Really nervous for tomorrow

Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by Butterfly, Mar 19, 2014.

1. Butterfly

Butterfly Pokémon Master Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

I have my first session of group CBT. I hate groups, I hate opening up anyway so I think I am going to struggle initially. Wish me luck!

2. Liquid Jello

Liquid Jello Well-Known Member

hi:

hope your session goes well tomorrow. and I think ur probably right that it'll take a little while getting used to the group, but after that it could definitely be helpful. good luck!

chuck

3. scaryforest

scaryforest Banned Member

shudder, cbt
    be strong and do talk to them

4. Butterfly

Sat in the waiting room. Anxious is not the word.

5. scaryforest

tell of how it was..

6. Butterfly

It was very awkward, at least for me anyway. There's quite a lot of dominant people in the group, whereas I'm less dominant and more afraid to speak up and say anything. I felt like every time I wanted to say something, someone else was speaking. I know I will need to speak up if I want to make any progress, but I found it so difficult to do so today.

7. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

You found it difficult today but you might not find it so hard next time. Best. Of luck and well done x

8. lonel

lonel Account Closed

agreed

well done

9. unionfalls

unionfalls Well-Known Member

Thank you sharing Butterfly. I have to do the same thing next week and I am nervous as well. Hard enough to talk one on one, a group scares me. First step is just going though. You have given me courage, Thank you! I hope you will be able to share of yourself the next time, or even the time after that, just keep going and it may become easier. That is my plan anyways. Thank You!!:encouragement:

10. MisterBGone

MisterBGone Well-Known Member

What I found was that once I said one thing, it got a lot easier... Before you knew it, once I started talking, it was almost hard to stop! And my attitude toward the whole group experience was not overly optimistic in the beginning, but that changed--rather radically--by the end.

11. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

*hugs you* for going! First times sure can feel awkward. Things usually improve as we get to know others.

Is there a group facilitator? S/he might just be observing the group dynamics for the first session or two, and then will step in to make sure the dominant people don't overshadow the more reserved people.

12. scaryforest

was once offered a cbt group and said no, mainly 'cause i had that thought you just spoke of, errone bangs on and you sit and listen. and can do that anywhere...
    however
    did you find it helpful in any way at all or gain anything from experience?

13. Butterfly

I had my second session today and it went better than the first. I was able to speak up a little bit more. I was also talking to some of the people prior to the group starting and on the 15 minute tea break so got to open up a little too.

14. Butterfly

Had the third session today and it seems to be going a lot better. Been talking to the group members before sessions start and during the break which helps because we all need to rant and we understand where everyone is coming from. Also talking a lot more in the group and participating more. So all in all I am finding it a bit easier now. It's still hard work, and we all say it makes us feel down afterwards because it is quite intense therapy but hopefully this means I am making progress.

15. Liquid Jello

Liquid Jello Well-Known Member

glad to hear that the sessions are going better, and that you've been able to speak up more. that's great. :)

16. issy

issy Member

i guess u dont have to talk the first time.