Recognizability (Fictional Characters)

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by William!!, Nov 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. William!!

William!! Guest

I have sent this message to a friend of mine, but I thought I would share it with the members of this forum. I know this is probably the wrong section, but I am unable to establish a connection with my username (my fault, and I am not explaining or elucidating). Moreover, I do not have the ability the post it anywhere else on the forum, without connecting to the server of the forum with a screen name.

Who do you think is one of the most recognizable fictional characters in the world? I am using the definition of "recognizable" as an adjective meaning, "that can be recognized." I use a great number of dictionaries, but I am going to choose only one dictionary for the definition of "recognize." According to one definition of the word "recognize" in one dictionary, as a verb, it means, " to identify from knowledge of appearance or characteristics." Another definition of the word as a verb means, "to identify as something or someone previously seen, known, etc." I am very interested in having knowledge about what or who is popular, famous, admired, recognizable, or notable. Recognition as a noun, is defined as "an act of recognizing or the state of being recognized."

I am using the word loosely in a particular fashion - the characteristics, models, or standards of something or someone being recognizable are as follows:

1) One has to know the name(s) of the character, at least partially or completely, depending if the character possesses a name that is considerable in length, or has several variations or versions of its name.

2) One has to at least identify the character as being affiliated, a part of, or associated with something, such as a comic book, movie, television program, commercial, magazine, or any other material or anything that pertains to fiction or nonfiction.

3) If one does not know the name(s) of the character, one knows the appearance of the character and is capable of identifying or associating that character with something, or is able to identify that character with being a part of something.

4) One recognizes only the name(s) of the character, and can identify that character with being a part of something, but does not know the physical appearance of the character, or any other attribute or quality considered to be a part of the character.

According to these characteristics or standards, I would have to conjecture that the most recognizable fictional characters are:

1) Mickey Mouse

2) Superman

3) Bugs Bunny

4) Batman

5) Spider-Man

6) Super Mario

7) Pac-Man

8) The Incredible Hulk

9) SpongeBob SquarePants

10) Donald Duck

11) Ronald McDonald

12) Santa Claus

13) Pikachu

14) Popeye

15) Daffy Duck

16) Bart Simpson

17) Homer Simpson

18) Charlie Brown

19) Scooby Doo

20) Harry Potter

21) Sonic the Hedgehog

22) Mega Man

23) Kenny (Character of South Park)

This is just a list of the fictional characters who I think are exceedingly recognizable globally.

In the list, I would actually be surprise if I have knowledge of anyone, who has been in existence for approximately nine or ten years, who had never heard of these characters:

1) Mickey Mouse

2) Superman

3) Bugs Bunny

4) Batman

5) Spider-Man

6) Bart Simpson

7) Homer Simpson

8) Pac-Man

9) Ronald McDonald

10) The Incredible Hulk

11) Mario

To proceed even further, I would be extremely surprise if I have knowledge of one or two people who had never heard of these characters:

1) Mickey Mouse

2) Superman

3) Batman

4) Bart Simpson

5) Homer Simpson

6) Pac-Man

7) Spider-Man

8) Bugs Bunny

To proceed much further than before, I would be absolutely astonished, if I have knowledge of anyone who had never heard and/or know the outward appearances of these characters:

1) Mickey Mouse

2) Superman

3) Batman

4) Bart Simpson

5) Bugs Bunny

I think that the overwhelming majority of people in every country in this world know about or recognize Mickey Mouse, Superman, and Bart Simpson. I have not yet have any encounter with anyone who does not recognize these three abovementioned names in the previous sentence.

It would totally amaze me to know that there is anyone in the world who does not have any knowledge of Mickey Mouse and Superman.

Those two names are actually "household names."

I also have read an article stating that Mickey Mouse is recognizable to over ninty-seven percent of the human population in the United States of America, and that Superman is the most recognizable comic book character in the world, with Batman being in second place - Spider-Man in third, and the Incredible Hulk in fourth. The most recognizable cartoon characters are Mickey Mouse, Bugs Bunny, Homer and Bart Simpson.

I can also admit that my lists are biased because the lists are based only a point of view that is of the United States of America. The only fictional characters that I would argue are recognizable worldwide are Mickey Mouse, Superman, Batman, Bugs Bunny, Pac-Man, Homer and Bart Simpson.

Unless one lives in a primitive tribe in the world, or has spend most or all of his or her life in a remote area, or cave somewhere in any part of this world, I can confidently state that Mickey Mouse and Superman are the world's most recognizable and iconic fictional characters. I am also confident that "everyone" and I mean "everyone," without any exception, who reads this thread knows about, recognize, or can identify Mickey Mouse and Superman by their appearances - regardless of where that person is located in the world (Africa, Europe, North America, Asia, South America, Commonwealth of Australia, or Antarctica).

I could be wrong (I highly doubt it), but that is just my opinion.

2. William!!

William!! Guest

There goes another point for me for creating such a meaningless thread (over ninety percent of them on this forum). I do not have any good ideas for an excellent thread. I do not know what to discuss; I am bored and weird. Yes, I am a weird person, and am proud of it for some reason. I have nothing else to type.

*yawns*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.