Really Struggling

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by SillyOldBear, Dec 15, 2013.

1. SillyOldBear

SillyOldBear Teddy Bear Fanatic Staff Member Safety & Support

Hi all. I'm a newbie to this site. Wish I wasn't here. But glad the site is available.

I got laid off in July. Still can't find work. But looking diligently. Unemployment will soon run out. Unless Feds develop a heart and renew them. I'm 61 years old. I've had a number of interviews, but believe when they see how old I am, the lose interest. Old people just are not wanted.

Never married, no pension, always done clerical work. Translation = no money.

I am afraid. I am angry. At the world and at myself. I should have done better.

Yes, I think of ending it all. Every day I think of it. The future just looks horrible. When it gets really bad, I make sure to get off my butt and do something. I know I really don't want to die.

Thanks for listening.
  2. flowers

flowers Senior Member

hi. So sorry you lost your job. It can be demoralizing to look for work and hear "no" so often. It can cause people to feel horrible about themselves and the projected future. Terrible place to be in. Sadly you are in very good company. Too many people are in that unemploument boat.

I do not know what you will think of this idea. But often volunteering can lead to employment. And it can help to feel useful. I do not know if this is something you can afford to do right now. or if you spend your days looking for work. If you do that, then volunteering would not be possible. I just wanted to mention it for those 2 reasons. It makes people feel useful. And it can open the door to employment.
    Glad you found this community. I do think its a great one.
  3. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

Hey, I hope that things will start to look up for you with the job search soon. I'm sure that there will be at least one place that will hire you. Try not to get too discouraged and keep looking :)
  4. SillyOldBear

Thanks folks. I do keep looking for work. Every day. And keep contacting politicians regarding an extension of unemployment benefits. Am considering Social Security, but that would be poverty level too, unless I find part time work. And part time work is hard to come by.

Regarding volunteering. I do spend much of each day looking for work. But that does not rule out volunteering completely. Some area medical facilities frequently look for volunteers. I do try and keep active in my church. Although some days I just want to lock myself in my home and stay there. And I am sure the pastor would not appreciate my nightly prayers for God to take me.

Thank you for your thoughts and support.
  5. jimk

jimk Staff Alumni

Morning She Bear..hope you get some help and that job you are trying so hard to find..

We are are really close.. I am up here on hill with anAuburn mailing address, just on the other side of the federal way city limits.. Born here and dad being in military been everywhere but been back for duration now.. Also almost 67now..

Would love over some time to get to know eac other better and then with my disabled son Johnny in hand meet at Starbucks and buy us all some good coffee and talk in person.. Do not say this lightly.. Please stay safe out there.. Jim and Johnny
  6. SillyOldBear

Would love to meet you and your son. Believe it or not, I am an army brat too. My dad retired when I was 11. Been in the Puget Sound ever since. Go ahead and pm me. We can set something up.