Quotes you like

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm curious which ones you like from these to authors.. or any others you've found or have come up with yourself.. the ones in my signature I created on my own...

http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/c/carl_jung_3.html

http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/w/wayne_dyer.html

When an inner situation is not made conscious, it appears outside as fate.

We cannot change anything until we accept it. Condemnation does not liberate, it oppresses.

Where love rules, there is no will to power; and where power predominates, there love is lacking. The one is the shadow of the other.

The word "belief" is a difficult thing for me. I don't believe. I must have a reason for a certain hypothesis. Either I know a thing, and then I know it - I don't need to believe it.

A particularly beautiful woman is a source of terror. As a rule, a beautiful woman is a terrible disappointment.

Even a happy life cannot be without a measure of darkness, and the word happy would lose its meaning if it were not balanced by sadness. It is far better take things as they come along with patience and equanimity.

Every form of addiction is bad, no matter whether the narcotic be alcohol or morphine or idealism.

Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves.

If one does not understand a person, one tends to regard him as a fool.

It is a fact that cannot be denied: the wickedness of others becomes our own wickedness because it kindles something evil in our own hearts.

Knowing your own darkness is the best method for dealing with the darknesses of other people.

The healthy man does not torture others - generally it is the tortured who turn into torturers.

Show me a sane man and I will cure him for you.

Masses are always breeding grounds of psychic epidemics.

It all depends on how we look at things, and not how they are in themselves.

I really like this last one from Carl Jung...

A mind at peace, a mind centered and not focused on harming others, is stronger than any physical force in the universe.

How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.

It makes no sense to worry about things you have no control over because there's nothing you can do about them, and why worry about things you do control? The activity of worrying keeps you immobilized.

Judgements prevent us from seeing the good that lies beyond appearances.

The fact that you are willing to say, "I do not understand, and it is fine," is the greatest understanding you could exhibit.

The highest form of ignorance is when you reject something you don't know anything about.

You cannot be lonely if you like the person you're alone with.

Your children will see what you're all about by what you live rather than what you say.

When you judge another, you do not define them, you define yourself.

nolonger

One may have a blazing hearth in one's soul, and yet no one ever comes to sit by it. ~ Vincent van Gogh

The world is infinitely more beautiful through the eyes of a blind man. (unknown)

Some of these are truly meaningful quotes...thanks for sharing them
You're very welcome :)

One may have a blazing hearth in one's soul, and yet no one ever comes to sit by it. ~ Vincent van Gogh

The world is infinitely more beautiful through the eyes of a blind man. (unknown)
I like those two, they're quite unique.

“Nothing has such a convincing effect as a lie one invents one’s self and believes one’s self, or an evil deed or intention whose righteousness one regards as self evident…this individual phenomenon becomes more dangerous when the lie is taken seriously by the larger public.” -Carl Jung. The theory of the collective shadow warns against projecting one’s hidden fears and anxieties onto a created enemy, which is made to appear as inferior. Scapegoating, so to speak.

"As Jung put it, the shadow becomes a dark thing in one’s own psyche, ‘an inferiority which none the less really exists even through only dimly suspected.’ The person wants to get away from this inferiority, naturally; he wants to ‘jump over his own shadow.’ The most direct way of doing this is by ‘looking for everything dark, inferior, and culpable’ in others” (Qtd in Becker 94-95), and in so doing, converts this shameful guilt into hatred which he projects onto others.

"Revenge converts a little right into a great wrong" -German proverb

People who want the most approval get the least and people who need approval the least get the most.

What we think determines what happens to us, so if we want to change our lives, we need to stretch our minds.

Last edited by a moderator:

MLKane

"The world needs anger. The world often continues to allow evil because it isn’t angry enough." - Bede Jarrett

“Hope is the worst of evils, for it prolongs the torment of man” - Friedrich Nietzsche

“We are each our own devil, and we make this world our hell” - Oscar Wilde

“He who does not punish evil commands it to be done.” - Leonardo Da Vinci

“The evil that is in the world almost always comes of ignorance, and good intentions may do as much harm as malevolence if they lack understanding.” - Albert Camus

“The sun also shines on the wicked” - Senaca

“Men can only be happy when they do not assume that the object of life is happiness” - George Orwell

damage.case

Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. - Buddha

pppqp

"I’m not only uninterested in having children. I am opposed to having children. Having a purebred human baby is like having a purebred dog; it is nothing but vanity, human vanity."

"Recognize meat for what it really is: the antibiotic- and pesticide-laden corpse of a tortured animal."

Ingrid Newkirk

R

Raven

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness. That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed.

Such words, But when they were spoken if you were black you did not count.

I wonder if it will ever apply to lesser beings of this world?

“He who does not punish evil commands it to be done.” - Leonardo Da Vinci

“The evil that is in the world almost always comes of ignorance, and good intentions may do as much harm as malevolence if they lack understanding.” - Albert Camus
Regarding the first quote what is evil is subjective to some degree also what is a fitting punishment is also subjective. By punishing "evil" outside the law with "evil" you're in many cases possesed by the very thing you're trying to destroy or punish. This is generally what's know as revenge or some form of street justice, it usually goes above and beyond the necessary repayment for a wrong.

Therefore in punishing "evil" with "evil" does the punisher(s) then deserve punishment? or they're justified in their evil? I'm basically alluding to the "eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind" quote.

