reasons for suicide

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by twistedwhispers, Dec 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. twistedwhispers

twistedwhispers Member & Antiquities Friend

Do you think that a person ever has the "right" to
    commit suicide that does not have a terminal illness?
  2. aki

aki Well-Known Member

Yes, it's within everyone's rights to commit suicide. It's almost always the wrong decision though.
  3. Kirsty_Ann

Kirsty_Ann Well-Known Member

People should feel they have the right to die, in practise i would like to think that they wouldn't need to exercise that right . . .
    But i place a high value on life so i wouldn't want it to be the case.
  4. twistedwhispers

I had something bad happen at work today.

I am worried about losing my job. If that happens, I
    don't think it will be the fact that I "want" to do it, but
    I will "have" to.

I had no kids. No husband. My parents are the only reason
    I am still here. Especially cause of my mom. But things at
    their house are getting intolerable. She has "joked" about
    ending it. I said don't do it unless it's with me.

Sad. Just so fucking sad.
  5. DrNick1010

DrNick1010 Well-Known Member

I think it would truly benefit all suicidal people to read "The Myth of Sisyphus" by Albert Camus who argues that perhaps life and the pursuit of happiness are in and of themselves pointless, but why should we so easily give up? Why not make a stand and defy our own logic and the absurdity of life and press onwards? While hope may only be a dead end, why does it need to be? He argues that the very fact of our existence is in actuality a defiance against nature and the odds against us, so why not continue on for as long as we can push the proverbial stone?
  6. Mortal Moon

Mortal Moon Well-Known Member

Yes. I'd even go so far as to call it the most fundamental of all rights.
  7. twistedwhispers

Thank you all for your replies.

I feel I have to do this. I am scared. Scared shitless.

I don't want it to go wrong.
  8. CatherineC

CatherineC Staff Alumni

Okay TW, this isn't about whether or not people have the right to commit suicide, this is about you. The individual you.
    There are things going on in your life that have triggered you into a deep depression. Presumably it was the 'bad thing' at work but that was probably the last straw. Losing a job isn't a good enough reason to kill yourself. There are other jobs but there isn't another you.
    By the looks of things your mother has some mental health issues of her own. Does she suffer from depression? If so, then you may well have learnt quite a lot of negative behaviour patterns from her. I learnt loads from my mother and it took years to realise that and then even more years to 'unlearn' the behaviour.
    Can you tell us more about your situation? Do you feel comfortable doing that? You can send me a pm if you don't want to talk about it on the forum. Also what exactly happened at work and why will you lose your job? If you're in the UK then I can give you employment law advice. (It's part of my job)
    You do not have to take this step. There are lots of ways in which you can be helped - medication, therapy, and coping strategies.
    We're all here to support you.
    Sending hugs,
  9. Kirsty_Ann

Hun, i didn't mean it was the option people should take but instead objectively they shouldn't be punished for it,
    Why do you feel you have to do this?
    well I hope it goes wrong,
    pm me if you want;
    you're stronger than this,
  10. twistedwhispers

I am sorry for any misunderstanding I caused with this thread.

Sit back.........this might be lengthy, although I will try to keep it
    as short as I can.

My parents, both wonderful people, have let a young girl, I call her
    Spawn, use them financially for years now. I have been helping them. In June, they had to file bankruptcy. The middle of October, I did. I am just waiting on hearing something, anything from my attorney. All the while, the phone calls are plenty ( I don't answer if I don't know who it is ) from the credit card companies.

At my work, my boss gave all of us in the unit a test to "verify if we need any extra training in areas". She didn't even want to call it a test. She called it a worksheet. 50 questions. I knew I'd miss some but I bombed it bad. Really bad. I have not been told I will lose my job but with my negative thinking, I can see that happening.

So, there is the main crappy stuff. I am 46 years old, have never been married & have no kids. I do have friends. But I don't know of anyone that would really be hurt if I were gone. That's probably an irrational thought. I know that but I can't help feeling it.

I am not going to do anything. But I will not lie & say I don't want to...with every fiber of my being.
  11. Kirsty_Ann

I'm sure your friends would miss you,
    Sounds difficult with the financial aspect but your life is a lot more valuable than any amount of money you owe.
    If you've not been told you will lose your job then don't worry too much about that; it could just be for training purposes; any extra training can't do you any bad.
    I know what you mean; i don't wanna continue with the crap but at the same time i can't do anything about it.
    You can do this,
    sending :hug: your way
  12. washout

washout Member

I'm deeply sorry, TW, for what you're going through. I hope you can overcome your challenges and live a long happy life.

I believe a person has the right to choose the moment of their passing. We weren't given a choice to be born; at least we should have a choice of when we die. What separates us from animals is that they have to endure all the pain and hardship of life before they die. But we can choose to end it if life becomes intolerable. A person might not have a terminal illness, but psychological pain can make life just as intolerable. He should go to psychologists and support groups and take happy pills. But if nothing works, he should have the right to end his suffering.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.