Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Nikkij, Feb 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nikkij

Nikkij Member

I had a really big sort of oh crap moment when i realized something today. im going on a class trip to costa rica this year, which is the most amazing thing i could ever have possibly have the opportunity to do. but its warm there, and i'm covered in scars. so i have a choice and neither option is good. i can back out, and miss the once in a life time chance or i can face my class and have to show what i've done to myself. im not ready for this. i dont want these people to know. its none of their business. but is it worth missing this? if i back out, i will never get another chance for this. and its triggering me really bad. and i hate that it is because its what caused this in the first place
  2. xXWhateverItTakesXx

xXWhateverItTakesXx Forum Buddy

Try creams to reduce the apperance of the scars? Or you could try light weight long sleeve tops/ trousers. There are ways hun. Stay strong :hug:
  3. Nelly1921

Nelly1921 Well-Known Member

Hi Nikkij - I know its a big issue. It would be horrible to not go on the trip though because some of your negative experiences have manifested themselves physically. And you are right, it is none of their business. On the other side, chances are, some of your class mates may have the same problem. It is up to you whether you want to let people see or not. I have never been able to let others see but I have seen those that do and they just go on as if nothing is there.

If masking it is what you want to do then there are HEAPS of crafty ways to cover up at the beach and in hot weather. If swimming - for sun protection you can get what is called a "rashie" which is an SPF 50 long sleeve top or shorts or even long pants. They are made from the same material as swim suits. You can say you are wearing it for sun protection. You can get them online. Just google "rashie" and some places will come up.

Other things like light weight shirts, sarongs, cool baggy pants etc. You can get "Fishermans Pants" that are baggy online for about $15.

I know it means putting money into tweaking your wardrobe but it will be well worth it so you can go on your trip and be relaxed. Hope that helps. Have an awesome trip.

4. justsomegirl

justsomegirl Well-Known Member

I have really, really pale skin so my scars used to show somethin' awful. What worked for me was vitamin E oil. You can also try a scar scream like Mederma (I think it's called). As other posters were saying, you can find some really cute long-sleeved beach cover ups.
  5. Twocky61

Twocky61 Banned Member

:freehug: Nikkij

Perhaps a long sleeve T-shirt might be the answer as you really do want to go & why should you miss out on a lifetime oppurtunity just because of a few so called 'friends' who are actually not worth bothering with if they are going to judge you?

My advice Nikkij:

Go to Costa Rica, enjoy it & have a great time feller
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2014
  6. Nikkij

Nikkij Member

thanks so much for all the tips. :) i never thought of those.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.