"Recession" - Spiritual values in Poverty?

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Brighid Moon, Jun 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brighid Moon

Brighid Moon Member & Antiquities Friend

So many people are facing poverty right now. I know I'm not the only one. I'm fairly used to living hand-to-mouth, but many people now, who have worked hard (middle class, upper middle class, etc) are now facing losing everything they have worked for. Our gov't systems to help people in poverty are overloaded and the gov't is taking money from these systems (as well as education, health and welfare, etc) which only burdens the system further and leaves less to handle more. People who have never lived this way are freaking out, and with good reason. They don't know what to do, and are facing major losses at the same time. (I have hella less to lose!)

I'm thinking, there must be some spiritual/moral lessons in this somewhere - especially in the US. which is like the land of power and greed. Maybe social lessons, such as working to help one another, working together - the whole thing now about how families are having to go back to extended rather than nuclear, etc. etc. Thinking more locally, rather than globally. Whatnot.

Am I nuts to think that perhaps the lesson that I've been supposed to be working on all of my life could be actually being less greedy/materialistic and perhaps just giving up all of this that drives me nuts anyhow, and get back to basics? Maybe being able to help those who haven't been in the situations I have to learn to survive them? Not on the internet, but I mean personally.

We're supposed to be helping one another - and if there's any time to be doing it, it should be now.

Am I just an insane idealist? :hippy:

I have to make these things mean something.

Discuss.

2. Issaccs

Issaccs Well-Known Member

The only lessons people need learn are save a nest egg and dont trust the government to do anything beneficial.

3. Bambi

Bambi Well-Known Member

wow! I just got back from a demerol shot at the hospital so can't respond but I love this thread.:groupwave:

4. anonymous51

anonymous51 Staff Alumni

This recession is good for the poor. Face it, poor people are ALWAYS poor, no matter the state of the economy, the only difference is that middle class people now have to spend less than they could do before. This is good for poor people because house prices and other things are dropping. There would be no way in hell I could move out of my families home this year if there was no credit crunch, but because the prices have dropped its possible. A blessing for the poor, a curse for the rich, nothing wrong with that in my opinion :biggrin:.

5. Hache

Hache Well-Known Member

The economic boom greatly enhanced lives, education and what is available to most societys, from China and India to Canada and Wales, with every boom there has to be a bust, you get over it rebuild and go again.

The boom made everyone richer, including the so called poor, if there was ever a time to be poor throughout history it has been in some western countrys in the last 15 years.

It's too general a statement to say the poor benefit from the recession. Unemployment hits them the hardest, cant find work, struggle by, the richer people have more to lose but the poorer people have it harder to survive.

Cheap house prices will give some opportunity, when the economy begins to turn around it will lead to a lot of people getting a good chance, but right now it means little because you need a 15% deposit in the UK you cant have a 100% mortgage, most people cant get mortgages anymore.

What the UK needs now is Labour to fuck off, 15 years of funding the poor, time is up, we now have ridiculous benefits and far too many spongers, it needs the conservatives to come in and help the rich out, then eventually their time will be up and the working class will need support so Labour will turn up and it will keep swapping hands like that, like it has done for decades.

6. anonymous51

anonymous51 Staff Alumni

Conservative voter? Or dare I say BNP?

7. KJAB

KJAB Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

This is a great thead, no doubt will be hugely popular.

I have one point. I FUCKING HATE IT when people say "Ah we're back to basics and we'll be happier people" These are usually people who have lost fuck all, and have a 'way out' a security of some sort.

I have lost most, if not all of what I've worked my ass of for 20 years. Most years, I paid twice in taxes than most people earn as a salary in a year. So what's the point in me, a beneficiary in the 'good times' being fucked in the bad times? I don't have to pay tax now, so there's no god damn tax to pay the unemployed / services / public service etc. Do people just not get it?
    My business (and my employees) are gone, my house if worth fuck all and I can't spend a cent)

Enterprise and growth is what makes the world go around. Sure, lots of people screwed the system, the wealthy who decided 100million was not quite enough etc etc. but the real problem with this 'recession' is that the middle classes, the people who keep the whole system going, are being screwed. Those of us unfortunate enough not to have a secure gov job and who built businesses and employed people are the real losers.

Government sat back, didn't anticipate it 'cause they're all too busy fucking off to meetings about meetings and talking shit. They've missed what's been happening on every street for the last 2 years.

Brighid Moon, I really don't wanna sound off too much, sorry, this is not directed at you; but for me, there is no happiness to be found in poverty, no comfort in humiliation, no hope for my kids when all my plans are screwed. I guess I have no choice but to accept it in some way, but can I tell you for very painful experience, it's fuckin' hard to take.

