Rant from new member

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by Tecky, Aug 12, 2008.

1. Tecky

Tecky Well-Known Member

I have been talking to my psychologist. He's the only person
    who's willing to talk to me. Severe depression. Whatever that means.
    As if depression can be anything else other than 'severe'...

I keep telling my psychologist that my suicide is a matter of when
    not if. I even told him about my Suicide Kit. A bottle of whiskey,
    box of razor blades and 30 bucks to rent a motel room for the
    occasion. Maybe thats why he insists I see him every week. He thinks
    we are making 'progress' though. Maybe that's why I am not warded.
    But then in Singapore u have to do something really drastic to get
    warded. Such as criticizing the government.

Now, I want to make my position clear. I don't really condone
    suicide for those of you who live in First World countries. A
    country that provides welfare for citizens and ingrained beliefs in
    human rights means you have a chance to beat the system and live! On
    the other hand, if you are from a 3rd world country (Singapore in my
    case) where 'human rights' and 'welfare' are dirty words, you cannot
    help but have no hope... There is no light at the end of the tunnel.

The government keeps telling us to work till we die. That our
    savings should be kept by the government. Tell me then, why should I
    live till a ripe old age? If the only thing I can look forward to is
    hard work and having my hard earned savings withheld by the
    government till the day I die? Remember Boxer the horse from 'Animal
    Farm'? Is that Life?

I am not the only one who shares this thought. Already Singapore has
    a reputation as Suicide Capital of the World.

Happy to be here to share my thoughts.
  2. Melancholy

Melancholy Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum

:sad: I wish I knew what to say, but I'm afraid all I can offer is a listening ear for any more venting, should you wish to use it. I'm sorry you're having such a tough time.

Feel free to PM me
  3. rojomi

rojomi Banned Member

Welcome. I'm aware that Singapore isn't Shangra-La, but I don't think anywhere is. The ONLY thing that keeps me going is the goal to leave this mausoleum I share w/ a (barely) living old creep & escape from the good ole USA. Yes, we have social services here, but it's not enough to live on and the "help" one receives is dictated by whatever hierarchy is in power. At this time that would be a government that is working on plans to convert all Social Security recipients into alternative eco-friendly fuel for all the happy families who live to consume & waste the limited resources left on the planet.
    There's also Plan M, in which we would be used to build a giant wall along the Mexican border.
  4. TheWr0ngChild

TheWr0ngChild Well-Known Member

I also know Singapore is not one of THE nicest countries to live in, but in these times nether is mine. Loads of people want to come to the UK for work and to live, but we are almost in ressession right now and the government are deporting A LOT of migrant workers. As for human rights, we have a nice glossy front but it's not all like that here even. Our human rights are violated by local government departments (councils) spying on us over minor issues and giving out fines for petty offences that are not even worth a mention. They extort cash out of people by ANY means they can and drivers are pretty much criminals as soon as they get behind the wheel. Prices are getting out of control, people are losing jobs, homelessness is at an all time high and the murder rate is deplorable.

I know there are worse countries to live than Singapore too, Africa for instance where children die from treatable illnesses every so many seconds and AIDS is rife. In some countries the governments withold food, there is no work, no clean water etc etc. Yours might be restrictive in some ways, but there are always people worse off.

You sound like a bright person, and hopefully one day soon you'll get your chance to move away to college. Don't throw these chances away in a rash decision. It's never too late, never.
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2008