Ready for Help

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by skyway, Jun 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skyway

skyway New Member

My first memory of depression/suicide was when I was 12. 16 years ago. I won't pretend I haven't acted on thoughts or impulses, just as I won't pretend that I haven't tried many times to get help (counselling, meds, psychology, etc).

However in the last while I've confided in a couple friends with more than I wish I did - however once it's done it's done. Now they know more of the truth than anyone else and obviously are a lot more on top of me and my mental health than ever before.

So the question is where do I go - I'm open to discuss my depression but not my suicidal thoughts, suicide is such a taboo word and the last thing that anyone suffering wants is people to know the truth. How do I take the next step?
  2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Next step would be to talk to your GP doctor ok regular doc who can refer you to someone that will help you by councilling or will perhaps talk to you about getting on some meds
  3. spidy

spidy Well-Known Member

total is right confide in your regular doc about these thoughts as the quicker you can get help and on top of them the better.Dont leave it to long as it harder to get through the process of getting well and never react on them as its just irrational thinking at the end of the day.Keep posting here for advice and support also.Take care
  4. pickwithaustin

pickwithaustin Staff Alumni

Take this as you will but understand that it is intended to be positive. There is an old saying that goes, "The truth will set you free." Too many people that I see discuss how they don't feel that their therapy is helping any, and yet they admit that they won't tell about their suicidal thoughts. This is like going to a regular doctor and saying, "I don't feel good," and when he says, "Where is the pain?," you reply, "I am not telling." If you don't seek out professional assistance, you can't say you have tried. Telling friends can help sometimes, but friends often don't know how to deal with such information. I would start with doctors. As Total Eclipse stated, your regular doctor can refer you to where you need to go. If you have no money or insurance, there are state funded programs you can apply to for assistance. Contact NAMI and see if there is a support group in your area. Talking with peers who are experiencing the same types of issues can often be quite beneficial. As you yourself stated, suicide is a taboo word and it brings forth one of two things from most people not affected or afflicted; either they ignore it because they don't realize how frequently it occurs, or they are scared by it and don't want to discuss it. This is why trained professionals are the best bet. You cannot fear talking about it because your goal should be wellness at any cost.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.