racing thoughts of anxiety!

Discussion in 'Midnight Owl' started by Anonymous Dude, Oct 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anonymous Dude

Anonymous Dude Well-Known Member

i keep thinking about is the point at which i fall asleep, maybe i'll have nightmares, what am i going to do when i move out? Sigh every negative thought that pops into my head is another minute i stay awake tonight.
  2. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

Try reading yourself to sleep. I read a really good novel with a tiny light, and when I can't hold my eyes open anymore, I shut it off and try to think about what I've been reading. This helps lots. Especially if you find a good sleeping pill. Mine's generic over-the-counter stuff (Simply Sleep) but if you can get Ambien, that stuff is the shit. Also, if you're religious at all, try repetitive prayer. Takes your mind off your racing thoughts. Good luck.
  3. Blackness

Blackness Guest

I got told this stuff...

when you can't sleep and you're having racing thoughts, it's best to just get out of bed, don't lay there. Get out, don't turn the big light on, a small lamp will do and write everything down, all your thoughts, all your worries! Then try and go back to bed. Or just do some meaningless work, like a crossword or something, bore the hell out of your brain, then you surely will be able to nod off :)
  4. Nessarose

Nessarose Well-Known Member

That happens to me; it's 10:30 in the morning and I haven't been able to sleep yet.

Anastasia and Blackness have given good suggestions. Sometimes it's hard to concentrate on anything, but I do find that writing things out gives me relief, if not make me sleepy. Also, I've read that one's bed should only be used for sleeping and, um, intimacy. That way, the mind gets used to associating bed with sleep. You've probably already heard that, though.

Other things are taking a hot bath half an hour or so before sleep (the change in temperature when you get out is supposed to make you sleepy), dark bedroom, etc. Baths usually help me relax.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.