quit smoking

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by jimk, Oct 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimk

jimk Staff Alumni

it is the 17th of october 2011.. at 5:04 am i stopp;ed smoking..been an hour now and scared out of my mind and also really excited... had this habit since 1965 and it has been firmly attached with and to me for very long time..

for son johnny and me i really want this to be successful.. please wish me luck thru this quit process.. jim and johnny

2. Speedy

Speedy Staff Alumni

Best of luck, Jim! I believe you can do it. :hug:

3. hornbeam

hornbeam Well-Known Member

Best of luck to you Jim - You can do it !!

4. Bluey

Bluey Active Member

Ye good luck.
    I managed it.
    Been over 5 years since I had one. Sept one day when I got a lil drunkin I had a couple:$

I also think its moor about how you approach it and train of thought then well power. All though you well need that as well XD

You can do it and you well feel good about your self for each day you get into bed and not have had one. If you do have one don't beat up on your self to badly. Just try again and again. I tried multiple times to stop be for I got to where I eventually don't even think about it now :D Tis all good :)

Damn that was moor then I originally wanted to type lol

5. Stripe

Stripe Well-Known Member

Good Luck. I know how hard it is to quit.

6. jimk

jimk Staff Alumni

quote jimk
    well i went most of a day without the cigs, mall walking with johnny and doing ok with the quit.. then a call from my ex katie telling me again that situtation at her business was desperate and she had not a clue when she would be able to look after son johnny for a night..

this same thing has happened many times in the 21 yrs since she left and i could see if coming again but still hurts to be only caregiver for johnny.. love him dearly but 24/7 for now put me in the crapper..

this caused me to go to nearby 7-11 and buy a pack of marlboros.. opened and help one without lighting up and then just said oh fuck it and smoked.. well done one so wtfing hell i cannot do this quit anymore now..

felt really very down and depressed then..got some sleep adn better now.. going to email my therapist tara and let her know about this today.. also going up to 7-11 again and just give in a buy a new carton.. will try hard to do moderationa dn hold to a pack a day for awhile..

now is not the time to quit for me.. maybe never be i realize but trying hard to keep the faith and don't stop believing.. Jim
    --------------------------------------------------------
    did not go and buy anymore smokes this morning.. called quit coach at stop smoking clinic instead.. smoked last one and quit again at 7:35am this morning.. the habit and urge for nicotine does not sooth the beast in me.. it just makes me feel like a failure.. tastes adn smells awful and continues to bind me to a habit i want to stop..

have been using nicotine lozenges every hour and a half today.. think tomorrow morning may go get a bit white piece of construction paper and print on it ... do not go and buy smokes.. you are able to not smoke.. this will get easier over time .. you want to do this for you and johnny.

7. jimk

jimk Staff Alumni

been trying for about a week to kick the tobacco demon.. so far have failed mightily.. going half a day and buying a pack and chaining the whole damn thing..

well i am bloody tired of this behavior.. this morning early had gone 8 hours without anhd johnny was sleep and hopped in car and took the 2 minute trip to 7-11.. friendly guy clerk was standing outside puffing away.. told him to take his time adn then bought a pack of marlboros again from this genttleman.

well punchline today is i am going to space this pack today so got a couple left for when i wake up at 1am if lucky to make it that long adn have those two with a heavenly cup of wakeup juice coffee.. then going to give it a genuine try again to quit this god forsaken habit..

so many years of this habit and it is a real bitch to ditch.. God if you are listening now i could use a friendly hand tomorrow night.. Jim and jOhnny

8. Lana

Lana Well-Known Member

Hey hun. I hope you're able to beat this. Have you thought about using the patch or inhaler? I've heard they can help.
    :hug:

9. Mirikun

Mirikun Well-Known Member

Poor you. ): I can't even begin to imagine how hard it must be for you. But stay strong! Never give up! We're here to support you!

Have you considered trying hypnosis? My mum smoked for years when she was younger, and managed to quit quite fast with the help of hypnosis. I've had a few sessions with hypnotherapists as well for other things, and next to the aim of the sessions, it also just makes me feel really relaxed and happy. I think it would definitely be worth a try!

Good luck!

10. jimk

jimk Staff Alumni

thank you lana and mirikun.. starting to get near the end of the carton of marlboros i bought about ten days ago.. think tomorrow thursday sometime in the afternoon they will all be smoked.....

that means cold turkey until bedtime and a nicorette lozenge about midnight or so or one when awakening.. taking the 30 minutes or so to let it dissolve slowing in my mouth and then a cup of coffee without the marlboro..

here we go again.. life without the cancer sticks..

11. Isabel

Isabel Staff Alumni

As a smoker myself, I salute you effort! And cheers you from the bench! It takes lots of gut just to go from the "I should" to the "I do". Kudos my friend.

12. jimk

jimk Staff Alumni

thanks isabel. well 6am this morning thursday Nov. 10th 2011 i smoked last cigarette i had.. couple of hours under my belt so far.. talked to quitcoach from stop smoking clinic and johnny and i went mall walking this morning..

now going to do shaves, baths adn clean clothes just to be doing something wholesome otherwise.. after that will play a bit of car racing game forza as that is something else i need both hands for.. Jim

13. Speedy

Speedy Staff Alumni

Keep up the good work, Jim. :shake:

14. DylanS

DylanS Member

I had tried everything under the sun (hypnosis, gum, patches, etc.) I read the book, 'Alan Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking' and quit easily. I had maybe 2 days of slight irritability, gained no weight. I was a 1 1/2 pack a day-er. Might be worth a read...

15. sudut

sudut Well-Known Member

The nicotene patch really helped me. i never craved.

16. texaskitty

texaskitty SF Cat Lady Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I hope you are doing well Jim. I smoke as well and I know how hard it is to quit, I am making another run at it soon myself.

:hug:

17. jimk

jimk Staff Alumni

TexasKitty, hope you can succeed in kicking this really bear of a habit.. me personally i had really bad dreams after making it 24 hours two days ago.. took the 5 minute up and back to 7-11 and smoking almost before i realized it..

then after quitting again yesterday , was on here and dissociated badly and did the same trip for couple more packs and butts when came back to earth.. those both are over and am alright now..

DylanS, thanks for the recomendation of Allen Carr's book the easy way to quit smoking.. just read preface and introduction on my puter's kindle book reading program and willl progress quickly to the meat and potatoes for next two days till i have read it all.. he is such and optimist and says it is a ton easier than other methods.. got nothing to lose by trying his way..Jim

18. texaskitty

texaskitty SF Cat Lady Staff Alumni SF Supporter

good luck for today jimk!

19. MoAnamCara

MoAnamCara SF Artist

Jimk

I admire your tenacity for sticking with it, even when sometimes you falter just a little bit.

Its like riding a bike when young, we fall off but that doesn't put us off our goal of riding (quitting).

I fully realize how difficult it is to stop, I wish you much luck :hug:

20. jimk

jimk Staff Alumni

good people.. i just finished allen carr's book.. got little over a pack left and going to smoke till late afternoon probably and then they will be gone and i resolve at that time i am a non smoker now..

Mr. Carr has offered all kinds of good advice and tells you to do this in a postive uplifting declaration.. it is almost 2am and i am a bit short of sleep atm and not quite ready at this hour to assume that happy stance forever now.

hopefully later this day will become an optimistic little son of a gun..lol Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.