Really, truly scared, plz help

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by PressedIn, May 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PressedIn

PressedIn Well-Known Member

I know I've made tons of rant/vent and worthless dumb posts but i really need advice. Let me say that again, I really need advice.

I'm roughly 2 weeks away from the last day of my highschool career. I've failed for the year and have NO chance to graduate. I really don't know what to do. If I stay in school it'll just be an embarrassment to myself that everyone goes to graduation practice and not me, so the others in my classes will know. If I drop out I need to find a job. I've been trying very hard to get one the past 4 months but I can't manage and no diploma and it'll only be harder.

I can attend an adult/nightschool but it costs money and my parents refuse to pay, theres NO going around it. I'd have to pay for myself and with not job, and absolutely no cash I can't afford it.

Even if I do get a job it'll be something lame making minimum wage and people from school will see me and... well you get the picture. My car is probably going to be sold soon since I can't pass inspection and I don't have the money to fix it or pay for insurance anymore.

I dunno what to do. I know everyone will say "keep looking for a job then go back to school." It's not that simple, I'm lazy or bored or careless or whatever but I do NOT want to go back to school (yes I'm aware of the consequences don't run it by me again please).

I'm just deciding on either kill myself now, or later on after working at a job or jobs I hate for 10 years and finding out that the social security plan I've been paying into is gone cause the government "needed it more than I did."

*sigh* I really feel scared about no education, money, transportation and soon to be house. This is the beginning of the end.
  2. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

i have a few questions, before i can give advice....

how many classes do you need to make up in order to graduate?
    do you live at home?
    would you be willing to move somewhere else?

i ask about the classes, because if it's only a few, why not take summer school and finish up. i had to do summer school in my last year of high school to get enough credits to graduate. the summer program had kids from many high schools, so i didn't even have kids from my HS with me. it was like a fresh start.

as for where you live, if you are willing to move away you can also make a fresh start in your new city. there will be more job options, and the odds of running into someone from your school are very slim. in a big city you will find new, more interesting friends. you can start in a minimum wage job, sure, but just as soon as you have a little experience you could move on to something better paid.

please don't give up over this year's grades. we all make mistakes. it's what you do next that really counts.
  3. Choma

Choma Member

Slight embarrassment is the cost of re-doing a year of school but the benefits are just infinitely greater. What do you think is going to happen? You think at the cafe at university people will say
    "HA it's that guy who had to re-sit his last year of high school, it was all over the national news. funniest shit ever. Let's go sit with the lepers instead of this loser"
    Get a part time job and do your last year of high school again. If a customer service position is too humiliating due to having to see your friends then get a manual labor behind the scenes job. You don't need to waste the time. You can loads in a year. Your goal for the year could be to pass with straight A's and make as much money as possible.
    I have a job at a courier depot and I'm doing a really crap part time 6 month course at what is the equivalent of a community college around here. and I'm 20. But I don't think I'm a loser, and neither should you. In life there are an infinite number of opportunities to do ANYTHING YOU WANT. It's not 'get educated or spend the rest of your life in a dead end job'. You can do whatever you want. Find something you want, and get it.
  4. I would ask the same questions as Dazzle...
    I don't know where you live, but here, the high schools offer summer schooling to make up. I'm not sure of the cost, or if in fact there is one! I'm thinking there isn't...
    Another thing is that online courses (for any particular thing) are by far cheaper than attending a classrooom setting (that is, if you had to pay for it) - and fits in well with any possible scheduling you need to attend to. Though sometimes they do have "starting" and "finishing" dates for the curriculum.

Another thing I just thought of is that commercial job placement centres have opened up all over hell's half acre!! It's free, and all you have to do is provide them with a resume - and employers actually go to them to find candidates for the positions they wish to fill. It may of course be menial work, but the good thing is 1). It's only temporary - no contract 2). It could offer variety in that you're not in one place for long 3). You get paid weekly! 4). It COULD potentially lead to a permanent position in some places - if you and the employer agree. 5). The pay is actually often quite a bit better then mere minimum wage! 6). It's "a means to and end" - and not a life-sentence...

And don't freak about writing a resume either, if you don't have one yet. The library is chock full of "how to" books (also *free* - my favourite price). As well, there are likely many guides online if you prefer the computer...

And as has also been said - being hard on yourself is even a bigger bitch than what you suppose other people think. And screw the ceremony prep :wink: Many have been in your shoes - no need to consider yourself exceptionally fucked-up. Yep - we all make mistakes...and actually, those who never have (or think they haven't) have learned far less...