For example if someone wrongs someone in (Group B) and whomever they wronged feels justified in killing that person for whatever reason, now that person is dead(the victim) and their enemy feels they deserved it as pay back(victim blaming). Now does someone from the dead person's(Person A) family have the right to avenge their death and kill someone from the group who wronged them? Even when (Person A the murder victim) never killed or stabbed anyone, it's certainly an arguable case...

So if someone avenge's Person A against whomever from person B's group that was avenged now Group B feels justified in avenging their person who was killed... It just becomes an egotistical cycle of paying someone back in their own wicked coin, and not wanting any "evil to go unpunished"...

The reality is if you're self involved interest is that to kill or seriously harm someone who has wronged you or wronged someone you know and you can gain, money, power or pleasure, you will find whatever you can to rationalize your "evil", to clothe that act with excuses... The sad part is in many cases you don't even know the person you are deeming to be "evil", it's very easy to judge someone you do not really know at all.

I like the second quote. When one lacks understanding even if they mean well they can do a lot of damage.

"Empty people, or people who have an excellent opinion of themselves and cherish amazing virtues, have always somebody in their surroundings who carries all their evil. This is literally true."

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness. That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed.

Such words, But when they were spoken if you were black you did not count.

I wonder if it will ever apply to lesser beings of this world?
Yeah isn't that a hypocritical that it were true except if you were black..

What exactly do you mean by lesser beings of this world, are you reffering to those who are oppressed, or something else?

pppqp

"Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense."

"To laugh often and much;
To win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children;
To earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends;
To appreciate beauty, to find the best in others;
To leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition;
To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived.
This is to have succeeded."

"It is one of the most beautiful compensations of this life that no man can sincerely try to help another without helping himself."

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Each morning when I open my eyes I say to myself: I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it."

- Groucho Marx

Phteven

I like my beer cold, my TV loud and my homosexuals flaming. (Homer J. Simpson)

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect. (Mark Twain)

just a couple of quotes that sick with me for some reason...EDIT: a friend of mine has a quote form me that he likes - "I know bacon's not a meal, shut up, I'm fat ok" I think this is my best quote :D

Pickett

@1izombie I chuckled at the Homer Simpson quote. That show is great. Do they make new episodes I wonder.

@BabyStep I like the Groucho Marx quote. I appreciate comedy and the Marx brothers were HUGE for their time. You can even see the stars on the re-runs of M*A*S*H like Alan Alda imitate them.

Here's a quote that I like

"The most wonderful thing about Tiggers is I'm the only one!"

"Life is a mystery, everyone must stand a-lone, I hear you call my name and it feeeeells like home... when you call my name it's like a little prayer..." <<You get the idea LOL I totally dreamed that music video word for word one time I attempted suicide.

"Each individual has responsibility "to heal where others harm, mend where others destroy, [and] to redeem evil by turning its negative energies to good."

"What is strong wins; that is the universal law. If only that were not so often what is precisely stupid and evil."

"There is nothing quite so terrible as evil masquerading as virtue."

"Non-cooperation with evil is as much a duty as is cooperation with good. "

The strong man holds in a living blend strongly marked opposites. The idealists are usually not realistic, and the realists are not usually idealistic. The militant are not generally known to be passive, nor the passive to be militant. Seldom are the humble self-assertive, or the self-assertive humble. But life at its best is a creative synthesis of opposites in fruitful harmony. The philosopher Hegel said that truth is found neither in the thesis nor the antithesis, but in the emergent synthesis which reconciles the two.

Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that. Hate multiplies hate, violence multiplies violence, and toughness multiplies toughness in a descending spiral of destruction. So when Jesus says "Love your enemies," he is setting forth a profound and ultimately inescapable admonition. ... The chain reaction of evil — hate begetting hate, wars producing more wars — must be broken, or we shall be plunged into the dark abyss of annihilation.

Rarely do we find men who willingly engage in hard, solid thinking. There is an almost universal quest for easy answers and half-baked solutions. Nothing pains some people more than having to think.

Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.

I'm concerned about justice. I'm concerned about brotherhood. I'm concerned about truth. And when one is concerned about these, he can never advocate violence. For through violence you may murder a murderer but you can't murder murder. Through violence you may murder a liar but you can't establish truth. Through violence you may murder a hater, but you can't murder hate. Darkness cannot put out darkness. Only light can do that.

Nonviolence is the answer to the crucial political and moral questions of our time — the need for mankind to overcome oppression and violence without resorting to violence and oppression. Civilization and violence are antithetical concepts… Sooner or later all the people of the world will have to discover a way to live together in peace, and thereby transform this pending cosmic elegy into a creative psalm of brotherhood. If this is to be achieved, man must evolve for all human conflict a method which rejects revenge, aggression and retaliation. The foundation of such a method is love.

"It seems to be a fact of life that human beings cannot continue to do wrong without eventually reaching out for some rationalization to clothe their act"

foolnomore

In modern business it is not the crook who is to be feared most, it is the honest man who doesn't know what he is doing.
William Wordsworth

That best portion of a man's life, his little, nameless, unremembered acts of kindness and love.
William Wordsworth

Speedy

Staff Alumni
"TeamWORK makes the dream work!" A psych tech at the hospital I stayed at in the past, but I don't know who originally said it and I can't find it online.

Acy

Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense
Admin
SF Supporter
"If you treat a man as he is, he will remain as he is; if you treat him as he ought to be and could be, he will become as he ought to be and could be." Goethe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$145.00
Goal
$255.00