Now, where is that xanax:rolleyes:

8. KJAB

KJAB Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

Anger management anyone?:mad:

9. Hache

Hache Well-Known Member

lol

I was for Tony Blair, he was what the country needed, the first two terms, working class people got the chance to become lower middle class like my family. There are thousands of people who have became the first in their family to go to university and have a good solid future.

But it's been 12 years now and that is far too much for any government, too many have taken advantage of the system it needs the change that occurs regularly, no party should be in power for too long because those who do not prosper so much in their regime will have been under the cosh too long. It is time for conservatives and I will vote for them, the first time in my life I'd be for them, because time is up, change is important, variety, now the country needs to switch, the rich and middle class need better support and they will rebuild the country til it comes to a point where the working class need help again then Labour will come back to give them more opportunity's, but that might not be for at the very least 8 years after conservatives get in power.

I am not aligned to any party I vote for what I think the country needs at the present time. That is not Gordon Brown, increased debt and excessive tax on middle class and upper class people.

The local elections show that the majority think time is up for Labour and the way they run the country.

Also BNP? wtf, how did you pluck that from what I said.

What did I say that was anti-homosexual, anti-immigrant, racist, fascist, pro capital punishment, national service and that every brit should have a rifle in their home

10. Hache

Hache Well-Known Member

That sounds pretty bad.

So what was your company about and what caused the end of it? Could the government not provide a grant or anything they have been trying to throw out to save businesses or were they too late

11. Bambi

Bambi Well-Known Member

I am faced with moving back in with my parents and have been wondering if it was one of those "meant to be"s or God/Universe (call it what you like) situations. I had toyed with idea before the recession and so now wonder if I was supposed to take that path earlier.
    Iam struggling with depression really hard right now and Dad is too-would us together be able to help one another? He needs physical help around the house to...is this what I need to get off my butt?

For me it has been a spiritual question in addition to financial. Gosh I am crying as I write this as I have been trying to explain this but nobody seems to understand or I can't explain it correctly. I just feel like there is a lesson for me or a test of faith/dedication to my business/what is essential in life.

I am so touched to see stories of others reaching out to pure strangers and do wonder if we as a society need to go through something like this from time to time to bring us together and remind us that while money is needed it is one another and some other force that truely sustains us.

I know my reply is more of a spiritual tone but that was how I took the issue and where I am at right now.

I look forward to see the replies of others.

Thanks for the thread ...very thoughtful and thought invoking.

B

12. shades

shades Staff Alumni

I feel horrible for everyone. If you're poor, or month to month like most of us, it's friggin hard as hell. But if you are semi well-off or even a little bit wealthy, like my brother...well, he's close to losing everything he's worked pretty hard for and is terrified and I'm frightened for his health and his family.

The bottom line for him though, and I certainly don't mean any disrespect to the well-off or welathy who lose anything, he definitely has found some new meaning to his life. He said he hadn't thought about the poor lately and wondered how we do it.

13. plates

plates Well-Known Member

i remember living on very little in the past and being very tight with money all i can remember is being admitted to a psych ward at the end of year. there wasn't anything spiritual to be gained from that. all i can remember is being under a whole lot of stress living on £25 a week and having my MH deterioate. i'm much better off now in a lot of ways, health, housing and having enough money (i've saved from years of not being interested in shopping or saving for university that i couldn't go to) and i find my spirit is a lot more stronger too, mainly because my health has improved, and my relationships have improved (i have none). people call me poor (and patronise me, make assumptions about where i live, my life, etc) but i don't see myself that way. a person can have a lot of money and live an impoverished life, as does a person with not much money.

14. plates

plates Well-Known Member

how has this labour government funded 'the poor'? how are 'the rich' losing out by people (some of might be rich and disabled) receiving welfare benefits?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2009
  15. reefer madness

reefer madness Account Closed

I'll be on welfare soon enough. My unemployment runs out in about a month then I'm fucked.

16. Bambi

Bambi Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear the Jason it is funny that I came back to this thread tonight as I am thinking of offering my extra bedroom out rent free and have a job opening as well and thinking of putting out an add "free rent and job for pay" it sounds and I guess is pathetic but I tend not to be as depressed when i have a roommate and am thinking of buying a friend with room and board thinking that during these hard economic times I might be able to help someone while at the same time helping myself. I see how people are losing there jobs and homes and I have both to offer and yet am in desperate need of someone to keep me company...I guess I see this all with a spiritual bent in that this economic crisis is bringing people together in ways that might never have happened. Sorry if this sounds random and disjointed...just where my head is at.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.