Refusing to take medication...

Discussion in 'Help Me! I Need to Talk to Someone.' started by lightbeam, Feb 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lightbeam

lightbeam Antiquities Friend

Well, it's gotten to the point that I am having to be talked into taking my medication.

Anyone else encounter this problem...?
  2. supermodel

supermodel Well-Known Member

I have not experienced that yet. I haven't been on meds in years although I need to see my therapist.

If you need me to stay on your case, I will! :)
  3. KittyGirl

KittyGirl Well-Known Member

I was supposed to have been on medication for various things since I was a child. I always refused.
    It was my own decision to start taking meds back in august because my overall mood had changed and I was hoping for an easy way to get back to normal...
    It's not going to be easy either way.
    Meds help some people simply because they know they're on meds- I think.
    There are other options you can exercise if you don't want to be on meds.
    In the end it is your decision... as long as you're not hurting other people.
  4. lightbeam

I have schizoaffective disorder... so I require medication to make it bearable.

I have just started saying no to my medication. My gf says it's my illness talking. I have a hard time otherwise.
  5. swimmergirl

swimmergirl Well-Known Member

It is your illness talking, listen to someone you trust and who wants the best for you, your girlfriend is probably the person to listen to. Your meds will help you, even if you don't believe it right now, just give them another try.
  6. lightbeam

I just get so tired of taking them. I became paranoid about it last night. Thought they were trying to kill me (the meds). I amost didn't take them. That's what my crisis consisted of last night.
  7. ThoseEmptyWalls

ThoseEmptyWalls Well-Known Member

I suffer with schizoeffective. About a year ago (give or take) I started to refuse medications and havent been back on them yet. My mom keeps trying to talk me into them - even offering to pay for them. They never made things any better for me. I was allergic to most and the rest I couldnt bear the side effects of. The ones that I wasnt allergic too made a small difference in my mental state but I suffered pysically with the side effects. For me the choice was difficult. I could suffer thru more medications until I found something I wasnt allergic to and had minimal side effects or I could go without. I could take medications and be physcially uncomfortable or be off and be mentally uncomfortable. Yes, Im physcially uncomfortable normally to (aches and pains of daily life) but the medications made me worse. I wont go into detail but I will say that Id ruther be mentally unhappy then physcially unhappy. When your phsycially unhappy it drags you down mentally. So I opted out of medication.
  8. lightbeam

I have no choice... I have to take them as part of my treatment while on probation. Come the end of June, I have no idea how I'm going to get medication.
  9. ThoseEmptyWalls

ThoseEmptyWalls Well-Known Member

I was being forced to take mine too. When things got a bit better in my life and I was able to refuse I did so. I will admit a major reason for refusal at first was that I just didnt like them. Then I started to refuse because I knew my forced treatment was coming to an end and If I refused the medications I could get off the program and once off the program I couldnt pay for them.
    Medications are really a personal choice and its up to the person who will be taking them to figure it out.
  10. morning rush

morning rush Well-Known Member

Some people HAVE to take meds. My mom is schizophrenic paranoid and if she doesnt take her meds, she hears voices, hallucinates and thinks everyone is out there to kill her..not to mention she loses touch with reality, she's lost in her own dream up reality...her meds keep her normal and makes her realise when she has irrational thoughts...sometimes she'll hear a voice but she knows its not real...and it rarely happens...

as for me, the meds really did help took a while but I saw the changes...

meds dont work for everyone...and something that might work for you might not work for someone else...if the meds are making you feel worse than I would understand you changing them or not taking any...meds aren't a miracle cure, they are like crutches...they help you walk but you got to walk
  11. lightbeam

I just find it so hard to keep taking the meds. I was fine yesterday. But I keep thinking the meds are going to kill me someday. But it's more of a passing thought.

I thought about suicide for a passing moment too. I just hate the way this has turned out. It's like I start to detatch from reality right when my meds are due to be taken. (The half-life of one of them is really short)
  12. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Just started on medication a week ago and already i feel a sense of calm on them I hope they continue to work as it helps the pain decrease a bit as well.
  13. Little_me

Little_me Well-Known Member

I was forced in the beginning. Meds helped me, though.
  14. lightbeam

I was fine again last night. I have no idea what happened to me that day.
  15. faded echoes

faded echoes Active Member

I'm schizoaffective and have been on meds for years...about 3 months ago I stopped taking all meds completely...I'm currently in the best state of mind I've ever been in! I'm not by any means telling anyone to quite their meds. I'm just saying...
  16. Mortal Moon

Mortal Moon Well-Known Member

I've been told I need medication. I've been told I have a serious disease, and that these drugs will "cure" it and make it "better". I believed these things for a while.

I no longer believe that my condition is the result of a disease, and I fear and resent efforts to make it go away. This realization, that I've been falsely diagnosed with a "mental disorder", has given me a great deal of perspective and a major change in my attitude toward life. The only way I'm ever taking an antidepressant again is if they hold me down and shove the damn things down my throat.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.