Ready to make the call, but what to say?

Discussion in 'Help Me! I Need to Talk to Someone.' started by TurtlesInTrees, Nov 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. So I posted a thread a few weeks back asking for a crisis/helpline in my area. I was amazed at the quick responses and help that I received.

Well I need your help again. I didn't call then because my life seemed to become manageable. Unfortunately I've had a few set backs that have me sitting on the 'edge' again.

I need someone to talk to but I don't know what to do or what to expect after I dial the phone number.

I really have no clue, but I need to talk to someone.

So what do I do?
  2. nolonger

nolonger Well-Known Member

I'd like to give you advice but I've never rung those services before. I'm probly more along the lines of what you are saying - 'What should I expect/say etc'.
  3. @ LongRoad95: I'm glad I'm not the only one, haha. I've been sitting here writing out how I could start the conversations. Number one line currently is: "So can you help NOT want to die?", like it's some kind of business deal. I know it's not a laughing matter but it's making me smile at the silliness of it.
  4. NoGood

NoGood Well-Known Member

hello Mello

I have never rang the help services BUT i get extremely anxious when i need to ring like the government offices about my tax number or if im making a enquiry about something. And ya know what, its never as bad as it seems when you get off the phone. I constantly find myself thinkin 'what was i so scared of'. These people on the other end have spoken to soooo many people in there career that they will probably steer the convo and make you feel comfortable.

Good luck. Let us know how you get on.

5. NoGood

NoGood Well-Known Member

If you wanna role play the situation and talk out what they might ask, pm me :) But ill remind you, ive never spoken to a professional so it would just be guessing the possible reponses.
  6. @ NoGood: I know what you mean! I had to call a company the other day for information and it took me over 30 minutes just to get up the nerve. I'm extremely shy when it comes to those types of situations. And as for the role playing, thank you. I might take you up on that just to get some motivation.
  7. NoGood

NoGood Well-Known Member

no worries anytime. I took me 3.5months to ring up for my tax number haha, and thats only because i started a new job and they kept asking for it haha. And it was totally no big deal. Call lasted less than 5 mins, the guy on the phone was lovely and did all the work haha.
  8. NoGood

NoGood Well-Known Member

how'd the phone call go??? :)
  9. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Pick up the phone and just say how you are feeling the person on the line will talk with you If you are just wanting to talk feeling lonely say that if you are depressed say you a very depressed The crisis line was very friendly to me they help me get my thoughts straight gave me some coping skills They will only call for help if you are suicidal or going to harm someone else. It was very relieving to hear another voice wanting to talk to me. Give them a call when you are low ask them for their help okay. They are very kind people at leastthe ones i talk to.
  10. *sparkle*

*sparkle* Staff Alumni

:hug: i can understand your nervous and unsure of what to say. to be honest you dont have to say much to start with. even if its just 'i need help'. the people on the ends of the phonelines are used to all kinds of conversation starters and certainly on some helplines some people don't even say anything for a few minutes. :hug: i wouldn't worry to much - they won't think badly of you. just ring the number and see what words come out of your mouth at the time :arms:
  11. Chargette

Chargette Well-Known Member

I've called crisis lines before and it's very helpful. I highly recommend it.

12. morfea

morfea Antiquities Friend

Mello, I hope this can help, I called once, a few months ago, a person on the other side (young pdoc, i later found out) said very clamly : 'Good evening, I hope I can help you.' What a relief it was, but I was silent because of all the excitment, and he said: 'If you are not sure what to say, or don't want to say anything right now, could you just listen to me please, I will try to help you.' Well that did it, I told him about my suicide thoughts and he listened vary carefully, talked to me so calmly and basically told me what my options are, where I can go make an appointment with the doctor, what therapy I might get, what i can expect in general, and tried to make sure that I will get in touch with someone, a friend or member of a family if I don't want to go to the hospital immidiately. All in all it was a good experience.
  13. morgan

morgan Well-Known Member

I've always wanted to call one of these lines but like most of you I've never been sure of what to say. Also, this might be irrational, but I fear that if I say the wrong thing, like admitting to self-injury or constant thoughts of suicide, that they may call the police to "save" me. It is legally within their limits because suicide is a form of homicide. Can someone please tell me that won't happen if I call?
  14. Abacus21

Abacus21 Staff Alumni

I'd say to say that I could, but it depends where you are... Perhaps you could ask them at the start of the call if they would call the police if you were thinking / in the process of an attempt, and take things from there?

In the UK, for example, Samaritans don't call the police when a caller says that they're thinking of / in the process of taking their own life. All they may do is call an ambulance for a caller, if the caller has provided their address and they, for example, fall unconcious. Other than that, the caller is in charge of the call.. The calls aren't traced..

In the US though, it seems that there is an emphasis on 'intervention being the best thing'... You can find a list of global helplines here:

Hope that helps.
  15. morgan

morgan Well-Known Member

Thank you so much this is incredibly helpfully!
  16. Abacus21

Abacus21 Staff Alumni

No worries :smile:
  17. downunder

downunder Well-Known Member

I ended up in hospital for an OD, the CAT team came in and said I was not depressed, and out the door I went.

I have the same problem as you, I just can;'t call, when I have I have no idea what to say and just hang up.
  18. Well I didn't end up calling, but I did chat with someone on another help website.

Thank you everyone for your words.

Downunder: I really think you should stay on the line long enough to say hello. Give it a try?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.