Discussion in 'Welcome' started by JV3, Jun 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JV3

JV3 Well-Known Member

I just realized that I kind of just showed up out of nowhere and started posting again without properly saying hello again. I am pretty sure no one remembers me from a couple of years ago, which is very understandable considering the amount of people that I'm sure come and go here. I already wrote a pretty lengthy recovery story in another section, so I'll try to avoid some of the same details from that post.

My name is Jay. I live in Birmingham, Alabama. My wife, Sara, and I got married on January 1st of last year after only 4 months together. Marriage has been the best thing that's ever happened to me. I am currently working as an accountant with my dad at our own small firm. I received my degree in English; so as you can imagine, accounting was never something I thought I would be doing. I have really learned to like it, and while I don't make a lot of money at it right now, I see a lot of potential down the line with it as we grow our business.

For a long time I thought I was going to go into ministry. I spent seven long years basically in it full time. I did everything from teach Bible studies to lead worship to even running a campus ministry in college. I worked with many different denominations and many different types of services. I've basically seen it all when it comes to that world. I reached a point last year where I had to get out. I had become confused and worn down to the point where I couldn't take it anymore; so, I walked away quietly from it. I'll admit, when it comes to organized Christianity, I'm a bit jaded and bitter because of everything I've seen. There are things that go on behind the scenes that most people who go just wouldn't believe. For me, though, my faith was not shaken because it was never based on the concept of church or organization. As a matter of fact, I would say since I left that my faith has never been stronger.

As far as why I am back, it's fairly simple. I reached a point in my life where things have finally slowed down. I've moved several times over the past year or two, my dad has been battling multiple cancer cells, and I've made some major life adjustments. Now, though, things seemed to have settled into more of a constant, and I felt like it was time I gave back to the community that helped me so much, even if it was just for a short time.

So, with that said, I will try to post and reply and be a part. If you need someone to listen, I can do my best to be an ear. I've been through a lot in my life. I battled severe clinical depression and anxiety as a teenager. I've taken a lot of different meds and been to various kinds of therapy and counseling. In college I suffered from an extremely difficult break up that left me shattered for 3 years and very suicidal. Most recently, as a young adult, I was very isolated and felt like a failure as a person. As you can see, I've been through a lot of different kinds of issues, and while I'm not expert on how to fix them, I am living proof that things can and do get better, and since I have been through a lot I can relate to a lot of different people. So, if I can be of any help to anyone, especially if you just need someone to listen, I will do my best.

- Jay
  2. youRprecious!

youRprecious! Antiquities Friend

Wow! Very pleased you've decided to return JV - I read your post firstly about 20 mins ago and knew I would be responding to you because of a shared experience you write about here. You may not believe what happened next - hubby and I read a daily reading from Celebrating the Seasons, and today's that I'm just about to type out and post to you speaks exactly of the dynamics behind the experience you write about - how crazy is that, lol!

.... watch this space,.....:fireworks:
  3. youRprecious!

youRprecious! Antiquities Friend

.... OK, I've typed it, but I think I'll PM it instead.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.