Racial Prejudice/Discrimination

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Anonymous2, Oct 1, 2007.

?

Do you discriminate against and/or dislike people who are not of your own race?

1. No

14 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anonymous2

Anonymous2 Well-Known Member

No. I judge people by the content of their character not the color of their skin.

2. ~CazzaAngel~

~CazzaAngel~ Staff Alumni

Me too.

3. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

No I don't. However, I tend to have excellent judgement regarding the character of others and can usually decide within 5 minutes of meeting someone or hearing them speak whether or not they have a good heart and I am almost never wrong about this in my experience.

4. Random

Random Well-Known Member

This, in itself, is also a form of prejudice because just from knowing someone in that short a time frame, you can't know what their life has been like or how they got that way. Often, there are mitigating circumstances.

5. ~PinkElephants~

~PinkElephants~ Senior member

I wrote a poem once. Here's part of it

She cries the same tears
    The same salty, little tears
    And she bleeds the same blood
    The same dark crimson red
    She's no different then you or I
    Her skin color is just a pigment
    A pigment of your imagination
    Black, white, red or blue
    She's the same as you on the inside
    Just a little different on the out

We are no different than the next person, we bleed the same, we cry the same. We are all alike on the inside who cares about the out.

6. bunny

bunny Staff Alumni

one thing i like about the internet is you cant even tell race (sometimes not even gender) unless someone clearly says "i am ...."

if person A got to know someone (person B) online, and became good friends with them, but then abandoned that friendship because A found out B was another race, then to be completely honest, A is a hole!

7. Blackness

Blackness Guest

yes me too, and I know a race which are all the same.
    Hence why i dont like them!

Nothing wrong with it.

8. bunny

bunny Staff Alumni

so youve met every single person of this race you dont like then blackness?

9. ~PinkElephants~

not all people of a single race are alike, so how can you hate all one race??

10. Blackness

Blackness Guest

Well every single person from X race have been a total asshole.
    Even when ya see then on tv, down the street, whatever.
    Even on msn and the net, ive asked are you of X race..and they say yes.
    I can spot em from a mile away. I dont like them.
    I dont have to like everyone.
    I dont like people taking over my country.

11. hammockmonkey

hammockmonkey Well-Known Member

this question is faulty, I do not like certain people who are not of my "race." But, I don't dislike them because they are not my "race."

12. bunny

bunny Staff Alumni

even so, you havent met every person of that race, and by saying they are all the same without meeting all of them isnt fair, even if there really is only 1 nice person in that race, at least acknowledge they may exist, otherwise you are judging people by the colour of their skin and not their character, if you havent met someone you cant know their character

13. Blackness

Blackness Guest

I dont care what you say.
    Dont turn this into some kind of personal attack.
    Everyone is racists, there no way about it.
    And there's no need to lie either, or feel bad about the way one feels.

I'm no fake.

14. dink

dink Well-Known Member

despised mage are you ok?

15. bunny

bunny Staff Alumni

im not attacking you, im just trying to point out what i see as a flaw in your thinking

look at it this way, if you meet 100 people (of any race) you can't use them to judge what the 101st person character will be like because we are all different

i dont feel bad when i don't like someone, because i wont have made the judgement based on skin

imagine you were blind for a year, and couldn't ask someone their race either (it hypothetical remember), and in that time you met someone you really liked and after the year you found out that they were in this race you dislike, would you no longer like them?

16. Life is not "fair" it's a lot easer to judge someone on skin color and the wrongs the race has done in the past, its human for us to fit people into stereotypes,its human for us to categorizes, people and subjects, part of our intelligence, and instinct tells us who is bad and who is good, and by nature vs nurture, I find that people find people of a certain race bad, it's just how they were raised, and by the "nature" of the persons ethnicity. "Mankind has grown strong in eternal struggle, and only in eternal peace does it perish." So people are trying to learn from past mistakes, and trust is a huge issue.

17. ~PinkElephants~

I dont think she's targetting you hun. She's giving you her opinion just like you are giving yours. I'm sorry but I agree with what bunny is saying. you don't know all of one race, it's a physical impossibility.

Are you calling me fake b/c im not a racist? I am not lying so please don't call me a fake. I know what I believe and that's all that matters

18. ~PinkElephants~

why r u asking this in this thread? It wasn't started by him and it has no posts by him in it

19. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

Yes, it is, but I can't help having good judgment. Once I DO get to know the person, I am generally right (I can think of maybe 2 exceptions in my life). Also, there may be mitigating circumstances to someone being a complete dick but that doesn't mean I want to hang out with that person. There are social consequences to certain behaviors and some people I simply will not waste my time with. I hardly think this is as arbitrary as judging someone based on skin color.

20. lebigmac

lebigmac Well-Known Member

Nope. Given the city I grew up in, there was almost no way I could end up a racist, even if it was encoded in my genes.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.