Recruiting an army!

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by AxiomUltimatum, Jun 2, 2011.

1. AxiomUltimatum

AxiomUltimatum Well-Known Member

I am recruiting an army to stomp out all ungrateful, selfish, immature, ignorant and above all nasty individuals who think its o.k to pick on and abuse members of staff!

These individuals forget that moderators are people too. People who were once new members themselves. People who are here for the same reasons as everyone else. Because they are hurting inside. They have problems. They have feelings!

They're here out of their own time because you know what, they actually care! They care so much that they are prepared to take all the nonsense and abuse that some idiotic people throw at them and still go on for the sake of those who genuinely seek help and advice! They care because they want to try and provide the help they wish they had been given themselves. So while they are trying to help individuals here on the forum, who is helping them?

Why do these individuals have so much hate for the people that do nothing but actually care about them. Are they so blind that they cannot see that someone is actually making an effort for their sake?

These individuals need to get a grip and grow up!
    They need to stop moaning, whining and being pedantic about pathetic details to rules that are there for a good reason!
    The rules are there to protect us all!!!

We're all different and have different triggers and levels of tolerance to certain subjects. However some things are just obvious. These are the things that the rules try and protect us from. Of course there are many grey area's and opinions play a massive role but what do they think this is? Some first world country government set up with hundreds of laws and sub laws to cover ever detail? Even the biggest governments in the world can't cover all corners so how could they expect SF to cover them all?
    They try their best to do as much as they can and accommodate as many members as possible and personally, I think they do one fine job!!!

There are no ridiculous ulterior motives to silence individuals or stop them from expressing themselves. We can all express ourselves and yet maintain some dignity and respect for others around us!
    It doesn't take a genius to think “oh gee, maybe me talking about how I'm going to kill myself might actually give someone idea's or trigger some painful memories...”
    It's common sense!

There are many people here who need advice and support and who are willing to accept it yet they are being sidelined by these individuals who are distracting the people who care because they feel they have to fulfil some selfish need to attract as much attention as possible for no reason but that of amusement.
    Go play some tetris!!!

I implore you all to take just one moment to think about the people who are here for you. The people that make sure this site stays up and running so that you have somewhere to go when you need advice, support or just a lending ear!

Please think twice before you decide to say something because the person on the other end is no different to you!

I will be going out of my way to stamp out all the haters out there by leading by example and trying to help these individuals see that they are being selfish!
    I hope you do the same too!

2. AxiomUltimatum

AxiomUltimatum Well-Known Member

I am recruiting an army to stomp out all ungrateful, selfish, immature, ignorant and above all nasty individuals who think its o.k to pick on and abuse members of staff!

These individuals forget that moderators are people too. People who were once new members themselves. People who are here for the same reasons as everyone else. Because they are hurting inside. They have problems. They have feelings!

They're here out of their own time because you know what, they actually care! They care so much that they are prepared to take all the nonsense and abuse that some idiotic people throw at them and still go on for the sake of those who genuinely seek help and advice! They care because they want to try and provide the help they wish they had been given themselves. So while they are trying to help individuals here on the forum, who is helping them?

Why do these individuals have so much hate for the people that do nothing but actually care about them. Are they so blind that they cannot see that someone is actually making an effort for their sake?

These individuals need to get a grip and grow up!
    They need to stop moaning, whining and being pedantic about pathetic details to rules that are there for a good reason!
    The rules are there to protect us all!!!

We're all different and have different triggers and levels of tolerance to certain subjects. However some things are just obvious. These are the things that the rules try and protect us from. Of course there are many grey area's and opinions play a massive role but what do they think this is? Some first world country government set up with hundreds of laws and sub laws to cover ever detail? Even the biggest governments in the world can't cover all corners so how could they expect SF to cover them all?
    They try their best to do as much as they can and accommodate as many members as possible and personally, I think they do one fine job!!!

There are no ridiculous ulterior motives to silence individuals or stop them from expressing themselves. We can all express ourselves and yet maintain some dignity and respect for others around us!
    It doesn't take a genius to think “oh gee, maybe me talking about how I'm going to kill myself might actually give someone idea's or trigger some painful memories...”
    It's common sense!

