RE:Have You Ever Been Told...?

Scum

Re: Have You Ever Been Told...?

I got told I was too complex to help and discharged from the mental health services.

Scum

Hmm, I'm not sure if you can say 'most' when me and you are the only ones that have posted here and have definitely been discharged, but mine definitely do not like seeing people with BPD. They don't have any services and don't tolerate us at all.

downunder

My shrink keeps asking if I want to see someone else, I think she is trying to get rid of me. I have grief issues, and she keeps trying to push anti-depressants on me, and I don't want to take them, then she plays mind games on me, hinting that I don't trust her etc.

fromthatshow

Staff Alumni
SF Supporter

No but I have felt that way even though they haven't said it. For weeks at a time we'll talk about the same time and I end up saying, "I know what I have to do, but I'm too scared." And she asks what I need today, she asks if I know what I have to do, she asks what the problem is? And I say well it's the same problem since the day I came in here right, I'm just scared, I wish I didn't have to do it. I wish I didn't have to move on. I wish I didn't have to use what I know to be happy, because I'm scared and tired. And it goes on like that a lot.

Kaos General

Ive been discharged from 3 mental health services so far because i have BPD and "we are not geared towards someone with your thoughts", that was the first time. the second and third time they said they would section me because4 my thought process was all over the place. They dont like people who have done the same course as they have done. My experience with CPN and therapists is they think they are more intelligent than you and dont like it when they turn out to be wrong, but thats just my humble opinion

shades

Staff Alumni

Never! I've had about 20, so I was never with any more than a year, other than the one I have now for 3 yeaers, who says were just getting started.
AAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

To be honest (and I might get shot down here) I can kind of understand why a psychiatrist might say something like that. Esp. for someone who is suffering from BPD.

Which is why I'm a massive advocate for group therapy. I guess sometimes psychs are trying to 'get to the bottom of a problem and figure out why you are the way you are and why you do the things you do and guide you away into the world with positive steps to begin changing your life'

Nobody wants to be seeing a shrink for the rest of eternity! We see them because we think they are going to eventually find a cure - silly as it sounds. I don't have £60 to be paying until the end of time, say the same thing over and over again without ever finding resolve!

But group therapy is a way to constantly talk and just keep talking, there are new and different people there each time and there are people who are regulars who have been there for months and years. I never was made to feel like it was somewhere I couldn't keep coming back to and saying the same thing time and time again because I guess they figured eventually you'll get bored of HEARING yourself saying it and hearing how others sound when they do it too (i.e. maybe your frustration with them, will give you that push).

I think Doctors need to promote group therapy a lot more than one on one therapy. Or at least start with one and move on to the next.
Because for some of us there just is no resolve, we're just looking for a way to get on with our lives and still know there will always be somebody there to listen.

downunder

I go to a support group for people who have lost a child through suicide and have found it really helpful, they are free.

The shrink said she would never section me, because going into Hospital wouldn't help me very much and I would feel betrayed.

She mentioned this because i told her I was too scared to say some things in case I ended up there. So there you go not even the hospital can help me.

BlondRedHead

I am going to school to be a Psychotherapist. All I want to do is help people and actually give a little input. I hope someone in the field feels like I do and they are able to help you like you DESERVE!

TBear

Antiquities Friend

No, I have quit three therapists though who weren't able to get through - I could read them better than they could read me and we were getting nowhere.

Yet one of my daughters was dropped by two saying she was "over their head". In other words they couldn't figure her out. Another daughter went through three that she could never really trust before she found the strength to put in the effort needed to trust; and found a lady with a brain :wink: One son has quit two different therapists but the other son has been with a therapist for three years and it is working.

Either way - I finally found a therapist who had the insight to figure there was more than meets the eye, and he has stuck it out - and as a result has helped not only me - but through his support, has helped my seven children, by giving them a better "balanced" mother. If I can make sense of my feelings - then I can help my children do the same.

The moral of the story...You might have to sort through alot of mismatches before you find one that works. Also, what affects one member of a family impacts the whole and the entire picture must be understood. Understanding of the whole situation, whatever it is, insight, and the willingness to stick with you through all the garbage and "stinky stuff" of therapy is what is needed.

Don't give up...keep trying. Each person has a unique journey to health!

flowers

where I live, shrinks have one purpose. that is to diagnose and then write prescpritions. very few do therapy. This is actually out in the open. Its the way it is. they are doctors of the mind who diagnose and prescribe. Psychotherapists do the therapy. So going to a psychiatrist and saying no to medications would seem rather odd to them. Because thats why people go to them. To get medications. None of them treat patients without medicating them. Just the way it is.

downunder

Actually the psychiatrist I see says she sees a lot of people who she doesn't give medication too. Different ways in different countrys I guess.

Generally speaking psychiatrists diagnose in a medical way and prescribe medication. Psychotherapists and counsellors do talking therapies of various types... cbt, dbt, psychdynamic etc depending on their speciality and your need.

However to answer the question... yes, I've been told by psychiatrists that there is nothing they can do for me and they shunted me to my psychotherapist (which was better for me anyway).

elvinchild

I just switched therapists.. the one I just got rid of was awful. I saw her twice. I sat down in her office and spilled out everything I could about sexual abuse and PTSD, my troubled relationship with my parents, my insomnia, my social anxiety and resulting trouble with working and stress over money, my bipolar disorder, everything I had tried to do and my hopelessness and suicidal thoughts... she just said there's really nothing more I can do, and that she doesn't know how to help me, I just have to figure out what works best for me.

WTF? Seriously? How can you say that to someone who is on the verge of killing themself? I came asking for techniques and strategies to calm my mind and better regulate my emotions/deal with stress and overwhelm; she had NOTHING. But, I'm out of that situation thank god.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00