Random Rant

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by TheLoneWolf, Jul 11, 2012.

1. TheLoneWolf

TheLoneWolf Well-Known Member

Fuck Microsoft and their "auto updates"... slowing down my computer and ruining a perfectly good song.

Oh, great, the latest security updates... gee, thanks. You know what would be better than regular security updates? If you were able to design an operating system that wasn't so vulnerable to viruses and hackers in the first place. But that's okay, I understand. It's not like you're a huge multi billion dollar corporation with the resources to be able to do something like that. Poor Bill Gates, just a struggling businessman trying to get by in a tough economy.

I suppose it's my own fault for still using Windows XP. Maybe I could afford to buy a new computer if I had a net worth of $61 billion. You're welcome, Bill. Not like I had a choice in the matter. It was either your piece of crap operating system or an Apple, and since I'm not cool enough to be a hipster, I went with the Hewlett Packard.

2. sadhart

sadhart Well-Known Member

Do you mean the auto updates that force you to have to restart your pc? I really don't understand why they do that. Sorry to hear that happened to you tonight.

3. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

:thumbdown: well said wolf!

are they the ones that shut you down in the middle of something you're doing without warning and then when you restart you can't find the 2 page letter you were writing or that new song you were listening too is no longer appealing?????
    they seem to know just the wrong moment to do their 'updates' dont they..

4. TheLoneWolf

Yep, those are the exact updates I'm complaining about. It wasn't actually the mandated restart that ticked me off though, it was the downloading itself. I have an old, slow computer, so when it starts downloading something while I'm already surfing the web and listening to iTunes, it slows everything down... including the lovely song that I was TRYING to enjoy. I tried to cancel the update to put it off until a later time, but it wouldn't let me. :furious:

5. WildCherry

WildCherry Staff Member ADMIN

I hate those! It always wants to restart at the most inconvenient times. And even if you were using Vista or 7, you'd still have to deal with the damn updates.

6. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

Yeah I have Vista and it did it again this morning after i just got logged in and all set up to go and bam!!
    "Microsoft is now updating your computer, blah, blah, blah." and closes it down again.:throw:

7. TheLoneWolf

Well... that sucks.

Argh, I hate that! What the hell, Microsoft? Why didn't you do this when I wasn't using my computer, BEFORE I shut it down? It would be nice if I could schedule them myself... well, I probably could, I think I can disable auto updates but MICROSOFT STRONGLY RECOMMENDS THAT YOU DON'T DO THIS, OR ELSE YOUR COMPUTER MAY OR MAY NOT SPONTANEOUSLY COMBUST.

8. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

:evil: :pcwhack: :rant: :thatsit:

9. house_atraides

house_atraides Active Member

Someone last year found a way to stop my updates from kicking me off programs. I'm not to fond of the stress Windows put me in the past. I remember having to use a really bad pc in highschool. I finished a paper late at night, and I sat back excited I wrapped up a long paper. Suddenly Microsoft words closes and my computer shuts off. I was livid. Even now my pc is fairly good but I always have to worry about it getting a virus. Or losing all my data/pics/papers from another harddrive melting. Computer can be a real pain sometimes.

10. TheLoneWolf

Oh damn, that would really have to suck. I know how upset I get when I lose an email or a private message I was composing, so I can only imagine how pissed I'd be to lose an entire school paper! I've spent hours on some of those... I swear, one of the essays I wrote for an English class I took had to have been close to 20 pages long, and that's without any of the little tricks of using a slightly bigger font, bigger margins, extra spacing, etc. That thing probably took me 8 hours to write and even longer to research. If my computer had lost it, said computer would have been hurled out the window faster than you can say "you've got mail".

11. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

Lol I hate stupid ass updates. And would you really need to be a hipster to be cool? You are already pretty awesome :cool:

12. TheLoneWolf

Lol, I thought I needed to be cool to be a hipster. So wait... if I'm awesome, does that mean I can be a hipster then? Ooh ooh, do I get my own iPhone and a grande venti Starbucks latte??? Then I can get some Buddy Holly glasses, wear trendy clothes and brag about how I'm so non-mainstream.

Nah, I kid the hipsters. They're alright people. I just never felt a strong need to own an Apple computer. The no virus part sounds nice, but from what I hear, the only reason they don't get viruses is because no self respecting hacker wants to waste his time writing code for Macs.

13. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

I always say that if you have to label yourself, then you are a poser. If you are a hipster, or goth or whatever, you won't go around saying "I'm a hipster!" So it's always good to be who you are, because people will like you for who you are.

14. house_atraides

house_atraides Active Member

Yeah, I wished I had the look on my face when the computer just shut off. It was funny way after it happened but when I had to explain it to the teacher, that was not fun. 20 pages is intense, I would've chucked the computer out the window as well if that happened!

15. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

:laugh: