Quitting smoking

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Petal, Apr 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I am quitting right now!! I'm sick of smoking, it's giving me gum infections repeatedly, it's making me wheeze when I am awake and asleep, my lungs sounds like a whistle sometimes, it is making exercise harder, it costs a lot and the list goes on and on. Today is the day I quit. I pledge to not smoke again. We shall see how this pans out but I feel very determined for some reason this time.

Anyone have any tips for me? I will be using the nicotine gum to help me.

2. Koji

Koji Well-Known Member

Having a reason to live would be helpful

3. Petal

I've just woke up and by habit I lit up a cigarette and had a drag but as soon as I remembered I am quitting I put it out (that was very hard) but I could do it. I have plenty of reasons to live :)

4. ChestnutMay

ChestnutMay Antiquities Friend

Hey, Petal, just saw this and wondered how things are going? The one odd tip I have that helped me might actually make it harder for most people but here goes....

When I smoked, I noticed the craving was always worst if I was out of cigarettes. There was an added anxiety there, or something. When I decided to quit, I bought a couple of packs and put one in my car and kept one in my bedroom so I knew I could always have one if I wanted, which eliminated that added edge to the craving. This crazy idea actually worked. I did cave once but by then the cigarettes were so stale, it was a really nasty experience so did not encourage repeating.

This is the opposite of what most people recommend, I realize so I offer my tip somewhat hesitantly.

Most of what I offer is support and encouragement. You can do this. I don't remember how long it took for the worst of the craving to subside - maybe two weeks? The point is: it does subside so you only have to get through a temporary time period before relief sets in. It is not forever, although it might feel that way for awhile.

Good luck!

5. AsphyxiateOnMisery

AsphyxiateOnMisery Well-Known Member

I'm in the same boat. I have to get surgery in June and my surgeon told me I absolutely have to stop smoking for these 6 weeks until the surgery at least or there could be risk of complications. I'm getting the nicotine gum today, too. So I'll let you know how it goes. My previous attempts have failed, but something like this wasn't on the line at the time either.

6. caspar

caspar Well-Known Member

Maybe buy yourself a little treat everyday with the money you save from not smoking. Fresh flowers, a new shirt, fancy shower gel, a hair accessory...whatever you like. It will give you something to look forward to anyway, in the short term. I heard before that one of the appeals of smoking (especially in poor lower class areas) is the buying of something new every day, just for you, peeling off the plastic off a new packet. It makes a lot of sense to me, although I don't smoke anymore. Good luck, be persistent and you'll achieve your goal.

7. Petal

Nope~not off them. It is SO hard to quit but I am going to keep trying. I love the ideas, thanks :)

8. AsphyxiateOnMisery

AsphyxiateOnMisery Well-Known Member

I've still been smoking here and there too. A lot less than before...I only smoked like 6-7 cigarettes yesterday compared to the pack I usually smoke a day, but still. I'm actually going to try the electronic cigarette today instead of smoking actual cigarettes, see if that will be sufficient enough today.

9. Petal

Well done, I was motivated the first day then it all went downhill! Good on you hun, cutting down is good!

10. DrownedFishOnFire

DrownedFishOnFire Quieta non movere

Smoked a pack a day when I was out of it last year. Became a self medication tool for myself.

What helped was chewing gum for me. Just reguar gum. Went cold turkey and havent had a pang since then. I also took alot breaks outside just being outside not with a ciggy. I would say cig break and get out n just do nothing for few minutes even if I looked like an idiot

Maybe replacing the habit with another in the meanwhile?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2015
  11. I had a similar strategy, but instead of cigarettes I just carried a lighter (knowing I could go buy a pack at any time).

I feel like I had a fairly easy time quitting because I rapidly gain a tolerance and the buzz goes away. Without the buzz, it's just gross.

I'm curious, Petal, how have you been progressing?

12. Luie

Luie Well-Known Member

I've been smoking for stress management. Cigarettes give my brain a reason to wake up or get through tasks. Hasn't really affected my gum/tooth health, but I do get moderate bronchitis when I'm really sick. Props for deciding to quit though, I know it's really hard. I find nicotine-less vapes are really good for taking the edge off, and it's not bad for you. For anyone else trying to quit, e-cigs can help transition you, you can simply take the nicotine out and still smoke water vapor to help trick your brain. Doesn't work for everyone though, sort of like how fake-sugar can make you crave sugar more, but e-cigs in general are better than cigarettes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.