• Please read the thread in Forum News and Announcements pertaining to race related discussion on SF - thank you :)

Rapid cycling...contacting my dr today

Just sent an email to my dr about my rapid cycling behavior. I understand that bipolar may not cycle from one day to the next but there has to be some reason why one minute you are out at a store buying clothes and Christmas gifts and the next you are thinking about ending it once and for all.....

I wasn't diagnosed with it until I was 49 when I had my breakdown.
I wasn't diagnosed with it until I was 49 when I had my breakdown.
really....wow...what Caused your breakdown if you do not mind my asking. I really was pretty much normal until trauma occurred. I just don’t understand how I can have a relatively good day like yesterday and then today want to give up totally.....doesn’t make sense. What kinds of meds do you take?

Butterfly

Sim Addict
Safety & Support
SF Author
SF Supporter
Borderline personality disorder can be a result of trauma. I really don't think you have Bipolar your symptoms don't match at all.

Butterfly

Sim Addict
Safety & Support
SF Author
SF Supporter
It can be normal to flit in and out of good days and bad days when you are depressed. It's probably a good sign that you are having good days and may be that you're starting to recover a little.

Sunspots

Pffffeckn amazin
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
what Caused your breakdown if you do not mind my
I had a traumatic childhood but really thought I'd dealt with it. But then my marriage was hitting the floor and I went from a fully functioning person with my own company one day to being in ICU after an attempt the next. I didn't see it coming, it was like someone had set off a bomb in my head.

What kinds of meds do you take?
I take vortioxetine, lamotrigine, trazadone and lorazepam. But I think therapy has helped more than the meds.

I still do not understand why some days can be really good and feel normal and others like today are so flipping bad....and I mean bad.
Until recently I could go from okay to suicidal and back to okay again in one day. Major mood swings are really common with many different types of diagnoses.

It can be normal to flit in and out of good days and bad days when you are depressed. It's probably a good sign that you are having good days and may be that you're starting to recover a little.
I actually am encouraged a wee bit by the good days....just getting impatient I guess....it’s uncanny how predictable they are....planning my life around them now.

I had a traumatic childhood but really thought I'd dealt with it. But then my marriage was hitting the floor and I went from a fully functioning person with my own company one day to being in ICU after an attempt the next. I didn't see it coming, it was like someone had set off a bomb in my head.
Lorazapem is the only drug that ever really helped but my dr will not give me any more. Thank you for sharing your experiences.

I take vortioxetine, lamotrigine, trazadone and lorazepam. But I think therapy has helped more than the meds.

Until recently I could go from okay to suicidal and back to okay again in one day. Major mood swings are really common with many different types of diagnoses.

Sunspots

Pffffeckn amazin
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
Lorazepam is primarily to help with anxiety. I only take it occasionally, no more than once or twice a week as I really don't want to end up with another problem.
Maybe you could talk to your doctor about an alternative med for anxiety if that's what you were using it for. Have you tried any other anti anxiety meds? There are quite a few options without using benzodiazepines.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$150.00
Goal
$255.00