Reception/Checkouts: Ignored All The Time

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by Dark, Apr 21, 2015.

1. Dark

Dark Active Member

I was at a shop checkout today. There I initiated in contact with the person. I said "Hey" with a smile and was simply ignored for whatever reason. They treated everyone else with respect, but me. I don't get it, I was dressed a little nicer than usual, so it couldn't be an appearance thing. And I wasn't aggressive or rude, so I really don't understand? Does anyone else feel like receptionists and cashiers treat everyone equally and respectfully but them? I mean it's not like I'm asking for special treatment, just to be treated the same and to actually be served... you know like what their job entails.(I was ignored completely one time and not served at all.)

Well then, anyone want to give advice on how to actually communicate to cashiers and receptionists? I know people have bad days and all that and people can be in layman terms "absolute shitheads". I worked as a cashier before too, but if someone's nice to me, I'm nice to them back. Keep in mind I'm talking about the ones nice to everybody else but you types.
    So you see, I really don't understand.... it's not an attitude problem and it's not an attire problem... THEN WHAT IS IT??????

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

It is an ignorant problem of the cashiers who do that to you How you deal with them is be a little aggressive overly friendly like and smile and make noise so they do hear you like a very loud good morning to you and literally say eh i am here i am not invisible could you please serve me and not ignore me saying it in a polite way to them
    If that does not work go to the management and let them know how youare treated and ask why and see if management can change the way of their staff.

3. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

Hi, Dark. I have been "invisible" to store clerks (and other people). It's rude, whatever the reason. If you are not getting the service you want and that others are getting, maybe still be polite, and a "little louder." as TE says, you can report it to the management.

I've been known to behave somewhat rudely in return when driven to desperation - "Wow. Didn't realize I'd put on my invisible suit today, and geez, my voice silencer got stuck to it too!" Doing that is kind of risky - two common reactions - makes me sound quite daft and people step away from me, or it makes others smile (including the clerk, who then might start to talk).

Seriously, most often, I try to get people to talk about themselves...so I ask questions. "Hey! Busy day/ready for your break/long day/is your day over soon?" Usually people like to talk about themselves. Maybe that works for me because I'm a middle-aged woman and just seem "friendly" or perhaps "lonely." :dunno:

I sure wish this weren't happening to you. I hope you can get the good service you deserve! :hug:

4. DrownedFishOnFire

DrownedFishOnFire Quieta non movere

Was the cashier an opposite gender around your age? Just trying to think of reasons to explain why it happened.

Did you have eye contact when you said hi

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2015
  5. Dark

Dark Active Member

Yep,it was a female and was around the same age as me, probably just a little younger. And yes I gave eye contact and greeted her. The more I think about it, the less sense it makes sense. I mean is it really inappropriate to smile and say hello now? It wouldn't have killed her to say hi back...... well I'm about over it anyway, but was infuriated at the time. It's not too big of a deal I guess, I just feel very paranoid at times.
    Thanks for the help and advice.

6. AsphyxiateOnMisery

AsphyxiateOnMisery Well-Known Member

It probably has nothing to do with you, maybe she's just having a bad day. I worked as a cashier and sometimes I was so tired and pissed off I probably ended up being rude without realizing it.