There are many people here who need advice and support and who are willing to accept it yet they are being sidelined by these individuals who are distracting the people who care because they feel they have to fulfil some selfish need to attract as much attention as possible for no reason but that of amusement.
    Go play some tetris!!!

I implore you all to take just one moment to think about the people who are here for you. The people that make sure this site stays up and running so that you have somewhere to go when you need advice, support or just a lending ear!

Please think twice before you decide to say something because the person on the other end is no different to you!

I will be going out of my way to stamp out all the haters out there by leading by example and trying to help these individuals see that they are being selfish!
    I hope you do the same too!

3. Gingie

Gingie Active Member

Go Hazel! I'm recruited!!!

4. houseofcards

houseofcards Well-Known Member

Where do I enlist?

5. ConfusedSilence

ConfusedSilence Well-Known Member

Sign me up!

6. 1112222

1112222 Well-Known Member

Eh no and infact reading this has almost made me want to vomit as this has to be the biggest load of horse shit I've read in quite some time.

Has it ever occurred the to suck ups (who really just want to be mods themselves) here that a lot of criticism made against the mods here is more than valid. Because over the past few weeks in chat the mods have been acting like freaking Nazis by banning people for the most bullshit or reasons and users have ever right to call them out on such petty behavior.

Its really little wonder why people are leaving here.

7. *sparkle*

*sparkle* Staff Alumni

:hug: hazel. unfortunately threads like this often get flamed
    by the very people you are writing about and who have created the problem in the 1st place... its a sweet thread but like most things in life there will always be people who don't understand, or want a fight, or like to make sure they get attention by causing trouble, or don't respect other people....etc.... the list could go on. it's a bit sad because they end up missing out on some decent friendships and some good support. behaving within the rules isn't really that difficult and for the majority of people it's ok. A few people seems to struggle with it and i really feel sorry for them as they really miss out in the end.

8. Avarice

Avarice Well-Known Member

I wasn't going to write anything, but I feel as though I need to. It is a moderators job to put up with this stuff. It comes with the territory. If everyone behaved themselves and never put a toe out of line then there'd be no need for them anymore. Yes, it's unfortunate that some people take it upon themselves to make their jobs that little bit harder, but that's the whole point of being a moderator. Of course moderators have feelings too and deserve to be acknowledged as such, but if it's too tough for them to handle then they should just walk away. Nobody is forcing them to remain a moderator.

I'm not taking any sides, I just think that this whole discussion is invalid. I know how easy it is to see it as "us against them", but at the end of the day we're all here for help, so why can't we help eachother rather than declaring war amongst us?

I was a moderator at an anime forum a few years back, so I know how thankless a job like that can be, but like I said.. nobody's forcing them to put up with it, it is a voluntary role that is just that.. voluntary. There will always be arguments about rules; people saying they're not clear enough, that they're stupid and the mods are babying people. It comes with the territory of owning a forum. There will always be people who disagree and try and make things hard on other people.

Let's just let them get on with their job and stop fueling the fire.

9. Butterfly

Butterfly Pokémon Master Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

Hazel,
    I couldn't agree more with you. I do feel that our staff get taken for granted at times. We all have our moments. We need to support our staff just as much as they support us. Rules are rules. We all agreed to them when we signed up. They are there to ensure that SF is a safe community.

10. solutions

solutions Well-Known Member

There are so many things wrong with this thread. It makes me sick to my stomach that this kind of ignorance can exist on a forum like this.

Here are a few things you should know.

1. People who come here who are severely depressed or suicidal are not in the right state of mind. They're desperately seeking relief and are not thinking clearly. It's natural for them to have the tendency to be snippy or hostile when their frustration escalates. There's nothing abnormal about that, it's a defining part of hopelessness and helplessness.

