Really intense weird dark dreams every night

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by GreyCat, Jan 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GreyCat

GreyCat Well-Known Member

I guess the title says it all. Since I started taking my meds two months ago, every single night I am having really weird vivid dreams. They dont bother me at all, but I wonder does everyone else get this from ssri's as well?

Before, I wasn't dreaming at all. But now its every night, and although my dreams don't bother me, they are darker than anything I would ever consciously think of. Is that normal??

2. black_rose_99

black_rose_99 Well-Known Member

Hi 88DEEX,

I'm not sure about the SSRI's causing dark dreams. Does the medication information leaflet give any information on side effects that could apply? I'm not on SSRI's, but often have dreams that disturb the heck out of me with their content. I'm usually a vivid dreamer, but I do find things like eating cheese make my dreams unusually more vivid. But I can't answer the question on the meds, sorry! Maybe someone else can :hug:

3. Youth

Youth Active Member

I have had vivid dreams after taking Lamictal (when I believe I used in conjunction with Wellbutrin). It wasn't extremely dark, but it was the most lewd dream I had ever had in my life. It should fade. But, if they disturb you to the point where you become frightened or even paranoiac when you wake up you should consult your doctor.

Since I've been off of my meds I have had dreams that have placed me in between reality and surreality though, so I might be just prone to vivid dreaming.

4. GreyCat

GreyCat Well-Known Member

Hi black Rose and Youth,
    thanks for your replies!! I'm not worried about it, was just wondering if it was normal. I know seretonin affects dreaming and sleep so it makes sense that altered levels in the brain would have some impact on it.

However, if I eat cheese before going to bed it makes me either dream about sex, or else have rotten nightmares and wake up with indigestion!! As vivid dreamers you will both know how strange it is what your mind can create. Outrageous stuff, I find.

5. Screaminginsilence

Screaminginsilence Well-Known Member

I have vivid dreams and nightmares every night on Flux. (Prozac)

From the dark to the funny! Sometimes i'l wake up petrified, sometimes i wake up thinking, what the fudge - how random!

The benefits for me of Prozac outweigh the negatives so i'm happy to put up with them!

for example... my and my boyfriend jumping from roof to roof being chased by some big monster type thing while the world was being destroyed by a tidal wave and finding a place to hide that looked like somthing from CBBC where cartoon characters were being murdered by the big monster thing.... certainly left me confused and slightly worried when i woke up!

6. black_rose_99

black_rose_99 Well-Known Member

Ahaha! I'm not sure whether sex dreams on cheese are a good thing or a bad thing!! :D

7. alexman

alexman Banned Member

i got that 2 its a side effect it passed after 3 weeks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.