Rant about mental illness

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by midnightstar, Aug 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. midnightstar

midnightstar Senior Member

Mental ill-health isn't taken seriously. People treat it as a joke. How is it fair that someone should try their hardest to help others all their lives and put their own needs and wants aside time and time again should be shoved aside when they need help desperately? How is it fair that people with mental health issues should be treated like they are worthless? How is it fair that they should be driven to suicide because people who have never experienced mental health issues judge them harshly and won't try to help them? I've been in that place and it's horrible. How is it fair for people to assume just because someone has mental health problems that they are a bad person and undeserving of help? Why is it so hard for people to show compassion to those in severe emotional pain and offer to HELP that person? I seriously wish people would realise that mental health problems are just as much a disability as being in a wheelchair or having an amputated limb or something.
  2. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

It is not fair simply, none of it. It is absolutely real and often overlooked or looked down upon. The only thing to be done is not to accept the ignorance or non caring atitude of others and to be your own very vocal advocate.
  3. Samara

Samara Account Closed

I do not disagree that it appears to be a good majority of people who treat it like a joke, or simply have no way to even begin to fathom what it feels like to be stuck with a mental illness.

They will often call people with mental illnesses, crazy, psycho, insane, weird, stupid, useless, worthless etc... and all of these labels have nothing to do with the reason why someone with a mental illness might be acting the way they are, or might be unable to act the "right" or expected way etc...

I have personally dealt with all of these labels, as a result of my own mental state, and I just felt so isolated with nobody ever giving it a chance to think.

It got so bad that at one point and time, I even wished a family member pain, and wished that her husband would die, so that she could be in pain; and once she was grieving and upset, I would ask her why she was that way, and insult her for being that way etc... Basically, I told this to her, to give her the idea that when she is down and at her lowest, imagine what it'd be like if I came to her and said she's lazy for struggling to get up again in life, and saying she's weird for being upset, and calling her a psycho for not moving on and being maybe angry about the loss etc..

This is bad of me, but again, it's gets to a point where people are just so ignorant or rude, that sometimes I do end up wishing hardship on them, so they could understand maybe what depression is, or what it feels like to struggle emotionally etc...

Obviously that is not going to happen, and I would not do that to someone if that ever did happen; but again, I do understand what it's like to feel like I am always the one who has to change, and I am always the one who is wrong; and everyone else wants to act like they are mentally fine.
  4. Misery

Misery Member

Too true. Sadly I've dealt with a lot of this as well. My mom and brother often say things that are really hurtful for me, like that they don't even believe in mental illness. I just have to roll my eyes and walk away. They are also downright cruel a lot of the time. Like being mentally ill gives everyone license to bully me. When I complain that they are bullying, other people say it's just "tough love". My mom's pastor tells her she should kick me out because I can't work or anything ( I do receive disability income which i use to help out with rent, bills etc). Her pastor says "why do you put up with that?" I tried to tell my mom that if I was struggling with some physical problem nobody would ever suggest that. Imagine it "OMG your daughter was paralyzed in an accident?? How long are you going to put up with that? Kick her out of the house!" No compassion anywhere. I wish it was different.
  5. Astrid

Astrid Member

I can relate, unfortunately. It's not fair indeed, but it's reality.
  6. youRprecious!

youRprecious! Antiquities Friend

That's a terrible thing for a pastor, of all people to say,,,,,, but it doesn't surprise me...... unfortunately. He is very, very wrong to say that - no compassion or empathy at all, and totally not like Jesus. I stopped taking my "wounds" to pastors when they just used them to advance themselves, their standing in other ppl's eyes, their agenda etc. I am sorry that this happened to you/is happening Misery. You could ask your Mom what gives him the right to say this - is it his theological degree? They can be about as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.