Qur'an burning

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Axiom, Sep 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Axiom

Axiom Account Closed

(when the Quran was going to be burned)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfPPtHtUfmQ (

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yGs9KiMEyA&feature=related more on his rational

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/US/09/10/florida.quran.burning.imam/#fbid=1_35i10jQhK&wom=false
    Now he's called it off, but if you watch the video in the link, he says that the amman(?) told him that if they didn't burn the Quran they would move the Mosque in NY. The Amman(sp) denies this agreement, and now the pastor is having second thoughts about calling off the Quran burning.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2010
  2. feathers

feathers Well-Known Member

After watching muslims burning the American flag on the news in protest, I say burn it.

3. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

Texas v. Johnson says anyone can burn a flag or desecrate any symbol they choose, as long as persons and property aren't harmed. The thing about legal precedents though is that moral exceptions will always come afterward, and eventually the precedent will be obsolete under the tag of "National Security". People will do what they are free to do; I just hope they're ready to face the tragic consequences that proceed these acts of freedom.

And then they want to cry "why" afterward. Typical.

4. flyingdutchmen

flyingdutchmen Well-Known Member

Great additude, someone willing to insult a couple hundred-million people or an entire relegion because "some" people decided to burn an american flag. Have you ever hear from the greater good or an Chain reaction.We should be smarter.

5. KittyGirl

KittyGirl Well-Known Member

The whole situation just reeks of fear and ignorance.

Throughout history- ever since books were beginning to be mass produced, burning books was done out of fear that people would take the knowledge inside of the books and change their view about something.
    It's an act to prove dominance over the masses... but these days you can find everything online, so burning a book isn't going to do you any good.
    It's just an act of violence against trees. lol

Burning the Quran isn't going to solve any problems, only create more and divide people even further than they already are. So... which side will volunteer to be the adult, hm? These people are just a bunch of children, honestly. -__-

6. cult logic

cult logic Staff Alumni

I'm actually rather intrigued as to what would happen.

7. Mystic

Mystic Well-Known Member

Now this has made news, how long is it going to be before someone else burns it?

8. Issaccs

Issaccs Well-Known Member

Rebeling kids burn bibles all the time, I'm pretty sure this is only the first time someone has made a media event out of it, though personally, I say they should use this "recruitment bononza" to bring more extremists into the open and drop bombs on them and their familys :)

9. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

So you're explicitly in favour of killing innocent civilians? Nice.

10. Zurkhardo

Zurkhardo Well-Known Member

I find the act asinine and needlessly polemical. I think the man behind it was as motivated by attention-seeking as he was bigotry. It's a shame the public has given this so much attention though - it only feeds more nonsense like this.

11. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Well-Known Member

If he wants to do it the legal precedent is clear - he can. There are a few famed videos on the internet of people using bacon as a bookmark in their ironically owned Qur'ans, people putting in the toilet and flushing, etc.

Whether or not he carries out he symbolic act of burning the book it has no relevance to how he feels. Which really matters, that one is a certain way or that they express it?

12. feathers

feathers Well-Known Member

Great attitude, someone willing to insult a couple hundred-million people or an entire country because "some" people decided to burn a koran.

Swings both ways, y'know.

13. Issaccs

Innocence is relative.

14. Ihatemyselfalot

Ihatemyselfalot Banned Member

I couldn't care less.

15. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Not if your crime is being related to someone.

16. Issaccs

Relative to my mood and alcohol consumption at the time apparently.

That said, I wont shed tears if the Americans drop a bomb on a home of someone they know to be harbouring these people.

17. TrentGrad

TrentGrad Well-Known Member

It's a good point you make Prin...though I think in that sentiment, given the outcry against the Islamic Cultural Center near Ground Zero, they should consider moving that.

They have the right to build there...however the moral consideration is that it is in essence a front row seat for any extremist who considers this anniversary (9/11) some great triumph...instead of some sickening event perpetrated by some very evil people!

18. mulberrypie

mulberrypie Well-Known Member

this koran burning guy is a master troll, i am in awe. much respect to terry jones for his international burn a koran day. the media and everyone else took the bait. but seriously, like the mosque, this is another example of how just because you the right to do something doesn't mean you should.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2010
  19. Edgar Roni Figaro

Edgar Roni Figaro Well-Known Member

You and I have had many disagreements but I can agree with you on that.

Political correctness was started by the Soviet Union. Anyone who calls people a bigot, a racist, an islamophobic,these are people who wish to destroy the first amendment of Americans by silencing them into shame.

America needs to get its balls back and stand up for American culture. Over 1 billions muslims exists in over 20 different countries. America is not a mulsim nation and we will never be a mulsim nation. We are a nation free from religious control and we will not be thrown into the dark ages because of fanatical religious nuts.

I say the Constitution should be amended to severely limit the ability of religious nut jobs to force their religious beliefs on anyone.

20. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Well-Known Member

Ad Hitler type fallacy.

Nope, they're people that are exercising THEIR first amendment right.

Here I thought that the Statue of Liberty was outlining the culture of the US:

"Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
    With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
    Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
    Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

I don't understand the point of this...

True, Muslims don't own America.

Yes, those people that go to Islamic community centre - EVERY LAST ONE - is a fanatical nut!

Guess what? NO! There are muslims in my school and every one of them is at least as rational as the Christian kids.

You do realize that the constitution already has that limitation? Maybe you should read it? Maybe you should also realize that not every Muslim is looking to blow your face off.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.