Rape *Triggering - Please be Cautious*

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Darken, May 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darken

Darken Well-Known Member

rape. whats your opinion on it and why it happens? some people in my family have been raped sadly. It hurt them alot mentally and they have remembered it their whole lives.

2. Marshmallow

Marshmallow Staff Alumni

Re: Rape

In my opinion rape is not about sex or sexual pleasure but about dominance and power. The rapist likes to have control over every little movement of their victim. To control their victims life for that amount of time. Being forced to do something against your will is a traumatic experience and often affects the victims life.

I really don't know what do say on this subject. Everyone has opinions on this matter and i'm guessing their pretty much gonna be similar.

3. *dilligaf*

*dilligaf* Staff Alumni

I agree with everything Vikki has said. It IS about power in my opinion.

4. theleastofthese

theleastofthese SF Friend Staff Alumni

It's about power and control and FEAR. Having never lost that fear and still having nightmares about it during that time of year I"d have to say that one experience scarred me pretty deeply. It's not about sex, just that the rapist's sexual organ is used as a weapon. If it were only about sex than old ladies and infants wouldn't be raped.

least

5. Darken

Darken Well-Known Member

There are lots of ways to do things that make you feel more powerfull and in control tho. Like I seen a show the other day about this guy who kidnaped women and tied them up and did sick shit to them, that would definitely put some one in more control than just sex. im like a damn asexual now because of all the negative effects ive seen sex have, and because so many people demonize sex.

6. sadsong

sadsong Staff Alumni

in order not to hijack the thread, please post in letters to management to discuss this issue YBT. Thank you

7. Jackson

Jackson Guest

I'm sure it can be about just the sex, too. Some people want it so badly that they're willing to take it. Some people think it's ok to take it. Some people are so delusional they think the guy or girl wants it, and then take it. Etc.

8. Anonymous Dude

Anonymous Dude Well-Known Member

I'm waiting for someone to be the devil's advocate here :laugh:. But really, taking something against someone else's will is almost always wrong.

9. ybt

ybt Guest

it's just a really, really redundant question. i don't think anybody here is *for* rape, we know it happens, and the victims are victims, etc...

10. ~Nobody~

~Nobody~ Well-Known Member

Was this in response to what I said in another thread? A discussion started about whether or not rape could be considered okay or inevitable from an evolutionary/biological point of view. The idea was brought up that other animals rape all the time. I said the discussion should be moved to the Soap Box so that the other thread could just be supportive of the original poster.

If this is about evolutionary psychology and those ideas about rape, just say so and I'll provide plenty of reading material. Hell, it's even revision, got my psychology exam in a few weeks *shudders*.

11. ybt

ybt Guest

Lol. now we're really getting into really dangerous territory...

one could argue rape is okay because of the evolution thing, but then you have to look at the consequences. people are emotionally scarred from rape, and although they don't necessarily commit suicide because they were raped at some point, i'd rather avoid the damage than "evolutionary gains"...

12. ~Nobody~

Oh of course.

This whole theory was the first thing to make me HATE most evolutionary psychologists. Unfortunately my main Psychology teacher was one, so we er... clashed :tongue:. (I've since stopped attending school and am teaching myself from books, so it doesn't matter anymore.)

Basically, the theory goes that it's a natural phenomenon for those who are unable to find a willing mate, to just force one. People have actually tried to use this as a defence in court cases.

Thornhill & Palmer (here's where the revision comes in :rolleyes:) argued in 1992 that men who are unable to mate are driven to rape. They cite instances in the animal world that 'prove' this determinist view. (e.g. orangutans)

The BBC has this to say:

(Taken from this webpage)

I, of course, think this argument is bullshit. And my ex-Psychology teacher is an insane bitch. How can you possibly hold that view as a woman?! But anyway *breathes deeply* here it is. Make what you will of it.

I think it's pretty obvious that rape is a bad evolutionary strategy, for starters. It can lead to suicide and all kinds of unconstructive behaviour on the part of the victim. It also usually leads to rejection/neglect of the child that results from it, or even infanticide. So, yeah. *rant over*

Anyone interested in reading further should have a look at the following Wikipedia article on Sociobiological Theories of Rape
    (But only if you are not too easily triggered by such topics. Please stay safe when reading. This is another reason why revision is hard for me :dry:)

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2007
  13. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

We are NOT animals. We have a conscience and we have control over our urges. Women for the most part don't go about having sex with strangers just to get pregnant and then never see them again. So comparing it to the animal kingdom is a false analogy. I think for most women, sex is the most intimate thing you can experience with another person, and is only truly pleasurable with someone you trust and love completely. To have that forced upon you violently is sick sick sick, and messes up a woman psychologically and emotionally.

14. ~Nobody~

I was about to start playing devil's advocate and argue from the point of view of Thornhill/Palmer.

But I won't, because this subject is too sensitive for people here and I don't want to end up hated for describing a psychological theory.

Over and out.

15. hammockmonkey

hammockmonkey Well-Known Member

So, murder is an evolutionary trait. Right?

16. ~Nobody~

DISCLAIMER: The following answer is the answer ACCORDING TO EVOLUTIONARY PSYCHOLOGY, not the answer according to ME.

Potentially, yes. Depending on the circumstances.

Apparently everything is. Either because it gives us a direct evolutionary advantage (for example, because we kill off competition), or as a side effect of another behaviour which does (for example, aggression).

17. hammockmonkey

hammockmonkey Well-Known Member

That's my point too. I get the academics of the argument, but I'd just dismiss them as completely irrelevant in any actual real world event.

18. ybt

ybt Guest

murder is a part of human nature (which does not mean it can not be fixed and does not mean most people do it).

19. Darken

Darken Well-Known Member

Dont hate me for this but i think thats probably true. Having some one do something to you that you dont want hurts always, whatever it may be. If you can show me some evidence it isnt id appreciate it.

Murder is a part of nature, all humans murder even if its just another species its still murder. Im not even going to try and explain again how humans are animals jsut more advanced. I will believe in the truth no matter how cruel it is probably.

I dont want these things to happen but their life and life sucks.

20. Raven

Raven Guest

Why it happens I do not know nor do I really care, those that commit such things only the punishment of death should suffice, I have no sympathy or forgiveness for them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.