quitting smoking

Discussion in 'Self Care and Healthy Lifestyles' started by Insignificant, Jul 28, 2008.

1. Insignificant

Insignificant Account Closed

as of today i'm quitting smoking for the first time in 26 yrs. i have been in really good spirits here over the last couple of weeks, and now i'm crashing and hard. it's making me wonder if i should quit at all. i'm not sure how i will get through this.

i do want to quit, but i don't want to crash either. i don't know what to do.

sorry thanks for listening. take care
  2. innocencexisxlove

innocencexisxlove Well-Known Member

Quitting isn't easy.
    But it's worth it when you make it

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2008
  3. S.A.D.

S.A.D. Well-Known Member

It is worth it...It won,t be easy but you can do it :smile:
  4. Lucie

Lucie Well-Known Member

You could just slowly cut down then stop.
  5. Insignificant

Insignificant Account Closed

i wish i could cut down then stop unfortunately if i've got them in front of me i'm gonna smoke 'em. thanks for the advise though. i just wish i could do it that way. take care
  6. Random

Random Well-Known Member

I'm trying to quit right now. I kind of have to. I've been noticing this strange sensation in the back of my mouth for the past couple of months. I think it's related to the smoking and it freaked me out so I have to try and quit. I may be suicidal but cancer is definitely not a way I'd want to go.
  7. The_8th_Wonder

The_8th_Wonder senior Member

Great job! It's a long battle to quit but I'm sure you can do it! I don't think I'll even be pressured to start because I don't have any peer pressure.
  8. Random

Random Well-Known Member

Peer pressure is nothing to me. I don't care what others do or say or think and never have. For me, the addiction is an internal thing. It's not other people. It's me. I've got this little voice in there screaming for a smoke every few minutes and it just gets louder and louder. That god awful gnawing in my gut, the nerves. It's horrible.
  9. Crying All Time

Crying All Time Well-Known Member

thats great that you want to stop
    I'm smoker and I smoke very much and I don't have strength to stop... I'm too weak. I wanted to kill myself few times so I think my smallest problem at the moment is smoking...
    Anyway I wish you all the best about your stopping. Inform us here how do you feel :wink:
  10. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

Go to a doc and have him prescribe Chantix. Works wonders. It actually makes it so that you get nothing out of smoking, so you just lose the desire altogether.
  11. LostMyMind

LostMyMind Well-Known Member

I second the Chantix prescription idea. It is what I'm going to do when I get the money.
  12. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's about 130 USD. Funny that insurance doesn't cover it, considering the fact that they are saving themselves thousands in future medical bills. :dry: Hubby took Chantix and it works GREAT.
  13. Random

Random Well-Known Member

Well I finally quit. It was hell on Earth for a few days until it started easing up. I still get hit with the occasional craving every now and then but it's been getting progressively more infrequent. And I'd never give into them now because I'm doing too well. I wanted to quit too badly and I'm enjoying not having that constant desire to smoke too much to ever turn back. It was killing me and I could feel it and it sucked.

For those of you who think you can't quit, believe me, if I did, anyone can. There was a point a few years ago when I was smoking almost 4 packs a day. I was almost existing on smoke.

A month or so ago, I decided I couldn't take it anymore. I couldn't walk to the damn bathroom without getting out of breath. I didn't feel like doing anything that required even the slightest bit of physical movement. Felt like shit all the time. Since I've quit, I've been actually starting to enjoy life again. If you've been smoking heavily for a long time, you've probably forgotten how good it feels just to be able to breathe again. Quit smoking now. Don't wait. It will never get any easier. It'll never be the right time. The right time is now.

I know these things because I tried to cut back and all the other excuses we have to keep smoking. I was just torturing myself. I was getting terrible cravings because I wasn't letting myself smoke as many cigarettes as I really wanted. And I wanted more cigarettes because I was still smoking. It didn't end until I ended it. I smoked my last cigarette out of the last pack I bought and I didn't buy any more. I didn't have any money so I couldn't buy any more.

In the first 3-4 days, I would probably have broken down and bought some if I'd had any money. So if your problem is that you don't have the willpower to not buy them, try setting yourself up in a situation where you have no money. Do whatever it takes. Seriously. Have someone "babysit" you and make sure they won't let you give in. It will be seriously tough for a few days and then you'll start to be very pleased with yourself and you won't want to go back.
  14. Random

Random Well-Known Member

I did try the Chantix and I wouldn't say people shouldn't try it because whatever works is worth it. But don't expect miracles from it. You can't buy willpower and you will need willpower to stop smoking. Well, I should say that stopping isn't really the hardest part. The hardest part is not slipping and going back to it a month or a year later.

Also, Chantix made me really sick on my stomach for about 3 hours every time I took it.