Recovery after inpatient stay.

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by a_andrews, Jun 27, 2016.

1. a_andrews

a_andrews Member

Early May, I was in a terrible place. Even though I had weekly group DBT and weekly appointments with my psychiatrist, I was stuck in a rut that I felt I was unable to get out of. I ended up taking a bunch of pills and woke the next day in the ER and was soon after brought the Psych ER at the same hospital.

After being admitted to Psych Inpatient and spending weeks in the hospital, I was discharged.

Dealing with the fact that I attempted to end my life AND hoping to never go back to that dark place again has been the most exhausting part of this whole ordeal.Constantly being checked on by family and friends who are aware, having to rate my mood on a scale from 1-10 at my weekly appointments, has been so tough.

I am not sure how to get past all this exhaustion and start to recover. I am treated differently by friends, family and even my Drs, I am angry/upset with myself, and I feel like I am stuck in an even deeper rut.

How did you get through the weeks after being discharged from a Psych Ward? What helped?
    - alison
  2. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Hello there and welcome to the forum, I am glad you found us. It's been a good while since I have been in a psych ward but I always found it tough getting out. I was angry at the world, really angry. The psych ward made me feel claustrophobic and when I got out I was just glad to be out. As for being treated differently, I know how that feels, if I sleep for a long amount of time (even now) my sister will wake me up to make sure I haven't done anything stupid, they have fear in them and I feel that is selfish on my part. Not judging you in any way at all just explaining how it made me feel. I think the secret is, is to just be yourself and be thankful for them to be there comforting you and helping you through this and making sure it's all good. You may feel like people don't care but they do, depression is a vile illness that lies to us. Sorry I've gone off topic slightly but I hope the next few days and weeks are easier for you and for those looking out for you.