And you know what else? If your folks see your determination to remedy the situation, they may surprise themselves as well as yourself by turning about face...and giving you more support... :smile: (even if that's "secondary" right now :wink:)
    Last edited: May 29, 2008
  5. JCL

JCL Member

Speaking from personal experience...

Finish school. There are a bunch of different ways to finish.

1.) Go get your GED
    2.) Summer School
    3.) Re-take HS next year
    4.) There are some colleges like RETS Tech (you'd have to call your area tech schools) or Sinclair (I'm in Ohio) that let you start college without your HS Dipolma. They help you get it within the first year. They will help you with a work study program to pay for the classes too...
    5.) Job Corps. There is an education/housing all rolled into one. You might have to move it enroll. but their programs are great. my little sis did their program and is a professional chef now. really neat stuff....
    6.) There are online programs that let you finsih you HS dipolma at home. You fax in your HS transcripts and take what you need to to recieve your diploma. I can give you the name and numbers if you want to PM me... I don't have them on hand right now.

But what ever you do, DO NOT just blow getting your HS education off. You won't be able to find work that will support yourself!!!! Or a family in the future. I am in my late 30's and just now getting my GED. I wish I'd taken the time to get it when I was younger because it would have saved me alot of grief, saved my back from manual labor, and I wouldn't have missed out on a few jobs that I could've taken if I had my GED/HS dip in hand!!!! Like this job that I woulda been set for life.... and i didn't have my GED I didn't get it. It was a government job that paid $28 an hour. :( I leanred the hard way, no education (even HS, getting a cvollege one is best) equalls a hard life.

I am not trying to cram this down your throat.... I just hate to see someone else miss out and struggle... I missed a 1/4 credit in Social Science and failed... 1/4 credit. Don't give up, if one option doesn't pan out, keep trying. you are worth it.

take care.
  6. BioHomocide

BioHomocide Well-Known Member

You can get a GED then go to a community college, get a AA or BA and get a good a career.

I dropped out and I don't work either.
    I know how you feel.... Just make the decisions you want to make.
  7. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

Do not give up....that is the most harmful of all of the stated before, get your GED...make up the something to stay with will take less time to finish this chapter this way....and know, many ppl who are very successful today started with a GED...big hugs, J
  8. PressedIn

PressedIn Well-Known Member

Classes? Dunno but it's 15 credits.
    Yes, I live at home.
    Yes, I'd be willing to move.

My school does offer summer classes but they are expensive, around $300 for each class. In total, I'd have to take classes like gym and health since they are required each year, so it'd add $600 more onto the bill. And again, parents are not offering money to pay, and I do not have any to spend on education.

I am trying to get a job but I live in a very populated state and jobs are being given to those that have families to support, not a 19 year old drop out. Plus the American economy sucks.

It's hard to make a decision and I dunno what I'm going to do. Besides I really dont even want to go to college. So going into college is pointless unless I have an exact idea of what I want to do.
  9. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

It's strange that your school charges to take summer high school classes. In this state and the surrounding ones, summer school has no charges associated with it. It is a free public education as is the rest of the school year. Are you talking about a public or private school? I guess I am confused.
  10. jonstark

jonstark Well-Known Member

If you're in the US, fuck school and take the GDE. Shouldn't be that hard. Good luck!
  11. kittyD

kittyD Well-Known Member

One thing that is really hard to realize is that many of the people you now know in high school will probably be out of your life in the next few years. I know its embarassing but minutes after they finish talking about you, there will be a new subject and person to talk about.
    My 17.5 yr old son has dropped out of his term to work at placement work, and we are fighting hard to get him back to school for next term. Its so frustrating as a parent, we went through all the hurdles to get him diagnosed as ADD and learning disability and after 7 years in special ed classes he made it into a 'regular' high school, rather than a tech school. He still has different scales of grading for his classes and he can do them, he just wants to make money to get his car on the road, even though I believe in Ontario now there is or soon will be a law that your first drivers license hinges on graduation from high school or equiv or you have to wait until somewhere between 19 and 21. Sorry this wasn't about me.
    I grew up in a small town in rural Ontario so I truly understand how others can make your life miserable by gossiping . And you give them power over you by worrying so much of their opinions. But truly truly most of those people aren't going to be in your life in a few years.
    In todays world, education is the highest paid investment you can make in yourself.
  12. famous.last.words

famous.last.words Forum Buddy

i dont really know what to say as i have no idea about the american education system.
    sounds like you have some really good advice here. I had no idea what to do with my future so i just dived into a subject at random, and its worked out for the best.
    just be strong and go for it. Better to regret your choice than to regret never trying at all.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.