2. The moderators are not stupid. They understand what I just said above, that the people who come here frustrated and desperate are not in their right state of mind. This forum is not like a social forum. The people who run it have some knowledge of the effects depression can have on a person, and none of them take it personally, because any hostility they encounter they know is not personal. It's nothing more than a sign of increasing frustration during a dangerous period in their lives in which they feel they have no control.

3. An "army"? There's histrionic and grandiose, and then there's someone "recruiting an army" on a fucking forum designed to help people and save lives.

4. To blame a person suffering from major depression for feeling frustrated and acting increasingly irrationally is like blaming a diabetic for going into a diabetic shock when they don't get enough insulin.

5. Your combativeness on a site designed to be supportive to those in need is repulsive and insulting. It also shows a gross lack of understanding of depression and suicidal thinking. The thread title alone makes that pretty clear.

6. This is how things will always be when we try to help people who are conflicted about ending their own lives and who don't see other solutions for their problems. The moderators and regular helpers deal with it, because it's a necessary part of helping the individuals who are dangerously frustrated, and whose thinking is constricted. It can't be misunderstood how much damage depression can do to one's reasoning and ability to think clearly, and also how much it increases one's impulsivity, frustration, and hostility.

11. doityourself

doityourself Well-Known Member

:irony: without the admins SF wouldnt be SF!!!

:sf::goodjob::admin:

12. Avarice

Avarice Well-Known Member

Why was this posted twice, in two seperate subforums? I've said all I needed to say in the other thread.

13. hollowvoice

hollowvoice Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

"You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time."

14. WildCherry

WildCherry Staff Member ADMIN

I've merged the two threads together.

Quoting from this;

2. The moderators are not stupid. They understand what I just said above, that the people who come here frustrated and desperate are not in their right state of mind. This forum is not like a social forum. The people who run it have some knowledge of the effects depression can have on a person, and none of them take it personally, because any hostility they encounter they know is not personal. It's nothing more than a sign of increasing frustration during a dangerous period in their lives in which they feel they have no control.

For the most part, that's true. We TRY not to take it personally. But remember that we're human too. Some of our staff may be struggling just like everyone else. Granted, when we agree to be staff here, we know that there will be some difficulties along the way, because that comes along with being a mod or admin anywhere. But that also doesn't mean it's OK for people to take out their frustrations on staff, just like it isn't OK for members to do that to each other. We don't allow members to attack each other here, and even though we have staff titles, we're also members of the site. Most of the staff initially joined the site for the same reason everyone else did.

Hollowvoice's quote says it well;

"You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time."

It's not possible to make everyone happy. We can only do our best.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2011
  15. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Well said Wild Cherry we are here to help and we do understand the effects depression has as we have gone thru it ourselves. It is not okay to attack with word toward anyone here if you are frustrated then pm someone or go to private diary let it out there.

16. SashaJade

SashaJade Well-Known Member

I have to say I agree with Hazel. I know I haven't been the model member, ive had 2 infractions and a chat ban... But some of the shit thrown at mods is just plain rediculous.

They are always there to help us when we need it... But how many of the forum members would actually think to ask a mod if they needed to talk or how they are? Not many I don't think...

17. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

do you really want my opinion on this....??

or will this thread, like every single other frigging thread on the EXACT same topic in the last two weeks, get locked the minute i chime in....

:blink:

18. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

Go for it Dazzle

19. lancashirelass

lancashirelass Well-Known Member

i agree with sam i haven't been a model member but the staff are here to help keep us safe and yet no-one asks how they are. Plz respect the staff members. And all members on SF it's not that hard.

20. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

okay, terry, you asked for it... LOL

as i said on those other threads, having a criticism of the site is not the same as having a go at the moderators. we are all mature enough to have a healthy debate on some controversial policies without the threads needing to be locked so quickly. we can respect the mods, and at the same time disagree with some of their decisions. it's not a mutually exclusive thing.

i can love the mods (hell, i used to be one myself) ... yet disagree with some of the policies...

coming up with new ideas for how things are run is a good thing, it's a sign of a healthy, grown up online community. it will only make us a stronger site.

yes we are all here as guests of the admin, i get that. but healthy, mature debate is a good thing. i wish there was more of it.