

8. Sumerian

Sumerian Active Member

I know exactly what you mean.

For me it didn't take long until the cigarette smoke was completely out of my system. I had one cigarette a few weeks after quitting, and it damn near made me gag, and I couldn't believe I used to do that shit daily.

9. Petal

I am still off the cigarettes, never thought I would last this long. It is not as hard as I thought it would be :) My chest feels a lot clearer which is great.

10. Petal

I am off the cigarettes 10 days now. Food smells and tastes nicer or maybe that is just my wonderful cooking ;) Seriously though a lot of changes, more money, bought myself a hair wand yesterday with money I saved. Here's to the next few weeks. Thank god I made it this far :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2015
  11. Dumas

Dumas Well-Known Member

I think that's so awesome , great job. I have been trying to stop so far I am down to 5 cigarettes a day. It also depends on how things are going that day . If I'm so stressed I smoke a few more .
    I wish you great success in getting the upper hand on thus habit .

12. Petal

It's nice easy to beat the habit so good luck, i don't even have a craving for one anymore though. Best of luck to you.

13. Petal

I'm 3 weeks off the cigarettes today :) I still don't even have a craving for one :) Go me =)

14. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

Awesome! Keep up the good work :)

15. Petal

Thank you hun <3 The e-cig is just brilliant :) I feel proud of myself for once :)

16. Witty_Sarcasm

Well I think you have a lot to be proud of, not just with the quitting smoking, but lots of other things as well. I know that doing well at things can be a motivator to keep going on the right track. I know that you will succeed at whatever you try to do. Just keep positive and hopeful :)

17. Petal

Thanks witty, yeah I have a few things going on, going to london in less than 2 weeks, have medical tests going on, going to college in september, things are falling into place for me :)

18. Witty_Sarcasm

Awesome, sounds like fun :) Hope all the medical tests go well :hug:

19. Petal

Thank you so much pet, i'll keep you updated :hugs:

20. danni

danni Chat Buddy

trust me chicka this is a awesome thing, but also very hard too. I quite smoking 4 months and it was hard. I took me 3 week for my body to go through all the withdraws. And let me tell you I can smell things better and food OMG taste amazing. I here for you :hug: